SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
dianela7analabama

If you like lavender, you need her.

Hello my friends. I have always had a thing for lavender roses. They don’t always turn out to be what I expected and actually most are disappointing.

I planted lavender veranda and It did not impress me last year. It barely bloomed and got blackspot. This year we are looking at something very different.

Comments (70)

• dianela7analabama
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Kristine I’ll measure it this weekend to give an accurate answer but I would say the canes that stand up are over 3 feet tall. I am not sure how tall are they supposed to be, but they aren’t short like front of the border The Fawn/Faun.

• sbrklyn_7bny
    3 years ago

I got two Lavender Veranda roses this year. They put out a lot of blooms even though they are first year quart and gallon bands. But the blooms are tiny, like mini roses. I was considering getting rid of them, but saw this thread and Dianela’s glorious plant. Maybe I will give them another year to prove themselves.

Dianela and others who have this rose, how large are your blooms? Mine is like inch sized, flat, and sometimes has brown centers:(

- Stacy

dianela7analabama thanked sbrklyn_7bny
  • Related Discussions

Feeling like a gerbil running circles in her wheel-need help fast

Q

Comments (5)
    I'm a white tile fan as I have no natural light in my narrow bathroom. I'm mixing Crossville Color Blox Too (powered sugar & satin sheets - check out their inspiration gallery) and adding aqua & green glass (Vihara by Sonoma in Wabi color.) I plan to add traditional chrome fixtures with a white painted or cherry stained vanity. I'll be curious what you will decide! Here is one inspiration photo; the white & glass would look just as good with a traditional faucet. Think of your favorite traditional item, but update it with a modern finish or shape. Like modern glass tiles in a traditional subway or running bond pattern. The walls could be simple white tiles with the sink/vanity being the focal point. I hope this helps. I'm a newbie here. Not good at adding links to items yet! Here is a link that might be useful: Inspiration photo
    ...See More

Lavender - Tile website you might like

Q

Comments (2)
    Lavender ... after I sent the link, I realized it didn't come up on the page I was on. The viny, soft, *very* pretty tiles (even letters/words) are listed under the WICHESTER listing. Have fun looking thru them!!! jody
    ...See More

If you like GRITS, then you need to try this.

Q

Comments (9)
    oh Glenda, where are you. Girl this was a wonderful recipe. We had it for brunch today and had several friends over. I doubled the recipe, could have tripled it. Nothing left over. Thank you for another great recipe. It turned out perfect.
    ...See More

If you don't know this author, you MUST read her!

Q

Comments (33)
    Mummsie, I have never read "Christine" so I am reluctant to comment. It seems, however, from what other writers have said, to take the fact of her teen-age daughter's death to create fiction. Elizabeth had a troubled relationship with this daughter and packed her off to a very strict school in Germany. Not long after, the daughter died of pneumonia during WW1 in Germany. Elizabeth wrote "Christine" under a different name, in order to protect yet another daughter still in Germany. She created fictional letters from a daughter who died to a mother abroad. The purpose was to aid the Allied war effort with the book's negative view of Germany. Elizabeth, according to what I have read, was roundly criticized for this device as so many people believed the book to be non-fiction when it was published. Not exactly a warm and fuzzy story.
    ...See More
  • Lilyfinch z9a Murrieta Ca
    3 years ago

Stacy , yours sounds like mine. Now I’m looking at dianelas like what the heck was I growing? Mine was not that ! Hers is gorgeous!!!!

dianela7analabama thanked Lilyfinch z9a Murrieta Ca
  • monarda_gw
    3 years ago

I love small flowers, though!

dianela7analabama thanked monarda_gw
  • Kristine LeGault 8a pnw
    3 years ago
    last modified: 3 years ago

Northland Rosarium is having a 25% off sale on all of their Veranda roses all month

dianela7analabama thanked Kristine LeGault 8a pnw
  • rosecanadian
    3 years ago

Monardo - how sweetly romantic!!

