SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
sbrklyn_7bny

Please help pick a climber for my stoop

sbrklyn_7bny
3 years ago

Our stoop is few feet above ground and gets good southern exposure so I am thinking to put a climber there. It will be in a very large container. I am in Zone 7B NY. It rained a ton last June and our summer can be scorching hot and humid so delicate English roses don’t look so good here.

Since it is at the front door good repeat is a must and the most important trait. I’ll be diligent to tie the canes to a trellis or obelisk so I think some thorns are okay. If it gets larger I plan to train it above the first floor windows. Other than yellow I am open to all other colors.

Here are the climbers I got this year or expect to receive soon. Hopefully one of them will be suitable for this spot . But if not I’m open to getting a new one.

Zepherine Drouhin: I don’t think this one repeats well

Eden: questionable repeat?

Pretty in Pink Eden

Mme Alfred Carriere

Laguna

Kiss Me Kate

Quick Silver

Cecile Brunner: doesn’t repeat reliably I think?

Or do you think climber in a container won’t work well and a shrub rose is a better choice?

Its raining outside and I don’t have a picture of the stoop but found a similar one off the internet. We only use one side of the door so have space for a large container.

Thanks for any suggestions!

Comments (20)