SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
hoheartme

Bathroom Question- Tub & Tile vs. 1 piece unit

S.
6 years ago

We are currently in the beginning construction stages of our custom build, foundation is in, framing starts (possibly) Thursday. I had originally wanted direct-to-stud, one piece shower/tub combo units for the kids; easy to maintain, less areas for seepage with splashing, easier to clean. Plumber and a few others have brought up the possibility of doing a tub, with tiled walls, based on the rest of the house and design.

I am not a fan for two reasons; the potential for water damage, and the PITA of cleaning tile.

Choosing tub & tile would also "force" me to go with a tiled floor instead of a sheet good, for kids baths.

Background: Kids are G8, B4, G2. The girls will share a bath, the boy gets his own, but that bath has hallway access with the guest room next to it.

I figure that in the future, we could reno if need be, but that the potential for mess now is greater than my future regret. I am open to doing tub & tile, because I DO think it looks much nicer. Maybe I'm just lazy; I know I'm thrifty.

I'll take any advice, experience, ideas. I need to choose now, though, if the framer is really coming on Thursday.

Comments (12)