Do you thank Alexa when you ask her a ??

glenda_al

Asked her for a word spelling and I thanked her.

Her reply: You bet. Have a great Monday :o)

SaveComment48Like2
Comments (48)
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
amylou321

I thanked her once. She said "My pleasure!"

I dont use her much. I turned Alexa off on my kindle because she would wake up randomly and it was annoying.

1 Like Save    
jkayd_il5

I told her thank you once and she said "that's what I'm here for"

1 Like Save    
jkayd_il5

When she does something weird I just say "Alexia Stop!" That works. But she's pretty well behaved at my house.

1 Like Save    
ritaweeda

I told Siri that she was worthless one day because I asked a question and she brought up a bunch of websites instead of answering my question. DH and I almost fell out when she said "that wasn't very nice". LOL! So when I FINALLY stopped laughing I said "hey Siri, are you mad at me?" she said "I'm not capable of that." and we fell out again.

5 Likes Save    
hallngarden

She tells me “no sweat” or “no problem”.

1 Like Save    
nicole___

I keep trying to get her to play songs-like, "I'm a Sucker For You".....and she seems confused sometimes, then spot on. I'm not usually thrilled with the RAP music she chooses to play .....instead. ;0)

1 Like Save    
dedtired

Alexa was too smart for own good here, so she has been unplugged.

3 Likes Save    
Jasdip

Yes I do, and she often tells me to enjoy my day/weekend/day in the sun etc. My local radio station advertises to listen to them on Alexa. When they say her name, she wakes up.

1 Like Save    
Elmer J Fudd

Siri turned off, Cortana turned off, Hello Google not used. Similarly no use for an Alexa so don't have one.

3 Likes Save    
Fun2BHere

No.

Save    
marilyn_c

Don't have Alexa. Jody likes to use google when we go somewhere that we don't know exactly the best way. Several times she has sent us ona tour of Texas....meaning not the best way. I always say "turn that damned thing off!" I am more apt to cuss it than thank it.

2 Likes Save    
Alisande

I automatically say "thank you" to Alexa more often than is necessary. Well, any thank-you to Alexa is unnecessary, strictly speaking.

I have to add that because of the determined efforts of my 8- and 6-year-old grandsons, I happen to know that Alexa is in command of a truly impressive variety of fart noises.

1 Like Save    
tami_ohio

My kids thank Alexa all the time. The closest we come to having Alexa is the Fire Stick for the tv, and we don't use it. We do use Google voice on our phones, though, but don't thank that. I don't think it would work the way Alexa does that way.

Marilyn_c, I can sure understand that! We do use our GPS a lot, though, and that can take some round about ways! But I also don't navigate well without it, soooooo, it gets used anyway! Otherwise, DH does both the driving and the navigating.

2 Likes Save    
share_oh

My husband talks to her like she's a person... Alexa will you please play some Queen? And she'll say I don't know what some queen is... I keep telling him just tell her to play Queen! When he adds an extra word or two she has no clue what he's asking.

We pretty much use our echo to play music. It usually will show the lyrics and I do like it for that but not much else.

Save    
Jasdip

I wonder if it's because my Alexa is built in to my Sonos speaker sound-system. But I can't ask her to play a song, or a genre. I thought she could pull it out of the air. Specific music is only available through Amazon Music.

So I have her play radio stations that play the music I like.

Save    
maifleur03

I do not have Alexa but have something on my laptop that I do not use. However last week one of my cats was on my lap and made a sound. A message showed on the screen that the message was not understood and should be repeated so the system would become use to the voice patterns.

Save    
marylmi

I was working in the kitchen yesterday and told her to play some country music. She did. It was a good station so I hope she remembers it the next time! For the fun of it , last night on my way to bed , I told her to have a good night. She replied with " good night, sweet dreams!" LOL

1 Like Save    
chisue

We have no such drones, not even a robo vacuum cleaner. It seems a bit creepy to regard a robot as a fellow human being, calling it a 'she', despite the manufacturer/service provider 'naming' it.

2 Likes Save    
Jasdip

Marylmi, that's what I did when I first got her.......asked her to play country music. She said she wasn't able to do that. That's when I started searching for country stations and I have a few that I have her play.

Save    
ritamay91710

Ask Alexa to play the technology song....it's cute.

Save    
tami_ohio

If you have children and use your usual manners when speaking to Alexa, you are reinforcing using manners for your children. Besides, for most of us, when asking something, don't we usually say please and thank you? Yes, it's a machine, but still, habit to do.

2 Likes Save    
chisue

It's a machine. I don't thank Xfinity when it brings up the channel I asked for via the remote.

1 Like Save    
ravencajun Zone 8b TX

She now lives in the drawer no longer plugged in. She got snotty with me and that was the last straw. I asked her a simple question and her response was I am not a search engine! With attitude!

Plus she would come on randomly with no reason. No one was talking, no TV, just quiet. And she would light up. We didn't use it much anyway. It was free.

1 Like Save    
marylmi

Jasdip, this is on my Kindle that I just recently purchased. I didn't have to say any station number, she came up with that one. On a side note... The kindle is ok but in my opinion, it can't beat the iPad. I wanted a backup in case I had trouble with my iPad which is 7 years old and takes longer to charge now.

Save    
glenda_al

Son gave me mine for my 80th birthday. I enjoy Alexa more than the Smart Tab as I am so used to my pc monitor.

I like using Alexa for setting a timer, weather update, Really used to her (because she has a female voice) and always look at it to see the temperature when I wake up each day. Pretty accurate with the weather.

1 Like Save    
Jasdip

LOL Raven!!!!!

