SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
liquidfeet

Do you take an early morning garden walk?

liquidfeet Z6 Boston
3 years ago
last modified: 3 years ago

I do. With my coffee. I take my time, looking at each part of my garden, each plant, each bit of empty space, each weed. I admire the new growth in the spring and the flowers when they appear. I assess how healthy and well-formed each plant appears at the moment. I'm playing doctor, nutritionist, nurse, noticing who is doing well and who is struggling. I look for deer and rabbit damage, and make plans if I find it. I evaluate the water situation. Questions arise that I will seek answers to on the internet when I get inside.

Weeds ... I am continually leaning over pulling them. To do this I have to set my coffee down, so I've tied a strip of fluorescent orange surveyor's tape around the mug so it won't get lost. The morning walk usually takes two cups of coffee. Later walks are shorter in duration.

A major motivation for this first walk of the day is to evaluate the design as it looks this season. Plans pop up for "moving the furniture around." New ideas arise that require playing musical chairs with the hostas and their friends. Sometimes these ideas actually get done, and when they do the garden's design as a whole gets better.

I get so wrapped up in design tasks that I fail to do some of the less entertaining maintenance jobs. For instance, I haven't applied horticultural oil yet to the holly hedge. The health of these shrubs depends on it. Maybe today. Or tomorrow. On the other hand, this year I did catch up on my pruning and raking since I stopped my ski instructor job early and was able to get full time into the garden earlier than usual.

Most importantly, every day, every walk, I feel gratitude that I have this garden to enjoy and take care of.

Comments (18)