SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
abojeva

Help me decorate my living room - Desperate help needed!

Alex B
5 years ago
last modified: 5 years ago

*sigh* This post has been overdue for about a year now. I had posted here before when we picked our house finishing and couch as I was unsure of some things. As suspected, I did not turn out to be a fan of the couch we picked. I have been trying to put our space together for about a year now and it just isn't coming to me, at least not the way I imagined. There is about 300$ worth of pillows sitting in our basement because I keep changing my mind just about every week thinking that maybe orange/brown/blue/purple/taupe will finally tie everything in together and make the couch blend in with the rest of the space like I imagined it but it's just not working. Took us a while to pick art work and as much as I actually do like it, I wonder..is it the artwork that doesn't go well? is it the couch? the pillows? The carpet? Now I am starting to question the color of the dining chairs/bar stools..should we have went darker and THEN the couch will match? I am afraid we went too light everything and now I am struggling to create contrast. It has been a struggle for me to decorate and I have come to accept it just isn't my forte so I have snapped a few pics of our space here and if anyone has any ideas of where I am going wrong, I would LOVE to hear them because right now I am unhappy and I just don't know why. We love the finishing we picked for the house but the decorating part is simply killing me.

A few notes: The art piece behind the dining table will most likely go in another area of the house - it will be replaced with a floor length thick walnut mirror which is being custom ordered. I am thinking of selecting new pots for our plants as soon as I can settle on a color. Some sort of curtains will be most likely added to the living room eventually but again - colors...

I am also thinking of getting rid of the carpet under the dining table - most likely will get rid of it eventually but keep the one under the coffee table. Do I need a new carpet? New pillows? New couch?

*Help*

Comments (51)

• Alex B
    Original Author
    5 years ago

I saw it in 3 different model homes in the builder we picked with...I liked it so I thought it might be nice separation from the living room area. Essentially because the floor plan is so open, I hate how we picked a tad darker couch but not "darker" enough - I feel like it is creamy, yet not the color of the chairs, yet not dark enough to be actually standing on it's own...SO I felt if I do a mirror there and painting only above couch, it may "separate" it....maybe another mirror, like not floor length but like...above dining table level? Not sure how to describe it..so then should I keep the painting? Remove the carpet? Just so confused :( I think it is the couch color throwing me off, but there is no getting rid of it - it was custom and expensive and even if I try and sell it, I won't even get half what I paid...

• 2pups4me
    5 years ago

I agree with My3dogs - I wouldn't use a mirror. The art is beautiful. I would lose the rug under the dining table - it's too small anyway. You could go with a larger rug under the sectional. It's a lovely space.

• Related Discussions

Help me fine tune my living room decor/vignettes (pics)

Q

Comments (24)
    Thank you everyone for all the suggestions. First off, I had been meaning to post what I ended up doing with my botanicals. I had a set of four and a set of three. The set of three I decided to put in my dining room (also bought a larger mirror and moved the other one to my hallway, hung vertically) and the set of four I decided to put in my bedroom. I felt the set of four had too much lavender/purple for the LR plus I felt they were competing with the mantle picture and there were too many rectangular shapes. Here are the finished botanicals, though: It's interesting to me that the scale looks different IRL than in pics. Has anyone else found that to be the case? Some of my smaller items look lost in the photos, but don't IRL. I am actually finding the walls to be looking quite busy. Here are a couple of closer shots of some of the items in question. The statuary actually is from an old lamp, but the lamp part was removed. The oval pic is a water color which I bought at an antique store. There is something appealing to me about balancing out the rectangular artwork with oval ones. I have two mini oval frames in my entry plus an oval entry mirror and I actually bought two more smaller oval pictures (abouit 6"x9" just for the frames which are quite similar to the watercolor). I have toyed back and forth with swapping the curio and palm. What I did not like about the curio in the right corner is that it does not go flush to the wall due to the base molding so there is about a 1" between the curio back and the wall which is visable, where in the opposite corner I don't see it. The plam tree is also basically my place holder for the Christmas tree as I will take it out of the room, move a chair and put the Christmas tree. I also like the tables diagonally apart from one another. I like the suggestion to group the books together with bookends either on the piano or mantle so I will be on the lookout for some bookends. Mostly, I'm still not sure how to finish off the table vignettes or what to look for. Also, most pressing is what tyle of lampshade for the ginger jar. I don't want to emphasize the pink/rose color overmuch so was thinking of a dark wine color that would match to some of the dark red in my drapes. It seems not many like the little mirror/sconce arrangement so will have to rethink that. I felt the walls to either side needed something to balance out the scale of the mantle painting--at the same time not compete with it.
    ...See More

Please help me find a rug and accent pillows for my living room.

