SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
alexia_erlichman

Beautiful Cedar fence is now ruined by stain

Alexia Erlichman
3 years ago

Thanks for reading! Hope everyone is staying safe and well. I'm hoping someone out here can help me. Last year, we had a custom horizontal fence built and attached to our deck for privacy. We selected a beautiful Cedar and it was not inexpensive, as it was built by hand and the wood was higher quality. Once the fence was built we were told it would be a good idea to stain it to protect it as cedar grays over time. So we hired a company to do just that. We picked out a semi transparent stain that we liked, and made sure to tell the gentleman that it was very important to us that the stain was sheer because we wanted to see the wood through it.

Cut to a few days later, our beautiful fence was now a solid brick red. I spoke to the gentleman immediately and asked why it looked like that, he explained he did 2 coats to make sure it was thorough, I expressed my displeasure (calmly) at that point and he said to let it sit over the winter because it would likely weather and be the sheer color we wanted. So we did, and it's not.

I've tried power washing it which did absolutely nothing. I spoke to a gentleman who wanted $1800 to do the job (almost what the fence cost), I've been told I'll need to use a wood stripped and then a brightener, I've been told to use acetone and a wire brush (but expect a headache by the end of the day) and then I was told to forget it - that because it had been on there for almost a year, there is no way to get it back. Can someone please tell me the correct information? And the best way to get my fence back? I'm very appreciative of any information, product suggestions, hiring suggestions or anything else anyone can provide! Thanks in advance.

Comments (9)