SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
bleedfoot

Honey Dijon gone?

Bleedfoot
8 years ago

I am trying to build up my collection of skin / weird colored roses for cut flowers - and so far this year have ordered Spiced Coffee (Heirloom) and Koko Loko. Have my eye on Ash Wednesday, Lavender Pinocchio, & Tantarra but I might be too late this year. I really wanted to add Honey Dijon but it seems like it's just not for sale anymore!

Does anyone know where i can still source a Honey Dijon plant or cuttings? Any other recommendations of weird color roses that might hold up well for cutting? Thanks for the help!

Comments (38)

• Bleedfoot
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Ive checked with all three, actually! Sounds like no one is carrying it this year. Makes me wonder if theres a reason why?

• Related Discussions

Honey Dijon

Q

Comments (4)
    Carol, for me the point was having an evocative planting scheme. The emotional experience derived from the composition; not from any single plant. Honey Dijon was like the sofa sized painting that color coordinates with all your living room furniture. Perfect for the setting, but no soul. And I was hesitant to shovel prune Honey because she was so perfect -- how sad. I would have missed the experience of being swept off my feet by a rose that touches my soul. We're spoiled brats Jim, shovel pruning roses that are good enough. It's such a waste. Why do we do this? In our intimate relationships, do we settle for someone who is good enough . . . or do we seek head-over-heels in love? Maybe we need the same magic in our precious personal spaces; for inspiration, for renewal, for the expression of who we are. Or maybe we just need an excuse to go plant shopping. jannike
    ...See More

Honey Dijon and Brigadoon

Q

Comments (6)
    Thanks,everyone. Carla, negative exposure [-1.0-(-2.0)] produce darker picture. I'm not an expert and this is my first digital camera.
    ...See More

Lovin' some Honey Dijon...

Q

Comments (8)
    Greenhaven - Zone 6 (East Tennessee). My Honey Dijon is 4 years old. This year has probably been it's best year yet with less BS than in previous years - not sure why as we have had more rain this summer. Yes I spray at least every two weeks (Immunox is usually all I spray in addition to checking nearly every day for leaf clutter and spotted leaves that need to be removed from the bush). The color on mine is paler in summer when its hot but as soon as we get a cool spell I get more of the true color. I feed them Rosetone and fish fertilizer (was using Alaska brand but am changing to the Fish/Kelp stuff beginning this week). Michelle
    ...See More

Looking for Honey Dijon

Q

Comments (0)
    Does anyone know where it can be purchased in the US? I can't find it. Thanks!
    ...See More
  • Jasminerose, California, USDA 9b/Sunset 18
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

For an unusual colored rose, have you seen Pam's Choice? It's available at Rogue Valley Roses.

Filroses in Germany has Honey Dijon and shipping is available to the U.S. I can't imagine how much that would be, though.

• huckdog1
    8 years ago

I love my Honey Dijon...looks like I better give it extra loving care. I did`nt know it is hard to find! Good Luck in your search. It is a fun rose to grow.

• Bleedfoot
    Original Author
    8 years ago

@Jasminerose4u - Nice find!! Looks like shipping is 30 euro - plant is 18 euro. $50 for a single plant?? Ive maybe done worse - lol. This is a good backup if I get desperate and cant find anyone to send me cuttings- thank you!

8 years ago

You are welcome. Honey Dijon is under patent, but I wonder if you could contact Jim Sproul for permission? He has a blog spot, or perhaps post to his Facebook or HMF page. Good luck!

• Bleedfoot
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Oh, your right! I didnt even think of that. I will reach out to him before trying anything :)

8 years ago

This is off topic, but how is it growing roses in Seattle? I ask, because my sister suggested that I retire where she lives in Bellingham, the least sunniest city in the U.S. There was a forum member here from Seattle that recently gave away his HTs due to all the rain. I would like to be close to her, but the thought of no roses, gasp! Maybe there are some roses that do well? The unusual colored roses are ordinarily more challenging to grow. You must have green thumbs.

• Bleedfoot
    Original Author
    8 years ago

I love growing roses here! I love growing here in general- everything seems to want to live! It is really wet in the winter, but rather mild. The summers are dry and mild as well- which works for a lot of roses, just not necessarily HT's and others that love the heat. That being said, I see a LOT of HT's around. They aren't at the top of my list so I haven't really grow them, or noticed how they are doing out and about in other peoples yards. English style roses and a lot of OGRs do fabulously. When I first moved to Seattle and lived in a tiny apartment, there used to be an old ENORMOUS Alba in the ally that always looked picture perfect. Total Heartbreaker!

I haven't had any experience personally with the odd colored roses yet outside of Koko Loko which bloomed fabulously and was sooo easy and healthy. I love a good challenge though, so we will see what happens with the wimpier varieties I inevitably end up buying :)

I just bought a house out here and it happened to come with a very large, robust rose in the backyard- I think its a HT but i'm not sure yet! Cant wait till it blooms so I can get some help with an ID

Come join us on the coast! I don't know if i can ever move back to Chicago summers... I think I'd melt!