Q

Comments (12)
    Alex, I found that rug at Plush Rugs and also at Overstock. You might have to do a search to find it in Canada. https://plushrugs.com/safavieh/bristol/btl355m/#blue-multi
    ...See More

Help me fix /decorate my my living room into Eclectic and yet cosy.

Q

Comments (34)
    Don't move the credenza then. Get an area rug, center one group of seating around fireplace and conversation and then maybe get a tea cart or something and put a small chair or two around that near the doors/windows to the outside. You can sit and sip your tea and watch the birdies outside there in the winter! When the weather gets nice you can carry the chairs out to the deck to sit in the sun! Then roll the cart out there with some cocktails later in the day!
    ...See More

Updated: "Help me decorate my living room - Desperate help needed!"

Q

Comments (1)
    I see a few things that aren’t horrible, by any means, but could be changed. Mirror and sideboard, for instance, as mirror is too large for the sideboard and it overwhelms the room, reflecting the t v. Try the art over the sideboard and add a floor lamp where the plant is, as it will do double duty for the sofa and the art. Have you ever thought about adding a floor to ceiling strip of trim to separate the dining area from the living area and painting that wall a color? Something like this with a couple of white shelves on that wall?
    ...See More
  • PRO
    CDR Design, LLC
    5 years ago

Overall a lovely space. One issue is that the furniture is a little bulky for the amount of room you have. Here is what I'd do

-turn both pieces of art the other way

-remove all plants

-get a lower console for the tv

-hang tv on wall

-replace the end table with a lighter feel one (or at least turn it the other direction.

-ideally, I'd get a lower profile (not as bulky sectional

-turn diining table in the other direction (if it works). I can't tell.

-remove rug under dining table

-larger rug for under sectional.

• User
    5 years ago

I too thought turning the dining table would help, but I don't think there is room. If the sofa is loved, then replace the dining table with a round one and ditch the rugs (carpets). Place the end table somewhere else and move the sectional so it is centered under the windows. Add a console table under the art that is now on the wall behind the sectional and add some lamps on it. Remove the fake plants entirely. Add a large rug with pattern and colors from your art and big enough that all legs of the sectional are well on the rug and then place your coffee table. Pick only one of the colors from your art for pillows (also with pattern) and perhaps a throw. Having all solid colors is adding to your color dilemma. It would be nice to wall mount your television and add a more modern long low console beneath it. Then....consider some reasonably sized real plants. Thanks for letting me share.

• K R
    5 years ago
    It’s a very nice space! I agree, remove all the plants. Maybe just the one in the corner would be ok. The rugs do not work...maybe it’s the size maybe it’s the shag, but I’d take them both out. Then take another picture.
  • 2pups4me
    5 years ago

If you can take a pic standing at the window, looking back at he dining area and island that might help with suggestions.

• cawaps
    5 years ago

While it is clear you are dissatisfied with the space, I think you need to be kinder to yourself. It's a very pretty space and at most needs minor tweaks, not a major overhaul.

Photos and monitors don't always tell the whole story, but I don't see any problem or conflict between the sofa color and the chair color. I do think that both rugs are too small for their spaces (dining rugs should be big enough that the chairs stay on the rug when you pull them out, and in the living area, the rug should extend under at least the front legs of the furniture), but I don't think there is enough separation of the spaces to make both larger. So I'm on board with your idea to remove the dining rug, and I suggest getting a larger one for the seating area.

I love the artwork, and think it makes the space. I don't think a mirror will look as good.

• PRO
    CDR Design, LLC
    5 years ago

How often do you use your dining table, how many sit at it and how often do you use the back deck?

