SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
daniela105

I need help :) Living room just bringing me down...

daniela105
3 years ago
last modified: 3 years ago

Hi to all of you wonderful people out there! We are in an old Four Square style home that is close to 100 years old. We recently had to change out our sofa and end tables/sofa table as our very nice pieces were shot from years of kids and pets. We quickly ordered a sofa and chair and a half and went with this three piece coffee/end table set -the coffee table isn't substantial enough. COVID hit and we never were able to get a new rug or accessories (art, pillows, etc.). Current rug is nice but too tan with the furniture -super boring.

Over the years I have paid multiple professionals to help us coordinate with our adjacent dining room painted in BM Spanish Red (has custom curtains that I'm sure you all will not like ha ha). No one can figure this out. I have purchased two rugs (Ballard Designs Lewis too pink and one from Pottery Barn -took a loss on both) and am spending hours trying to figure out how to tie these spaces together (or to just figure out a new cost effective scheme -painting the rooms a neutral color -living room is dark as it is next to a large covered porch).

I would love any ideas on how to find a rug, paint color, add interest to the fireplace area (please see picture of close up of stained glass window -there are two of them). I love my chandelier in the dining room so that must stay :) This is not a contemporary space and can't be -I'm looking for traditional or transitional I suppose -tend to prefer lots of fun color.

I'm really not able to decorate. I have tried and am beyond disappointed in myself. With everything going on in the world, it would bring me peace to have our main living space together (this living room is the only one on this floor so it has to serve many purposes). Yes the entertainment center is not stunning and could use a new solution -it has to be in that corner with tv mounted there -agh. Pictures of surrounding dining/kitchen included - kitchen is BM Fernwood Green (I love this color), dining room BM Spanish Red (pretty dated I suppose but it looks elegant in person), living room currently SW Whole Wheat -I'm tired of it and it pulls too much green in this room due to the lighting. Pictures are out of order but it is too hard to fix at this point. :) I'm working and home schooling and am trying to figure out once and for all how to have a space that we enjoy and are proud of. I am a house person -spouse is not -the space affects me and is one thing I can control during these challenging times.

Thank you for reading all of this and for any thoughts you can provide. Have a great day!

Comments (67)

Sponsored
Dream Baths by Kitchen Kraft
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars12 Reviews
Your Custom Bath Designers & Remodelers in Columbus I 10X Best Houzz