SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
missusmiller

The Case of the Disappearing Peaches

I have two young Red Haven peach trees (three years and one year in the ground, respectively). The older one came from Grogg’s Green Barn and the younger from Stark Bros, so both have grown well here. This year, my older tree developed fruit for the first time, which seems about right. They survived the late frosts and everything was fine last week. Today I went to check on it, and we went from thirty developing peaches to maybe four. There is no dropped fruit on the ground. Two of the ones that are left have clear damage and are oozing gel, and the others left are small and appear slightly shriveled compared to the larger ones. So, what’s after my tree?

If it’s plum curculio, I should be seeing fallen fruit, right? I don’t have borer damage that I can find, and no damage to bark or trunk. The branches are still so thin that there’s no way a raccoon could have gotten all the fruit without breaking them (no broken branches, and the foliage is healthy and beautiful). Squirrels could be the culprit, but our barn cat is out night and day hunting, so we have very few of them this year. And I can’t imagine the peaches are delicious enough to bother with at the moment—they are none of them larger than a quarter yet. Could it be wind damage? We didn’t have any hail. My pear, not very far away and at least twenty years old, is unmolested.

I was really looking forward to peaches, so any help solving this would be great!

—Marleigh

Comments (4)

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting