SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jiggette7

Please Help Date a Pie Safe

jiggette7
3 years ago
last modified: 3 years ago

Hi all! I purchased this antique pie safe from someone off of facebook marketplace. The guy I bought it from said he got it from a woman who said she took it off a farm in East Texas. It was in pretty rough shape when I got it. The top wasn't fully secured to the bottom, several hinges had snapped, there was thick crud in the mesh, a layer of grime, etc. I cleaned it up as best I could, secured the top and replaced several of the broken hinges. It still doesn't stand completely straight, but I think that adds to its charm (for now).

From what I can tell, the bottom, and drawer bottoms were recently replaced. The back and one of the sides were very warped and clearly water damaged at some point. There appear to be a few layers of paint. There were also blue flower stamps on the shelf top that looked to be straight out of the 70's. I debated whether or not to keep them, but decided they didn't quite go with my decor (ha!) so I cleaned them off. We're now using it has our liquor cabinet and it adds a fun pop of color and history to our dining area!

BEFORE AND AFTER (you can see how much grime was on the mesh in comparison)

Drawer knob

Inside pie safe

(yes, I need to dust our vents lol)

Comments (15)