SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
katyajini

Suggests for elegant, impressive hosta(s) for two sides of front stps

katyajini
3 years ago

I have a 4 foot high stone retaining wall along the front edge of my property that ends in two 7 feet stone columns flanking a small flight of stairs to enter the front garden.

I would like to plant to Abiqua Drinking Gourd on the garden side behind each column. This is inspired by this picture (third picture):

https://www.nhhostas.com/abiqua-drinking-gourd-hosta-4-5-inch-container/

The brick columns, the iron gates, give off the same vibe as the simple, classics, gray stone columns.

As one would walk up the stairs the eyes would first see those imposing stalks, the underside of those huge leaves and then the whole plant. I just love the look this hosta. It gets your attention yet is understated. Do you think this would work? My goal is to create a feeling of a cool, green, peaceful haven but definitely elegant and not too stimulating.

maybe I am going a bit too far, but I would like to add another hosta ahead of the ADG, as one moves along the path. First I thought Brother Stefan or Great Expectations, both of which I find beautiful and eventually would like to grow. However I think the colors would clash and they would diminish each other. But what would look great with ADG? Would work well with the color, the height, the width? Would Tom Schmid work? The blue of each connecting the two and Tom Schmid looks like it has clean lines. The slight variegation might be good contrast. I think it would be best if the second hosta is not higher, but lower than ADG so we are gradually tapering down. Or would a another blue/blue-green with a different texture work better? ...

Anyway, I am so open to suggestions from you. Both regarding design and names of hostas. You know so many hostas and and how they look and feel near each other. My front yard is shady. Tall trees and very green. The ground level can be made more interesting. At this time mostly pachysandra among a few other things.

Another couple of things I am thinking...how early does ADG come up? And am I choosing hosta that are too big for this position? This is front not back of the bed.

Thank you so much!

Comments (7)