SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
ann9bnapa

Honey Dijon - a new rose for me in 2020

Ann9BNCalif
3 years ago

Honey Dijon arrived a few months ago as a bare root from Regan. It's still in a pot but it's been growing very well, a continuous bloomer, and while I might get a touch of disease in early spring, it hasn't shown a single speck of mildew, blackspot, or bug attraction. I was interested in getting this rose after hearing a talk from Burling Leong at one of our rose society meetings a few years ago. She was discussing rose industry trends and mentioned how soft beige-toned roses were popular as wedding flowers. She said a flower grower specializing in weddings had a difficult time getting cuttings from Weeks because the rose had been discontinued for quite some time but eventually she hired someone to work with Weeks to re-start this rose.

In my short experience, Honey D has delighted me with its range of colors from mustardy yellow to soft beige/pink. I really like a rose where I can go outside and say "wow, I didn't expect that!" and this rose has done that for me. It's technically a grandiflora but produces some blooms on individual stems with the high centered form favored by exhibitors, but it also has the relaxed floribunda look when it blooms in clusters. The fragrance is consistent and moderate, even in my windy dry climate that often wrecks the scent of many of my fragrant roses. While I'm not a great fan of the sharper mustard tones, overall this has been an unexpectedly charming rose!

Ann

More pics...

Comments (20)