dianela7analabama thanked rosecanadian
  • Nola z5aWI
    3 years ago

Ugh! Those are beautiful roses! I had Angel Face and it never really grew and when I did get a small bloom the foliage was always blackspotted. I gave up, dug it up and gave it to my sister with sandy soil, I hope she has better luck with it. It makes me sad that it was so diseased here. My notes on it: "Angel Face (Purch 4-19-17) J&P (prob grafted) DIED spring 2019 after polar vortex. Nope, came back alive and bloomed 9-12-19. One bloom on 9” plant. Tiny 6-1-20 pulled out gave to Lona July 2020." I have never had a problem child like that one. Why are lavender roses so prone to BS? Is Love Song healthy?

dianela7analabama thanked Nola z5aWI
  • dianela7analabama
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Grrr already lost my comment multiple times, what is wrong with this site.

Lavender verandas blooms are small. She is lovely when she blooms and the color is great.

Now however no spray this is her today. The naked plant is lavender veranda and the ones with leaves is summer romance

to not judge her too harshly here is Augusta Luise today also.

Simply very few roses do great here no spray. When they do I want to throw a big party.

• Vaporvac Z6-OhioRiverValley
    3 years ago

I'm feeling you, dianela. : ((

dianela7analabama thanked Vaporvac Z6-OhioRiverValley
  • R pnwz8a
    3 years ago

I am a big fan of veranda series..

dianela7analabama thanked R pnwz8a
  • dianela7analabama
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Vapor I really want to go completely no spray but wow I will have to give up most of my roses at this point and start new so it is going to be a slow process.

I also grow brilliant veranda and it seems very healthy so far. I am hoping to try cream veranda next.

Ot: can’t help but be impressed with Spirit of freedom no spray in pots. Picture from Saturday I can’t wait to go check on the blooms tomorrow because they had lots of buds. Looks at all that foliage.

• Diane Brakefield
    3 years ago

Dianela, I can see having reservations about spraying insecticides, but what harm could antifungals do? I would use them, for sure. Have you tried the Cornell formula? I don't have the recipe in front of me, but to water you add a small amount of liquid antibacterial soap, plus about a teaspoon of baking soda. I used this many years ago on my horrid The Fairy Roses which got terrible powdery mildew after bouts of chlorosis, due to the alkaline soil this rose hated. The Cornell formula did help some, but I wasn't dealing with blackspot. Diane

dianela7analabama thanked Diane Brakefield
  • alameda/zone 8/East Texas
    3 years ago

I am a fan of the Veranda roses - esp. Lavender and the Mango Veranda is a real standout! Color is fabulous! I love my Lavender Veranda next to one of my very favorites, Plum Perfect - the colors are beautiful together and when you add Pretty Lady Rose - the effect is wonderful! This fall I want to add a Bolero to add some white to this combination.

dianela7analabama thanked alameda/zone 8/East Texas
  • rosecanadian
    3 years ago

Dianela - oh my goodness...that is terrible!!! Those roses are a mess from your growing conditions...not from what you're doing...but from where you live. Dang. The new ones look good though! :)

Alameda - That sounds like a wonderful color palatte!!!

• sultry_jasmine_nights (Florida-9a-ish)
    3 years ago

Dianela, how big is your Lavender Veranda? I am going to move mine since I am extending my veggie garden.I am thinking of putting it between two Distant Drums. I'd say they are about 4ft tall. My Lav Veranda has stayed about 2ft but I think it is struggling where it is. Just wondering how big it will get?

dianela7analabama thanked sultry_jasmine_nights (Florida-9a-ish)
  • modestgoddess z6 OH
    3 years ago

LV was horrible here in Maryland. It bloomed a lot but lost all its leaves early in the season, June the first year, May the next and just looked bare all season. I got rid of mine.

dianela7analabama thanked modestgoddess z6 OH
  • dianela7analabama
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Diane I have no reservations over the antifungals. I do not think hey are a problem at all. I just have found myself struggling to be able to keep up with the new job, house work and now pregnancy. I am barely making it so to speak and trying to come up with ways of lowering the amount of work I do somewhere. I stopped spraying 5 months ago to see how they handled it and they are looking rough. Now if only I could find a garden helper I would e thrilled, but so far everyone I have tried either kills something accidentally or never returns saying the roses are too prickly.