Could we please have more photos of the living area?

• ctlane
    5 years ago

I too was expecting something different from your explanation. I think it is lovely. Sure, you could tweak things. Since so many suggested to take away the dining rug and get a larger living room rug, why not just put the two rugs side by side in the living room since they are essentially the same rug.

• Apple JT
    5 years ago

That art is stunning! I've been looking for something similar. May I ask where you got the art and greenery in your home? :-)

• Nicole Cooley
    5 years ago

I Love your space! I think the others are right in needing a larger rug/rugs, get rid of the palm by the tv, that one is too much and doesn’t match the vibe to me and then hang the tv on the wall. It’s a beautiful space, I am way jealous of your kitchen! :)

• Olychick
    5 years ago

I think it's a lovely room with just some tweaking...although we're all going to disagree on the tweaks, I suppose. To me the outliers are the dining chairs. They are very white and dominate the whole space, while emphasizing the "dullness" of the color of the couch - which is fine on it's own. I think wood backed chairs might add some relief, or if they are beloved chairs, perhaps recover in a subtle pattern or color. If nothing else, if no more than 4 people dine there regularly, I'd remove the end chairs and place them elsewhere in your home until needed. If you've committed to the mirror for the dining room, try it. Most people won't like looking at themselves while eating, but if there are people across the table with their backs to the mirror, they will be blocking the view! It might look great on that wall.

I like the tv console you have and it's refreshing to see a tv NOT mounted on the wall. The greenery adds some softness to the area, a bit of camouflage for the tv, but if they are fake plants, I'd replace with live ones.

Try the dining rug in the living room; both are too small for where they are being used; the dining might fit the living area better; it's larger, right? You could then try the living room rug in front of the tv console.

You're going to get there. It's really a nice space.

• erinsean
    5 years ago

Love all the plants....since you have a lot of light, I hope they are real ones. Your rooms are very nice but I know the feeling of wanting a "change".

• Pugga70
    5 years ago

Following......

• njmomma
    5 years ago

following

• Pugga70
    5 years ago

Following.....

• kjoy1
    5 years ago

Really lovely home...all of these suggestions are just nitpicking...

*I love your art and would keep it

*I would remove the rug under your kitchen table

*I would add black, white, ivory, and textured pillows

*I would get a larger rug for your living room

• Hamma
    5 years ago

Alex B, there might be a simple explanation as to why you saw a mirror in the model homes. The idea is to appeal to "wide masses", therefore it's very typical to see either mirrors or "non-offensive" art in those types of spaces. Rarely do you see a nude painting in a master bedroom :). This is your home. You (and your family) live there. It's not a model home nor it should be. I'm sure you'd find a good spot for your new mirror, it just doesn't have to be dining area...

(Lovely space you've got, btw).

• Awilliams Will
    5 years ago
    Hi Alex B. I felt like a knew you when I read your story. I relax so much to the buying and thinking about color as unfortunately this doesn't come naturally to me. Questions...do you like what's in your space? Is it your style? Did you just carry items over from your last living space? Does this style feel like you? For myself I don't buy what I like I buy what I think I like. If you don't love it and wouldn't want to live with it every day..don't buy it! Simple questions I ask myself..do i love this? Do i want this in my home or am i just trying to finish the space? Deep breathes...this doesn't come naturally to all of us and much like the bones of a house it takes time to build!! keep us updated!
  • Aleksandra Bojeva
    5 years ago

First of all, THANK YOU SO MUCH from bottom of my heart (truly) to all who took time to respond. To answer to the few questions I got here - not sure how to respond to each indivdual person so posting this answer for everyone:

- To those who liked our art - we live in Canada and the art was purchased from Mobilia. We liked it because it is not a print but actual painting and it is signed by the artist, who is Kaezar. From googling him, he has an organization who does art for hotels, private homes, model homes, etc. We are not rich enough to invest in gallery art unfortunately but I felt this was as close as we would get to the real thing and we really like them .

