Bird house troubles help!

Jessica Souder

I have a small bird house that a mated pair have been struggling with. They did finally succeed in hatching 3 eggs in it, however, I came home today to find the male freaking out and noticed 2 babies dead on the ground, and then witnessed the female fly out of the bird house and knock the 3rd baby out (sadly these babies are only about a day old, and all died). I'm wondering if I can transfer the nest (they worked so hard to build) into a deeper nest box? Any thoughts on this? I want to put a deeper nest box in the same place as it's very well protected area.

SaveComment1Like
Comments (1)
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
anita55

What kind of birds? Where is the house mounted, ie a pole or a tree? And sited, meaning in a meadow, grassy area, woods? More information would be helpful.

Save    
Browse Gardening and Landscaping Stories on Houzz See all Stories
Community Get a Bird's-Eye View of America's Housing Patterns
See the big picture of how suburban developments are changing the country's landscape, with aerial photos and ideas for the future
Full Story
Healthy Home Decorate With Intention: Let Your House Help You De-Stress
Break free of automatic TV time and learn how to really unwind and recharge with these easy ideas that don't cost a dime
Full Story
Most Popular 9 Real Ways You Can Help After a House Fire
Suggestions from someone who lost her home to fire — and experienced the staggering generosity of community
Full Story