SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
ellenjackson0905

Window Treatment to Add Warmth?

Ellen Jackson
4 years ago

I’d like to add some warmth to our kitchen. While we don’t need treatments for privacy or blocking light, I thought they might be a way to add some warmth and dimension. What would you do?

Comments (36)

• jhmarie
    4 years ago

I have a faux roman shade which i like for adding some warmth and my own personal style. These pics are not my kitchen - which is more simple and cottage, but I like this look. These are fuller because they are real roman shades

Mine is not as full because it is faux:

https://www.houzz.com/hznb/photos/my-pics-work-in-progress-phvw-vp~110720042

Your kitchen is lovely!

• PeaceOfHome
    4 years ago

Your kitchen is very open and fresh; very nice.

My favorite designer is Sophie Paterson (London) and I saw a snippet of one of her kitchen window treatments. You may like this but it is very simple but with interesting detail.

https://www.facebook.com/SophiePatersonInteriors/photos/pcb.10156708486398137/10156708486058137/?type=3&theater

• Related Discussions

Bump out windows, window treatments

Q

Comments (4)
    Hard to find what you're looking for, I know. The Ministry of No Treatments will soon be calling you in for questioning, and then they'll send you to the Bureau of We-Don't-Need-Privacy-We-All-Have-500-Acres for reeducation. One poor woman stumbled in here looking for window treatment suggestions to shield her daughter, whose medical condition required her to avoid sunlight, and was treated to clucking tongues and about a thousand pics of naked windows. I think with counter height windows you should be very careful about fabric shades going down to the counter, especially if it's near a sink. Messy. Valance, panels or whatever gets the fabric away from the muck, then some sort of less fabricy shade or blind for privacy and light control. You have more latitude if your windows are well away from whirling chocolate cake batter and spurting chickens.
    ...See More

how to add interest and warmth to shutters, blinds in new house?

Q

Comments (1)
    It's possible to add curtain panels to windows with shutters and blinds, we'd have to see pics to make suggestions. Area rugs, art, lamps, pillows, etc will also make your house more warm and interesting,
    ...See More

Paint and decor ideas to add warmth to a newly built home

Q

Comments (9)
    the number one thing, move that sofa out of the doorway. pull the rug and sofa floating in the room. center the rug and put the front legs of the sofa on it. the chair looks like it was part of a sectional? is that true, if so I would take it out and bring in the chair you have in the dining area and that love seat. put the love seat to the window side and the chair to the other side angles. you have a great touch of blue in the island, bring that into the other room in touches, patterned curtains, pillows, and in art work. splash it around and let it be the first bit of color it will lead you into others.
    ...See More

Wanted feedback on how to best add some window treatments

Q

Comments (4)
    Unless you want to pay for custom length drapes by putting your rod at ceiling height and because you only need drapes for privacy, put a rod across the center. Go with a lighter weight material (not sheers, though) so that, when stacked open on each side, the material doesn't block the entire light from each of the narrow side windows.
    ...See More
  • grapefruit1_ar
    4 years ago

Your kitchen is beautiful! Yes, I prefer curtains for warmth and softness. Obviously my style is quite different from yours, but this is what I have.

Sorry, it happens to be a dreary day here.

• morz8 - Washington Coast
    4 years ago

While there are some really interesting window treatments, I wouldn't add them.

My own kitchen has windows including a garden window where the breakfast table is tucked in and I've left them bare. It looks a little stark to me in winter. It's likely a personal decision and some texture or color at yours could be nice, but I do my own housekeeping and I don't want to have things cleaned, or wash and iron. I taped paper to the window tops too when deciding and realized just those few top inches covered would slightly decrease our view. Of the weather, birds in the garden, not by much but we do enjoy our hilltop wooded view - eating many of our meals at that breakfast table.

I've added just bits of warmth and color with a cutting board countertop, a pottery platter against the backsplash near the cooktop, a red bread box, art on one wall.