- The dining table - I see a lot of people mentioned it is too large/too many chairs. This table is extendable and can be brought down to 4 seaters -the middle part which is wood can be completely taken out which makes the table very small and the larges it extends to is to sit is 8 people. The picture above is actually of the table extended as we had guests recently and we just hadn't bothered to take out the extensions and the extra chairs down to our basement, where they usually go when we don't have guest. So it is definitely "workable" in terms of how large it gets. Also to those who asked how many people usually sit on the table -the answer is none. It is only my husband and I who live in the house, no children or other adults and we eat on the barstools when we do. The table is essentially only used for guests.

-I was VERY surprised to see that majority of people thought the plants were fake - the plants are totally real. I think growing up in an Eastern European household, we usually have a LOT Of plants no matter the space and when we moved in my mother gave me these and we didn't expect them to get this large. I am not attached to them particularly, it is just something we always had in our culture growing up so we sort of consider it "normal". They can be removed/changed. Ideally, I would like to have some sort of real plant in the house so any suggestions on size/placement would be helpful.

- I had a question asking how often we use the back deck - do you mean the outside backyard? Sorry I did not understand the question too well. This is a new house and we are only getting around to building a deck in our backyard now. It is quite a large backyard compared to other houses around us -we were lucky to get a larger area so we are still thinking how to make it work for us- how big of a deck, what color, outside kitchen or not, pool or not, etc. Essentially we haven't gotten that far yet.

- I will attach more photos of the living room a bit later today as I am work right now and I do not have the opportunity.

- DO you guys think we need curtains? If so, what color? Do we get rid of our couch completely?..If we were to X the couch, what couch would you put there?

- Thank you ALL once again, I will snap a few more photos of our space later on and post here.

• Aleksandra Bojeva
    5 years ago

Forgot to add..for those who suggested the art be turned the other way- not possible as the art is signed by the artist and it is very visible in person where his signature sits. If we were to turn it around, it would be extremely obvious they aren't supposed to be hung this way.

• lizziesma
    5 years ago

I like the last mockup...it seems with a little bit of white in rug and pillows, the difference in chair and sofa color looks intentional and pleasant to my eye.

• Yayagal
    5 years ago

I think all your choices were terrific and you're a bit too hard on yourself. You've done very well, that kitchen is fantastic. I would keep the plants, not put tv on wall, center the couch on the windows as it will leave room to put the large plant in the window corner. Don't get a new couch, it's gorgeous and a perfect color.

• tqtqtbw
    5 years ago

Pretty space. I would keep both pictures and swap them to put the one with orange over in the dining space. I like your original pillows. Yes, shrink the table down. Great idea above to place both rugs together in front of the sofa to look like a bigger rug. No to mirror in the dining space.

• User
    5 years ago

My sincere apologies for assuming the plants are fake. Kudos to you for growing such lovely ones. I do however think there are too many in the space.

• PRO
    CDR Design, LLC
    5 years ago

Since you rarely use the dining table, I have a couple of suggestions for options:

1) Eliminate the dining table and buy a coffee table that can be raised to dining height and lowered to coffee table height. You could also add a couple of chairs to the seating area then.

2) Place the dining table (at its smallest size in front of the sliding doors (depending on how much use the outside gets)

3) Place a dining table (would be best a longer, narrower one) behind a sofa. So, one side of the table would not be used on a regular basis.

Would need a diagram of the room and/or more photos to complete these thoughts. Thanks.

• lisalane
    5 years ago

Your house and style are great! Especially love the art. Have you ever thought about putting your TV/console on the wall opposite of its current location? Then rotate your sectional 90 degrees so one section is under window and other section sticks out facing TV. The large art piece could then go on the wall where the TV used to be (would look amazing there without anything under it). It's hard to tell the dimensions of the room so not sure if this is a possibility but such a setup might be cozier for TV viewing and prevent having a walkway (to the sliders) between the TV and viewers.

• Therese R
    5 years ago

Haven't even read all the comments yet (I will) but was also pleasantly surprised at the pic after the post. :) I really like what you have and the colors. I don't think I would have come up with that and may not be my personal style, but it does inspire me! Feels simple, clean and welcoming. Nice.

• loobab
    5 years ago

Your place looks absolutely marvelous!!

I just think you need to replace the rugs you have for larger ones with more color.

You can either do modern ones, or do traditonal ones like hand knotted Persian ones or woven nomadic or kilims.

