SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
bunnyemerald

How do cats find their way to former homes?

Bunny
3 years ago
last modified: 3 years ago

My local Nextdoor has a post about a cat, missing for 17 days, being found at his old house. A happy ending for sure.

Something like that happened to my family in 1993. We moved from the country into town, 4 miles away. One of our cats, Jack, got out and went missing almost immediately. The internet was still fairly young and there was no Facebook or Nextdoor. No digital photos or a scanner.

On about day 3 my husband called me at work and said, guess who’s home? He’d gone out to the old place, and there was Jack, much chagrined and ready to get in his carrier and come back home. He was in good shape, none the worse for wear.

How do they do it? I often say he hailed a cab (no Uber) but how would he have paid?

Scent? But 4 miles! And it wasn’t like he regularly rode in the car and knew the way. Other than trips to the vet in his carrier, he never left the country property. There were a lot of suburban properties and streets to travel over/through.

The heavens? Can cats navigate by the stars, like mariners?

Does the earth reveal coordinates to creatures with the instincts to heed the message? Vibrations? Magnetic pull?

Comments (12)

Sponsored
Snider & Metcalf Interior Design, LTD
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars23 Reviews
Leading Interior Designers in Columbus, Ohio & Ponte Vedra, Florida