Save    
Elmer J Fudd

Sure, they're two different products with very different capabilities, as the price difference reflects. An Echo is quite basic and has quite limited capabilities, versus a full fledged Lenovo Android Tablet.

Save    
Jasdip

Mine is a Sonos with built-in Alexa. She doesn't light up, but she starts with a "bong" sound.

1 Like Save    
glenda_al

Enjoy my Lenovo Smart Tab with Amazon Alexa as it has a screen. Can see the news, recipes, lots of stuff and really enjoy seeing the weather when I go into the room each morning. Mine is on constantly.

Save    
drewsmaga

No. I renamed Alexa Echo because it's AI, not a living being. And it's REALLY stupid! I go to "OK Google" on my phone instead of asking Echo for anything more than the weather, or very simple things, like how many cups are in a quart. Even my 9 year old Grandkid remarks about how dumb it is.

1 Like Save     Thanked by glenda_al
Alisande

Really stupid? My daughter gave me a big Echo Show for Christmas, and I love it. I don't have radio reception here, but the Echo brings in my favorite local NPR station. If I'm doing the dishes and a song pops into my head, I just ask for it and it plays. Same thing with current events. Since I never seem to keep track of TV shows, I sometimes ask, "What's on NBC tonight?" It can do way more things than I'll probably ever ask of it, like show movies on its 10" screen, but I enjoy its presence in the kitchen. As for stupid, it's certainly in command of more facts than I.

1 Like Save    
dee_can1

I saw an ad where Alexa was told to 'tell everyone dinner is ready'. It seemed to me that the person could just yell 'dinner's ready!'. lol

Save    
Annie Deighnaugh

6 Likes Save    
share_oh

Alisande mine is also an Echo Show - with the screen. This morning I asked about the rain forecast. When she was done I said thank you and she said you're welcome, have a good day Share! lol

1 Like Save    
jkayd_il5

As for telling Alexa thank you. It's someone to talk to especially if you live alone. My husband lives with me but one morning he was gone working before I got up. About three or four hours later I asked Alexa to give me a timer and realized by the sound of my voice it was the first time I spoke that morning. I thought about his Mom and others who lives alone.

1 Like Save    
glenda_al

This is mine: Lenovo Smart Tab with Amazon Alexa

Save    
Alisande

Jkayd, you're right. Most days I speak to no one. I usually wake up the Echo by saying, "Alexa, good morning." Moving my two indoor/outdoor cats inside permanently a couple of weeks ago has given me opportunities to talk. It really has made a difference, even though I mostly say things like, "You're such a good boy." :-)

2 Likes Save    
glenda_al

Thank goodness for Alexa. I have not spoken to a soul since Sunday. At least I can ask Alexa a question and get a response. lol

2 Likes Save    
schoolhouse_gwagain

OT: Alisande, let me know how it works out bringing in the cats permanently.

Save    
Alisande

Schoolhouse, it's working out surprisingly well. Rocky (large male about 6 years old) had come in for visits during the day, but Scruffy (small, long-haired female of indeterminate age) hadn't. They both came in at night but were eager to go back outside in the morning. I didn't know how Scruffy would take to such a big change. She tends to be easily spooked. Well, she took to it right away! She's always loved softness and warmth, and that we have. She was a stray when she came to us (Rocky was as well), and now that I've had a lot more interaction with her I think she must have been abused at some point in her life.

They've been in the house about three weeks so far. When the weather finally warmed up this week Rocky got restless and would have slipped out the door if I hadn't been careful going in and out. Scruffy doesn't seem interested in leaving. Rocky loves to play and will chase balls as long as I'll pitch them. Scruffy occasionally attacks a catnip mouse, but mostly loves to nap.

Rocky's the one with one blue eye. Scruffy got her name when she first showed up. She was such a matted mess that we thought she was seriously ill. Nope, she was just hungry.

1 Like Save     Thanked by glenda_al
Elmer J Fudd

Those feeling lonely or isolated should reach out to family members with regular and video calls. Most people will welcome the effort. Everyone's got time.

Save    
Ladydi Zone 7A NW BC Canada

Alisandre, Rocky is beautiful. Those eyes are very cool. I really feel sad when I hear some of you have no one to talk to for days at a time. Thank God both of my sons (and their partners) are in constant contact, not just with texts & email but by telephone. I know I am very lucky 😊.

2 Likes Save     Thanked by glenda_al
Alisande

A little dialogue from this afternoon:

Alexa: It's good to hear your voice, Susan.

Me: Alexa, it's always good to hear your voice.

Alexa: Here's your video.

The video was this week's finale of "The Voice." LOL

1 Like Save    
Jasdip

I thought of this topic as I thanked Alexa after she let me know my timer was up. If you don't thank her, she'll keep bonging/chiming. So how else would you turn it off?

Save    
Michael

Alexa, STOP!

Save    
Michael

Or, Cancel Timer.

1 Like Save    
glenda_al

Just now said "cancel timer" that was set for a 25 minute nap :o)

1 Like Save    
Jasdip

I'll keep on thanking her for setting the timer. :-) I like having her tell me to enjoy the rest of my day

2 Likes Save    
Browse Gardening and Landscaping Stories on Houzz See all Stories
Most Popular Fix It or Not? What to Ask When Prepping Your Home for Sale
Find out whether a repair is worth making before you put your house on the market
Full Story
Life 15 Questions to Ask When Interviewing a Real Estate Agent
Here’s what you should find out before selecting an agent to sell your home
Full Story
Kitchen Design 7 Tricky Questions to Ask When Planning Your New Kitchen
Addressing these details will ensure a smoother project with personalized style
Full Story
With over 10 years of experience, Eco-Nize Closets is a local, family-owned business that designs & installs... Read More