• dianela7analabama
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Carol yes we do not struggle with temperatures here which is a big blessing, but black-spot still makes it challenging in a different way. When I see someone wanting to have a complete no spray garden around here I can't emphasize enough how important is for them to choose the correct varieties. It probably sounds annoying to those people, but fully defoliated plants are not nice.

• dianela7analabama
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Sultry: my lavender veranda is around 4 feel tall and narrow so far with no pruning. She would look beautiful with Distant Drums.

• Diane Brakefield
    3 years ago

Dianela, congratulations on your pregnancy! I admire your taking on so much at this time, but I know you'll make a wonderful mother of future gardeners. I'm wishing you good health for the remainder of your pregnancy. And we will understand when your garden has to grow on its own for a while. I can't imagine the workload you are under. I hope your husband is helping with the housework (I'm sure he is). Diane

• rosecanadian
    3 years ago

Yay!!! Congratulations, Dianela!!! So exciting!!! When are you due?

• dianela7analabama
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Thank you very much Diane and Carol! I am due the last week of January, so a winter baby. My husband has been doing all the yard work and keeping the weeds from smothering everything since they unfortunately do not get black spot and grow like crazy. I still have a few rose projects I want to complete this year, but after that they will have to fend for themselves for a while. This is my first time doing this so I am not sure if I will be able to make it all happen. I'll just see how it goes =)

3 years ago

Dianela , did you just drop the P word ? Congratulations !! I am so happy for you and your husband . You have a very lucky baby to be born in to your loving home . Big hug !!!

• dianela7analabama
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Thank you Kristine. We have waited a while to start our family, we are excited.

• rosecanadian
    3 years ago

Dianela - January! How wonderful!! :) The weather will be a bit cooler for you at that time of year when you'll be really big, hot and grumpy. :) I agree with Kristine...very lucky baby!!!

• Diane Brakefield
    3 years ago

We need to throw a virtual baby shower for you, Dianela. What might be the perfect gift? Could it be roses? I'll bet there are some cute rose decorated baby clothes out there. Here's where the fun of little girls comes in--all those darling clothes that you can dress them in, and which they will completely refuse to wear once they are older. You've got to take advantage of those earliest years. Diane

• rosecanadian
    3 years ago

Yeah, I was really discouraged when we got free baby/young girl clothes every year as the girls grew. There were a few cute things...but most were not so nice. It was good to save money...but I wanted to buy beautiful clothes for my girls. Oh well...the saving money part was good.

• Diane Brakefield
    3 years ago

Carol, my daughter was the first granddaughter on my husband's side of the family. They were all southerners from Alabama, who were totally nuts about babies, particularly girls. Talk about the frilly, hand smocked little dresses (great grandmother). And everybody crocheted beautifully, too. My Idaho mother was an expert seamstress, so she was busy churning out the cute clothes, but with more practical styling. I loved it all, and changed poor Samantha's clothes often. I still have lots of those handmade things kept stored away in good condition.

Dianela, are your Alabama friends and relatives nuts about babies, too? It was a real eyeopener for me. Do they use the phrase (which had to be translated for me)--"give me some sugah"? I know lots of Alabamisms and love them. Diane

• cyndita (west coast zone 9)
    3 years ago

Congratulations, dianela! Totally understand that the garden may have to wait for a bit - you will see who can manage without spraying and who can’t, and take it from there!

dianela7analabama thanked cyndita (west coast zone 9)
  • BenT (NorCal 9B Sunset 14)
    3 years ago

Dianela,

Congratulations! What exciting and happy news.

As for blackspot, I guess someone could have a decent looking rose garden in the humid South growing Belinda’s Dream or Beverly, and some landscape roses. But when I think of my 10 or 20 personal favorite varieties, not a single one could make it here without fungicide. So I’ll definitely keep spraying, too. I missed one spray cycle this summer and those roses let me know by dropping their bottom leaves and demanding that not happen again.

