SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
backyardphenomena

Wiring Irrigation Pump, Relay and Timer

backyardphenomena
3 years ago
last modified: 3 years ago

I have a Flotec 1 1/2 HP Irrigation pump, the appropriate relay, and six zone rainbird irrigation timer. Everything is in my detached garage that did not have power when we purchased the home in 2013. We had power run from the main panel to a subpanel in the garage to run the washer and dryer. Fast forward--- we have the washer and dryer in the house and the power in the garage only supplies for lighting and outlets. The pump has been installed and has been run manually via pig tail and switch on 115v.

I am wiring up everything according to specs but am running into a problem in the subpanel. Please see picture below. The thick 6 gauge red wire is connected to one side of the 20 amp breaker, the black 6 gauge wire is connected to one side of the 40 amp breaker. Both of these run to a 240 outlet for the old dryer. The green wire (ground) is not connected in the picture, bust was connect to the one neutral/ ground bus. Here's my questions 1) shouldn't the red and black 6 gauge wires be connected to just the 40 amp breaker? 2) I want to keep the 240 outlet and add another 20 amp breaker for the irrigation pump, does it matter if its a larger normal size breaker vs these slimline breakers?

Comments (7)