Your plants are fantastic!!

• Alex B
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Hello all, I am back with a few more photos as requested by everyone. I am also pasting a link here with our floor plan, as some of you asked. Please note we eliminated the fireplace on the main floor and brought it down to the basement instead. This was done as we didn't like how a fireplace cut off the entire wall in the living room. We wanted a sectional and with a fireplace we would have had to do two small couches or a couch and two chairs and we just didn't like having to rotate around it. Everything else is the same as per plan.

Link to our floor plan: https://tamarackhomes.com/home_details.php?homeID=1005&commID=7

• Val B
    5 years ago
    Very nice home. Remove the rug from underneath the dining table. It's too small and you don't need it. I'd also remove the chairs on each end of the dining table and store them elsewhere until you need them. Seeing these pictures, I'd pull the sofa away from the back wall with the art on it a little bit. Replace the sofa rug with a larger one. I would choose one plant and keep to right if the TV (and plant it in a larger pot). I like the mock-up done above with the leopard rug and black and white throw pillows and small, dark end tables.
  • PRO
    CDR Design, LLC
    5 years ago

Here is how I'd arrange your room. Dining table should be reduced to its smallest setting. By the sliding door, I'd add a more substantial bar that could serve as a wine/liqour/coffee bar. TV on wall where art is now.

• always1stepbehind
    5 years ago

If the rug under the dining table is larger than the one by the sectional, use that one with the sectional until you find a larger one you love. Leave the floor bare under the dining table. As much as I love greenery, I think you need to remove one of the two on the tv wall.

• teresale2013
    5 years ago

I dont have anything to add--but I had the exact same reaction as the first responder--this is really a pretty space!!!

• Alex B
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Hello all, I am just stopping by to let you all lovely people know that I caved in and I called a designer to do a inspiration board for our living room and to help us with the space. I am just attaching it here so I can here your thoughts if anyone would like to comment! The dinning table will stay where it is, no carpet underneath and collapsed to its smallest form - 4 chairs only for those wondering.

• PRO
    CDR Design, LLC
    5 years ago

Hi. I think you were smart to hire a designer. I would recommend, prior to hiring one, you have full confidence in that person.

I think there are some good ideas here. I don't want to pick apart a designer you have already hired. I would just say, make sure you have an accurate floor plan and that the furniture recommended actually fits. I don't know if that floor plan is to scale. If just an inspiration board, then that is what it is: inspiration.

Finally, this design does not take into consideration some of the things you have said. Example: you will keep the sectional. There was no option on that. This design does not keep the sectional.

• Aleksandra Bojeva
    5 years ago

Hello, thank you for your answer! I have convinced my husband that I do want to actually sell the sectional - we will list it and try. Also the designer was in my house and took measurements but yes I am aware that we will still have to ensure it fits.

If you have any suggestions, I would like to hear them! I would rather not spend thousands of dollars on new furniture only to end up regretting it! I hired this designer company as I have been following them for a very long time on instagram and I am a fan of their work. That being said, I have no control over which one of their consultants they sent to my home. I like the ideas but if there is anything you think would not go well, I would love to hear it!

• User
    5 years ago

Very nice design!

• Danielle Black
    5 years ago
    I like the art a lot. Hard layout with tv and walkway out to deck between that and sectional. I think your rug looks a tad small by couch. Maybe eliminate one under dining table since close. I like the added black and white big print pillows in couch with orange. Overall really super nice!
  • PRO
    CDR Design, LLC
    5 years ago

I think the design is nice. I am not a fan of an etagere filled with a lot of "stuff". If they serve a purpose, fine.

• Alex B
    Original Author
    5 years ago

CDR Design - do you think if we keep our current bar there then that's okay? I have been thinking of that as well. Do you think it plays nicely there or would you recommend something else?

• PRO
    CDR Design, LLC
    5 years ago

I would eliminate that small bar. It looks cluttered. You need more open space in your room. Buy a lower console for the tv. Use the current tv console as a bar. Add floating shelves over it to hold glasses

If you don't like a certain element, tell your designer. Listening is a primary characteristic a designer should have. I can see from your taste, you are not one that likes a lot of small, cluttery items.