8 years ago

Oh, good to know. Thanks! I could live without HTs, just not roses :-)

• bethnorcal9
    8 years ago

Wow, that's weird that no one has it anymore. Being it's a Weeks rose tho, you might check with local nurseries to see if they got any in.

Holy cow! I just checked Weeks' wholesale website and they don't list it even on there! Wonder why they aren't carrying it anymore? Crap, mine hasn't done all that well the last couple of yrs. Maybe I better try to root one in case it biffs it on me!

Ya know Shmooey, IRISH CREME is a really good one. I see Rogue Valley Roses has it in stock right now. Burling might also have it in stock.

Burling also lists JULIA'S ROSE, another oddball.

The "Oddballs" are my favorite class. Brown, beige, rust, grey, green.... love 'em all!!

There's BUTTERSCOTCH Climber, which is a lot more readily available nowadays than a few yrs ago. It's the rose that started me on my quest for all things "weird."

There's also GREY DAWN...

and GREY PEARL

Burling has GREY DAWN and RVR HAS grey pearl, altho they're out of stock right now.

I just got ASH WEDNESDAY from RVR a few months ago. I'm hoping it will bloom a little this yr, but I expect it'll be next yr before I see decent blooms. Also, check that new Ludwigs Roses. They don't have the website finished yet, but they are taking orders for the ones they have on the website until they get it done in a few weeks. If they get all their roses from South Africa, they have a brown one called BROWNIE, and LIEWE HEKSIE is brown and mauve. There are some others they carry too. And they are currently listing a rose I had yrs ago that's a gorgeous florist rose called ESPRESSO. They call it MAMA AFRICA. Hopefully I snagged one when I placed an order the other day. Mine died back when I wasn't checking my sprinklers like I should've.

ESPRESSO/MAMA AFRICA - picture doesn't do it justice. It was drop-dead gorgeous. Can't wait to get the new one!!

• L G
    8 years ago

Beth, wow, I love your pics! Unfortunately I cannot comment on the US vendors but these are my favourite rose colours! Butterscotch also got me started in my quest for all the odd colours, the more off colour the better : -) I have the standard ones such as Julia's rose, Spiced Coffee, Honey Dijohn, Cafe Latte, Coco Loco (very rare over here), Teddy Bear etc. and then some others such as Mama Africa, Little Awesome Beauty (WOW!), 7de Laan (a gorgeous pink with brownish centre), Black tea, Marsala Panarosa and Liewe Heksie. I wish there were more such colours available. I can only dream about Lavender P, Ash Wednesday and Grey Pearl which I want sooo badly but they are not available over here at all...

• bethnorcal9
    8 years ago

LG that's too bad you can't get those last 3 over there. Wish we could get CAFE LATTE. That LITTLE AWESOME BEAUTY looks very much like INCOGNITO. Very cool! 7 DE LAAN is aka REBECCA SUSAN. OMG that's one of the most gorgeous roses ever! I managed to get it from Hortico yrs ago and was so happy!

Another gorgeous tan one is CAFE. I thought I lost mine a couple yrs ago, and got another one from Burling, but I think my original one is coming back! So now I'll have 2!!

Oh that MARSALA PANAROSA looks kinda like MALICORNE, only with more petals. That's another weird color. Like a rusty-burgundy.

One rose I need to try again to propagate is RUSTY. OMG I love that rose! It's a brown/rust/burgundy with weird, random stripes. It's not available anywhere anymore!

And then there's EDITH HOLDEN. She's a bright orange in warmer temps, and turns a purply-brown in cooler temps like another one... IRIS WEBB. Love those two also!

EDITH HOLDEN - first yr, hopefully will change color more this yr..

IRIS WEBB - last fall... took her three yrs to do this color!

Here she is in warmer temps:

Shmooey, if you're into some other weird color combos, there's also the original TWILIGHT ZONE which is a mauve with light yellow reverse.

and another Williams rose which I believe may be related to TZ, DOUBLE FEATURE

LG, do you have any pics of your LIEWE HEKSIE? I'd love to see them if you do! That rose reminds me of another oddball one I lost that's not replaceable here in the USA... BROWNIE, the floribunda from Boerner. I could kick myself for losing that one.

8 years ago

That Rusty is really beautiful Beth. Best wishes for your propagation.

• fig_insanity Z7b E TN
    8 years ago

Oh, Beth....you are a naughty, naughty enabler. Bad girl! lol.

I realize the oddballs will be totally different colors for me, but now you've got me itching, and I'll have to scratch!

John

• L G
    8 years ago

Beth. I feel like begging you to stop, or rather not stop :-) These colours are sooooo beautiful. If I could just lay hands on Cafe... or even Iris Webb... mind you, all of them. I should have photos of Liewe Heksie somewhere, I will just check my external hard drive over the weekend and then post some of them. The colour changes between every single flush, sometimes more brown, sometimes more mauve. But that is what I like so much: You never know what surprise awaits you for the next flush. Of course you are right about Rebecca Susan :-)

Your Rusty looks very much like my Paul Gaugin (poor photo)

but also a bit like Avant Garde (but the colour does not change)

Another Brownish -pink favourite is University of Pretoria

Peggy Gordon (again not the best photo - much more brown than in the photo)

and African Earth ( I do have better pics somewhere...)

