SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
webuser_684834964

1 1/2" gap between new tub and linoleum

Jackie Barfett
3 years ago

OMGosh, I am helping a friend paint and tile her new acrylic tub and surround panels. However, her son installed them and there is a 1 1/2" gap between the old linoleum flooring and the bottom of the new tub. He filled it with some kind of glue or mud compound to level it with the existing flooring and suggested putting one row of subway tiles over top of it and the linoleum. That would look dumb! It seems to me that it is missing subfloor in that area, as it is much lower than the depth of the linoleum but since he already filled it I can't say for sure. If I can, I would like to remove the substance and start over.

If that is successful then, Option #1 would be to install a mosaic tile trim along the base of the tub with the tile that is being used up the sides of the tub and panels. But how would I raise the floor level to just high enough to do the tile, because adding a piece of sub floor would raise it too high? Would I use some kind of leveling compound or mortar?

Option #2 would be to try to piece in some of the same linoleum to what already exists. The linoleum looks like tile with grout, so I believe I would have to cut it back to the first faux grout line, but then how do I make a join of the two pieces successfully so that it isn't an obvious patch and what would I use to glue it down? Should I assume that it would be best to put in a piece of subfloor to raise it up to the height of the rest of the flooring? If so, should it need be screwed or glued down, or both?

Help.... I have done my own tiling before (floor, tub surround, backsplash), but since this is beside the tub I want to make sure that it is not going to allow water to penetrate below either the mosaic trim or the additional linoleum.

If it were my bathroom, I would be redoing the entire floor in tile or water resistant vinyl plank but she is not willing to go to that extreme.

All suggestions or advice would be greatly appreciated.

thank you, Jackie

Comments (6)