SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
katyajini

Most FRAGRANT hostas and bloom times?

katyajini
3 years ago

I have some H. plantaginea and just love it. On sultry August nights the fragrance wafts and hangs in the air. It can become quite heady.

Fragrance is really my thing and just realized, rather than buying hostas willynilly I should look out for fragrant hostas....I am redoing most of my shady front garden. I would like to line the shaded pathways with fragrant hostas. Maybe even with at least two varieties with offset bloom times. I would like for anybody coming to visit to have a moving experience.

Could you please suggest one or more hostas that are particularly fragrant? Something comparable to H.p.?

I have heard that the fragrance is always the greatest in the species and lessens in the hybrids. Is this true? So there is no other hosta as fragrant as H.p.? Wafting fragrance would be nice!!

In my limited browsings, hostas like guacamole, fried green tomatoes, moonlight sonata, fragrant bouquet, fragrant dream, Diana remembered are said to be quite fragrant.

Another interesting one is Royal Standard, which grows easily, looks reasonably good and is fragrant. Yet I have heard some cannot detect any fragrance in this one. Is it very fragrant???

I have smelled none of these, only H.p. I am depending on input from forum friends.

What are the chances that if I buy a few of these hostas and plant them, feed them, water them and I will be able to smell their flowers by end of summer so that I can choose the ones I like for my pathways for next season?? Or, I wont know till end of next summer, if that?

I am grateful for anything you comment back whether about particular hostas, bloom times, or about fragrance in hostas in general.

Thank you so much!!

Comments (19)