SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
esther_lorenzo62

Fixing NEW Tub/tile joint in Bathroom Remodel: clear silicone?

Esther Lorenzo
3 years ago
last modified: 3 years ago

Hi there, our contractor has done a good job overall on a partial kitchen, bath and basement remodel/finishing project. However, I am concerned about a few things. I posted a separate post about accidental holes/chips on this tile job. This post is regarding the joint between the bottom of the tile and the tub. I do see hairline cracks in the grout and understand that as grout shrinks this happens. I want to know what to do about the cracks, but concerns me more is the discoloration of the grout at this joint. It is orange and notable. It can be scrubbed off but returns after a few days. This is a brand new tile job finished just a month ago. And, we used Mapei flex CQ grout on the recommendation of our tiler/contractor and the tile store because it is supposed to be stain resistant and easy to clean. We used their "warm grey" color so that we would avoid any discoloration issues from using white grout. Given all of this, I am very irritated that this is an issue right off the bat. We also used the Mapei Cobblestone Flex CQ grout in our kitchen and that too discolors quickly. We are a shoes-off sock and slipper-wearing household with only 3 occupants and the discoloration happens weekly. Argh. What to do?

1. Should I ask the contractor to seal the tile/tub grout joint with clear 100% silicone? If not, what other remedy would there be to seal the hairline cracks and keep this joint from turning orange weekly? The photos don't really show the orange so well. In person it is really noticeable. And this is after I cleaned it recently.

2. Should I/can I also seal the Mapei Flex CQ grout with an additional sealer? If so, which kind? I would do this myself and it's clearly not the contractors fault that the grout is not really living up to it's reputation. I just want to know if you can seal the Flex grout and what product would work best.

Tiler/contractor has been paid for 90% of the work but we haven't written the last check yet as he has a number of other odds and ends to wrap up. Advice?

Comments (8)