SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jacqueline9ca

Grandmother's Hat is killing off Dr. Huey!

jacqueline9CA
3 years ago

Yesterday I went to cut back & remove the diseased leaves on my 2 bushes of "Grandmother's Hat", as they had finished their first flush, and, per usual when we have late rain in the Spring, they were covered with "damask crud". Luckily, I have discovered that if I do this when the crud happens, the rose comes roaring back with new growth and new blooms, and then stays disease free Summer and Fall, without any spraying. The bushes were about 7 feet tall when I started, and are now about 4 1/2 feet tall. I was delighted to see that it had already put out lots of non-crudded new growth, which I left.

We got the first bush from Annie's Annuals, around 10 years ago. We are not sure on the timing, but I remember being very excited because Annie's was offering it, and I had wanted it for a while. The second bush is about 6 feet away from the first, and resulted from me sticking a pruning cutting directly into the soil when the first bush was a few years old, and watering it now and then - that's all I did. BOOM! new happy plant. Both of them are very vigorous, and the oldest one has put out 2 large suckers of itself (which I really should move, as both are turning into new bushes) - both are at least 12 inches away from the base of the mother plant, so I assumed it is suckering from its roots - they have both bloomed, and are definitely GH. The canes on the baby suckers are over 1/2 inch wide straight out of the ground, just like the new canes which grow from the mother plant. Yesterday I noticed some very thin, straggly growth at the base of the first bush as I was crawling around underneath the still very large and dense bush that I had not finished pruning &thinning, so I just cut off that growth, and pulled it out. One of the tiny, small canes turned out to be about 2 feet long, and had grown up into the bush. When I pulled it away to put on my enormous pile of debris from my endeavors, it turned out to have a bloom on the top of it - I was astonished to see the good Doctor! I know Annie's sells GH on its own roots now, and I had no memory whether that was the case or not years ago when I got my first bush. However, it must have been grafted on Dr. Huey, as there is no other explanation. When I looked at it carefully, the Dr. Huey growth was definitely coming from below the bud union (I had no idea there even was a bud union on this plant). So, I have a question - how can GH be suckering new GH bushes from its roots, if it is roots are Dr. Huey? What I think is the answer is that GH is one of the most vigorous roses there is, and it rooted itself years ago on its own roots, and its roots have been having a war with the supposedly "stronger" rootstock roots, and GH has won! Tomorrow I will go out and dig down to find where the spindly, lame Dr. Huey growth is coming from on the bush, and carefully cut it off. If it reappears, I may just shovel prune that entire bush to get rid of the Dr. Huey, and let one of the new GH bushes which it has produced take over that space. My guess is that when Annie's first got GH, of course it is a mystery rose, and no one knew who it was, so perhaps they thought it might do better grafted. Ha! In this case it appears to me that the scion rose is killing off the rootstock rose, not the other way around!

Jackie

Comments (19)

Sponsored
Integrity Woodworking Inc
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Franklin County's Preferred Custom Cabinetry Professionals