• rosecanadian
    3 years ago

Diane - oh sounds wonderful!!! You're reminding me that my sister made some wonderful clothes for my girls!! My favorite was an adorable sunflower patterened baby outfit with white ric rac!! I loved that!! How adorable....Alabamisms!!!

• dianela7analabama
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Ohhh hiii everyone again 😁. Sorry for missing to many messages. We have some family visiting for the long weekend and I was doing some extra cleaning and making the guess rooms ready.

Diane since I am 35 this year I had some non invasive prenatal testing to check for some of the most common chromosomal abnormalities and such. After getting that done we also found out it is going to be a baby boy so no rose outfits for now. I had two themes prepared (roses for a girl) and (Harry Potter for a boy) so I am going to have a Harry Potter baby bedroom lol. The first movie I ever saw as a newly arrived teenager to the US was Harry Potter and then I started reading the books with the help of translator and learning English. I have very fond memories of the series. I do wish they made super cute clothes for baby boys but they definitely look more plain. I have a feeling my baby will have to endure some extra changing of clothes and such also 😁. I bet it was fun having a baby and all those perfectly made outfits.

This baby will be the first and only grand baby for my parents since I am an only child. My dad has already ordered him little tiny soccer outfits with his favorite team colors and name embroidered on their back . My in laws have another grand baby from my husband’s only sister and he is 18 and going off to college this year, they haven’t had a baby in while. My mother in law is always so calm and reserved that we were a bit shocked when we told her the news and she started shedding tears of happiness.

Diane I forgot to say that I have heard that phrase use around here a lot lol. My husbands family is from Mississippi and they don’t say it, but the Alabamians so 😄.

Carol I have been receiving a lot of baby clothes as well from friends. Everyone says they grow so quickly than I won’t have time to use it all. I hope you got to at least purchase a few super cute outfits of your choosing. I couldn’t stop myself, it is just too much fun to buy baby stuff. I was happy to find a lot of cute things at Etsy and it felt good to get the chance of buying from a person instead of a large retail store.

Here is some of my Harry Potter stuff

got a Dobby house elf as a friend

I know he won’t actually need shoes but I just really liked them.

Thank you very much BenT. I have recently added Beverly to my garden and I have been very pleased with her health and blooming so far. Her blooms are very large and pretty pink. I have been meaning to add Belinda’s dream and Belinda’s blush as well. I have been having luck with some of the austins also (James Galway, ancient mariner, Olivia, Bathsheba and Spirit of freedom). Overall definitely very difficult to be no spray because many of the most beautiful roses really can’t do without it.

• northlandyogi_mi5a
    3 years ago

@dianela7analabama The doll and shoes are so adorable! @!@

dianela7analabama thanked northlandyogi_mi5a
    3 years ago

Dianela, that is funny , I really love boys clothes especially their shoes

Everyone will buy you newborn sizes because they are so darn cute but they grow out of them overnight

6 month sizes will look gigantic but you will be amazed at how quickly they grow.

So Dianela , where did you come from ? Well done on learning the English language . It isnt easy . Heck , there are people who have lived here their whole lives that still haven't

Mastered the language .

Congratulations on your son

• rosecanadian
    3 years ago

Master has given Dobby a sock!!! Dobby is free!!!

LOL

We love Harry Potter here! Those slippers are adorable!!!

• PRO
    nothing
    3 years ago

This article was excellent and useful and I shared it with my friends

قیمت خودرو

• totoro z7b Md
    3 years ago

Dianela, congratulations on your pregnancy. As someone who also delayed having a family to pursue surgery, in addition to to your diet during pregnancy, I think there is a decent amount of evidence that supports that reducing stress during pregnancy reduces your child’s risk for chronic disease and ASD, ADHD. So if you can work part time and try to get more sleep, I think it worth exploring. Especially since it will be hard to work full time after the baby is born anyway, unless you get a full time nanny or have family doing most of the care. Of course as parents we cannot control everything and science is so limited as etiologies of so many conditions.