• PRO
    CDR Design, LLC
    5 years ago

That space would be perfect for a built-in bar. It would add a lot of storage and be great for entertaining. You'd have a long space to put out appetizers, drinks. It would add value to your home.

It could be a stunning showpiece as you enter the house.

I posted a photo as an example, , but for some reason, Houzz will not let me post a photo at this time. Sorry!

• Alex B
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Hello friends. I am afraid I need your help once again! We have finally settled on a new sofa, accent chairs and the place we are getting all of this from has agreed to also throw in a rug for us if I happen to like one from their suppliers. I fell in love with a rug they have as well as accent pillows I think will match well. We have also decided on the color of the accent chairs and the model of the sofa. My issue : I CANNOT decide on a sofa color!!! Everyone is telling me to do light grey but I am afraid it won't go with the rug I like. I am swayed towards a white sofa (it is more off white, I will post a picture of the swatch bellow) in order to flow with my chairs and everything else. I had spoken to the designer who did our plan and she said I can go with a white sofa no problem. Everyone is saying do light grey. I know I can pick another rug but I am SO In love with the one I have chosen and I think it will make the space... Can anyone advise me on what to do? I do like a light grey sofa but I also really like the colors in the rug...We have to order this week in order to make it in time for Christmas and I am very undecided. You have all been so helpful and if you aren't utterly sick of me, I would appreciate the advice!

Here is the link to the sofa we have chosen:

https://mikazahome.ca/product/sevan/

We will get the 89 inch modification sofa with a 9 inch arm on one side (you can see example in the photos) and a 5 inch on the other end. Legs will be like in the second photo on the side.

Here is a swatch of the white that we had chosen (ignore the leather, it is the material swatch next to it).

Photo of the accent chair:

Photo of the rug:

Accent pillows:

We are also hesitating for the accent chairs - there is another chair we like but it is not as much of a good quality as the one above. I will insert a photo here - feel free to let me know which one would be better.

In other words, which chairs?

Which color sofa?

Do I go with light gray sofa and change the rug or go with off white sofa?

Thank you!

• tqtqtbw
    5 years ago

I like all the above and would chose the warmer tan chair and skip the dark brown chair and pillow.

• Molly
    5 years ago

I love the rug and lighter brown chair. I'd order the rug (maybe a small version of it), so you can get a better sense of the color and bring it to the store to see how it looks with the fabric sample. Have you seen the rug in person? Pictures of rugs are notoriously off in terms of color.

• Alex B
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Patricia, We went back to the store and I think I have settled on a color for the sofa - it is not white but it is very neutral. Almost very off white with barely there brown running through it. It is more of an off white/beige but it will tie in very well with my chairs and my walnut cabinets I think, while still remaining a true neutral that I can change in the future. My problem is I am starting to doubt myself on the rug - my question is if this rug throws off my orange painting too much? In her original design she gave me light gray sofa and a charcoal rug and only incorporated the orange by tying it with the chairs. Is the rug too much of a gamble? Would you change any of the pillows I have picked or just the orange one?

Essentially....this:

OR this:

• User
    5 years ago

I love the art work and the rug! Black is a nice accent color in some situations, but looking at your rug on my monitor and imagining an off-white w/brown hints, I would ditch the black pillow. In your color scheme, different hues of browns, orange, cream seem better to me for accents. Pillows that have too heavy a saturation of color can be detracting rather than complimenting. Also, I like pattern and texture in pillows so I would be looking for some browns, creams and add a bit of warm grey. Black can be added in other accents...such as the floor lamp and table accessories. Good for you on the sofa selection!

• PRO
    CDR Design, LLC
    5 years ago

Alex, I like the second one.....the "or this". Unless a client is able to financially and otherwise able to change out major purchases in a room often, I do not recommend busy items for higher priced pieces like sofas or rugs.

More basic colors on larger items allows you the flexibility to change out some smaller items in the future and without breaking the bank.

Also, just from getting to know you in this thread, I think a busy rug is something that you will tire of.

Finally, again, I wouldn't add the etagere filled with busy "stuff". Instead, I'd save to put in a built-in bar in the kitchen area.