Koco loco (just because It was such a mission to get it)

and then of course Teracotta, Hot Cacao, Castera, Winter Magic etc. etc. etc.

Sorry for hi-jacking the thread! I think I got a little carried away.

8 years ago

African Earth is beautiful. Here's a thread where you have another photo: summer-roses-in-south-africa You have some tan colored ones there too.

• bethnorcal9
    8 years ago

Beautiful roses LG! I was hoping Ludwigs would have UNIVERSITY OF PRETORIA, but it's a Kordes rose, so I doubt if they will. I believe someone said they are not bringing any of the Kordes roses over here. Bummer...

Hey I don't think we've hi-jacked this thread.. We're merely enabling Shmooey with all these gorgeous oddball roses!!

• jim1961 / Central Pennsylvania / Zone 6
    8 years ago

Great pics all! :-)

• Bleedfoot
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Holy Crap! Your TWILIGHT ZONE reminds me of all the beautiful new intersectional peonies coming out! This certainly gives me a lot of new roses to consider! I may have also accidentally ordered an Ash Wednesday last night from RVR :D

• Bleedfoot
    Original Author
    8 years ago

PS Beth, that Iris Webb in fall photo is mind boggling!

• User
    8 years ago

Thanks for the link Jasmine. I missed that post of LG's and your 'Lago Maggiore' and 'Figaro Panarosa' are pushing up my heart rate.

Are '
    University of Pretoria
    Centenary' and ' University of Pretoria' the same rose? Great shades. TIA

• L G
    8 years ago

Hi Irisgal! Sorry, I just saw your question. It is the same rose . Jasminerose, you have an extraordinary memory! I quite forgot that I posted those. Beth: I could not find my Liewe Heksie photos but there was one bloom on the bush along with many buds when I checked yesterday afternoon. Not the best photo and once again much more brownish tints in real life than on my photo. The colour does however differ from flush to flush- something I really love as each batch brings a new surprise.

• Melody Idol
    7 years ago

Shmooey, if you ever find it let me know! I'm hunting for it as well. I'd love to hear how Spiced Coffee is doing for you. It's in my cart at Heirloom and I'm debating on the actual purchase! :)

• Bleedfoot
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Still no luck on HD :( Spiced coffee has tossed out a few blooms but all have been very flamingo-pink tinged and bright white in the middle. Im assuming it just hasn't hit its stride yet, but so far i don't love it. Keep you posted as we get some more solid warm weather- as I think the pink is from cold.

• Melody Idol
    7 years ago

Thanks, Shmooey. I will probably pass on coffee then. I did order some butterscotch from Burling. And my distant drums are struggling along as bands. I'm curious to hear more about your roses! Are you growing for fun or selling the blooms?

• bethnorcal9
    7 years ago

Just wanted to update on that darn ESPRESSO/MAMA AFRICA.... Apparently they are not the same rose. I hate when the breeders re-use names. The codenames are different on the two roses. MAMA AFRICA has a codename of SPEbrown, whereas the original ESPRESSO has a codename of SPEresso. Here are pics of my MAMA AFRICA/ESPRESSO (nothing like the original):

Still a very interesting rose...

• romogen
    7 years ago

Beth, those three pictures look like two different roses. Which one is the quartered rose on top?

• bethnorcal9
    7 years ago

They are all the same rose... MAMA AFRICA.

• romogen
    7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

I like the quartered look, if it does it often enough will have to order one from Ludwig's. I'm ordering Iris Webb because of your great picture. Did you ever get Lesotho Prince?

• bethnorcal9
    7 years ago

Yes they did send the replacement, but it hasn't bloomed yet. I sure hope it's the right rose this time!!

• Curdle 10a (Australia)
    7 years ago

Goes to show the idiosyncrasies of international rose distribution. Honey Dijon is still classified as a newer release rose over this way and is pretty available both potted and bareroot order here. Saw one just today at a major hardware/home store chain as a body bag.

• Bleedfoot
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Pretty sure you can't ship plants to the US can you, Curdle?? :P

• Brittie - La Porte, TX 9a
    7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

I just wanted to chime into say that the plant I received twice from heirloom (different years) as Spiced Coffee is IMO not the right rose. I love it! But it has never been tan- always a pink blend. I ordered SC from rogue valley two years ago and it is the right rose. Very unusual color, but not vigorous for me.

• Siri z8b San Juan Islands, WA
    5 years ago

Hi all! I'm bumping this because I am currently on the same hunt. Searching high and low for both Butterscotch and Honey Dijon. If anyone knows where it's actually in stock and available to ship to Washington State, I would much appreciate the tip! Thanks :)

• hugogurll
    5 years ago

In that same vein, here's a shot of Stephen Rulo (the rose, not the person).

• Prettypetals_GA_7-8
    5 years ago

Grace Rose Farm has Butterscotch, Honey Dijon and Stephen Rulo. She’s currently trying to get her first roll out of these gorgeous rose delivered to all of us lucky rose fanatics but sign up to get notified when she starts selling again.