dianela7analabama thanked totoro z7b Md
  • sultry_jasmine_nights (Florida-9a-ish)
    3 years ago

Congrats Dianela! So exciting to hear of your little one's coming arrival in January! Harry Potter is the perfect theme for a little boy. I am sure you will have a blast decorating the nursery with that theme too lol.

dianela7analabama thanked sultry_jasmine_nights (Florida-9a-ish)
  • northlandyogi_mi5a
    3 years ago

I'm always amazed at ladies who handle everything gracefully! When I was having my babies, I didn't have the energy or interest in anything related to extra work, let alone gardening. lol

dianela7analabama thanked northlandyogi_mi5a
  • Nola z5aWI
    3 years ago

So excited for you Dianela! Sorry, late to the party. You must be thrilled! I have a new grandson 4 months old, and I love buying little boy clothes from Carter's. They have the cutest little vests for when he is in the 2T stage and up. They do grow through clothes so fast and diapers, that I bought the larger sizes for the baby shower (you never know how big a baby will be and my first baby was a normal size, with the last two almost 10 lbs., so newborn would definitely not fit). The kids stayed in a onesie and receiving blanket till they were crawling, but that was back in the day. Everything has changed now. Harry Potter will be an adorable theme and so much you can do with it! I also found a second hand store and picked up a stroller and booster seat in great condition and much less than new since I was taking care of one of my grandbabies. They have tons of gently used clothes if your interested. :)

dianela7analabama thanked Nola z5aWI
  • PRO
    nothing
    3 years ago

Flowers are really good and energizing and I love them very much

پراجکت سرور

• dianela7analabama
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Kristine thanks =). I have made the mistake myself and bough many cute newborn outfits lol. They are so cute I couldn't help it. I have already told my family that I wont be needing any more of those. I am originally from Cuba so my first language is Spanish. English was banned from Cuba for many years so I did not know anything.

• dianela7analabama
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Totoro thank you very much! I am definitely trying to get some extra rest, but I still feel more tiered than ever before. Once the baby arrives I will have the wonderful opportunity to stay home for the first 6 months before returning to work.

• dianela7analabama
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Thank you Carol! =) He may not love it wen he grows up, but while he is little I guess I will get to enjoy doing the Harry Potter stuff with him. My husband took me to Harry Potter land in Florida a few years back and I had such a blast even as an adult.

• dianela7analabama
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Nola Thanks a million =) and congratulations on your new grandson! My mother in law just recently sent me some Carter baby gowns that are super cute. One of my good friends recently told me I had plenty of pjs for the baby but I needed outfits and it surprised me lol. I told her those were his outfits at least until he could walk. The plan is to keep him in gowns and footies for as long as I can get away with it.

• dianela7analabama
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Sultry Thank you! Yes the decorating and buying baby stuff part is definitely fun. =)

• dianela7analabama
    Original Author
    3 years ago

northlandyogi: My garden will definitely have to fend for itself for a while. I am hopping between my dad visiting and my husband at least the basic maintenance will be done. My friend from this forum Lilifynch has two gorgeous babies, and OMG she even made a brand new garden in her new home in California. I probably won't be able to do as much, but ill try to do a bit here and there.

• mjkjrobinson
    3 years ago

I love lavender the plant, colour, and roses!

dianela7analabama thanked mjkjrobinson
  • rosecanadian
    3 years ago

Dianela - you should do as you want...this is your time and your time with your baby. Try not to compare yourself to others...even good friends. Jenny wouldn't want you to. :)

• Diane Brakefield
    3 years ago

And Dianela, you work at tremendously demanding profession. Pathologists are the "doctors' doctor", for which you spent many years in college and in training. It is a specialty that requires one of the longest residencies. You now have a brief opportunity to devote your time to a much anticipated baby. Roses, though we love them, are secondary. As far as hard work, none of us can compare to the highly skilled work you do. Thank you. Diane

Sponsored
Mary Shipley Interiors
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars32 Reviews
Columbus OH Premier Interior Designer 10x Best of Houzz