SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
blueberrybundtcake

Will dark stain hide different wood tones?

4 years ago
last modified: 4 years ago

So I need to make a new shelf for my armoire. I'd like it not to clash with the existing one, though. The existing shelf is half inch birch plywood from Home Depot stained Espresso.

In an ideal world, I'd just go get another one of the same thing cut and finish it the same as the first.

Home Depot seems to be insanely busy, though! It's possible most of those cars in the parking lot are swarming the nursery, but I get the feeling I'd have trouble getting my board cut and checking out quickly.

Home Depot also offers project panels by Columbia Forest Products that come with a free custom cut, so I could just order the size I want and not have to deal with trying to find someone to operate the saw. However, for the half inch board, I'd have to pick a different wood species, such as alder or maple.

So this brings me to my question:

Would Espresso stain look similar on maple or alder because it's so dark, or would the tones or the underlying woods make it look like I used a different stain than on the birch one?

Ordering precut would certainly be easier, but we could cut the board ourselves or wait to get it cut (table saw has the wrong blade in it, and the circular saw seems like it would be more prone to crookedness than Home Depot's giant saw). Or is ordering precut just stupid because I'll get a dud piece of wood? Same question on curbside pickup for a project panel, is that just a bad idea and how they get rid of their junk boards?

If it matters, I stain by brushing the stain on with a foam brush and wiping it off with a rag.

Comment (1)