SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
psyohe

Questions for experts: Accurate bids and cleaning up texture on floor

Peke
3 years ago

I live in a very rural area with few options for contractors. Things are done a little differently here than in a city. I have someone I trust, and he does a great job, but he doesn't come every day, and only works 4-5 hours a day, sometimes less. Last year, he installed new siding for me. He found a section of fascia board that needed replaced, so that was added to my original bid from him. I understand that extra amount since he couldn't see what was under the old siding. He said he had to add $8500.00 to the total because of the rotten board and because he had to order more materials than he had measured for originally on the bid. I paid it because if he put the extra materials on my house, he needs paid for it. However, that makes it tough to budget if the job costs a lot more than I was planning.

1. How can I get a more reliable bid from him? I have no idea if he figures the job correctly or not. I understand if something like the rotten board happens that the cost will be added, but mismeasurement? He doesn't do an actual contract.

My contractor told me he would be here in August to frame in a couple of walls, drywall, and texture a huge upstairs room (3 car garage size). (Last year, he brought someone to look at the beam in the garage ceiling, and they decided to put a couple of posts in the garage as a precaution.) So, in August, I emptied out the upstairs room and piled all the mattresses, beds, and other furniture in my living room. September came and I began calling him every 2-4 weeks. On April 1, he started on my upstairs. I paid about 65% in advance as per his request. We asked for everything to be to code and for a turn key job except for painting. So now that he has finished the framing, drywall, texture, demo, duct work, and wiring, he left to go work somewhere else while we painted. We thought we could get it painted quickly since it was the weekend, but there are blobs of mud on the plywood floor. I have swept and vacuumed, and washed the dust off the walls with damp cloths, and I still get dust every time I walk around.

2. What do I need to do to get rid of the mud blobs and the dust? Should I scrape the blobs off and use a damp mop? I thought cleanup was included in the job, but I guess it was not.

So, after the contractor finished the texture, he asked for the balance to be paid in full. He still has to install receps, switches, fans, lights, door jambs, doors, trim, and carpet. If he was incapacitated, and can't finish the job, that would cause me a lot of problems. I paid all but $1000.00, but I doubt someone would finish the job for that amount. He mentioned that he needed to add to the original bid again. I can't afford to give him unlimited money. There were no surprises this time. He just forgot to add things like installing new receps and removing some shelves, and evidently cleanup of drywall dust.

3. How much should I have paid him instead of the balance he wanted? I realize that he needs a periodic draw, but it is not my fault that he doesn't work every day and only works half a day. It takes him a long time to complete a job. I would certainly love for the job to be completed a lot quicker. I am stuck here at home waiting for him. I can't go to the grocery store since I never know when he will be here.

I don't have any other choices, so I deal with his timeline to completion. I really like that I can trust him in my home while I go the the store. He does great work, and never cuts corners.

Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks.

Comments (9)