• heatheron40
    4 years ago

I would put a rod close to the ceiling to cteate a "fabric band?" across the top with a fabric you like. Long enough to come down 2 or 3 inches from the bottom, of the top window casing.

It adds a ton of color, softens it up and ya really don't lose anything.

• tsjmjh
    4 years ago

Hunter Douglas Provenance woven wood shades come in different colors and wood tones. I like @Maureen's romans, also. Two different concepts - one a bit more casual and one a bit more formal.

• deegw
    4 years ago

Such a pretty kitchen, I would look into adding an indoor-outdoor runner or two as well. It will help add some color and pattern, they can be hosed off or thrown in the washer and easily replaced if you'd like to try something new.

https://annieselke.com/Rugs/Shop-Rugs-By-Size/All-Rug-Sizes/Runner-Rugs/c/runner-rugs?q=%3Amaterial%3APolypropylene&show=All

• herbflavor
    4 years ago

Toile , large check , or stripe fabric valance. A nice metal or rod of choice , and a tailored style: pleated valance across the top. You achieve Some pattern in an understated way by doing this...... colors if you desire , but can be neutrals as well

• lisaam
    4 years ago

A faux Roman would work, but even when folded open there is a luxe factor from the volume of fabric in a full shade.

• My3dogs ME zone 5A
    4 years ago

Your beautiful kitchen has windows that are shorter than most shown in the 'example' posts. I would have your rod as close to the ceiling as possible, as 'Heatheron 40' shows in her example above.

• Ellen Jackson
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Thank you for all of the suggestions! I always appreciate the input.

I have been looking at inside mount Roman shades and woven wood shades, but don’t think I can justify the price for something that is purely decorative. I will look into faux Roman shades (I hadn’t considered this and I could probably make these myself).

Are cornice boards out of style? I kind of like the tailored look they offer - sort of like a valance, but a little more streamlined.

I also like the idea of adding a runner, but that will have to wait about 5 years (or until my little guys stop using my island as a race track)...the trip/slip hazard is too high right now :)

• jhmarie
    4 years ago

I admit I made my faux roman shade::)

• aziline
    4 years ago
    last modified: 4 years ago

Not what you asked but I find my eye goes straight to the pendant lights. I'd change those to pot lights. That will take away a cold element and make the focus the view out the windows. No shades necessary.

• shadylady2u
    4 years ago

The problem with inside mount romans is, because your windows are short and squat, they would cover up much of the glass. It wouldn't look bad but don't know how much light you're willing to give up. You can't just put a little strip there. You also can't mount anything near the ceiling since the crown molding juts into the wall above the window.

A cornice would be okay as long as you use an updated fabric, and I would put three separate ones, not one long one, hugging each window at top. The last one would end hitting the cabinet at the right. Measure from where you'd mount the top of the treatment, to the bottom of the window and figure 1/5th to 1/6th of that for the length, to get the correct proportion.

ETA: FWIW, I like those lights and wouldn't take them down. My eyes went to them too, but in a good way.

• potchiemagoodleberry
    4 years ago

A clean lined, tailored fabric valance curtain, on a high mounted rod will soften all the hard edges and won’t block any natural light.

• D Nelsmama
    4 years ago

I love you woven blinds, I also needed to add warmth to my room

• tartanmeup
    4 years ago

What a beautiful kitchen! Love your pendant lights. shadylady2u brings up excellent points about the measurements. It's a matter of proportions. Did you ever consider continuing the backsplash to the ceiling on that window wall? I think that would dissimulate the spacing asymmetry between the windows and cabinets. (Not a pro though - just my opinion based on your pictures.)

Cleaning ease is now top of my priority list when choosing window treatments. I have horizontal blinds in my kitchen and curse them at every dusting/cleaning. I now want curtains because they're so easy to launder. I'd be looking at a warm linen-like fabric, easily hung on a thin rod and inside mounted if possible. Similar to the look of discreet roller shades. Unobtrusive yet warm. In my mind's eye, it looks fabulous and makes sense but of course, I can't find pictures online to illustrate my idea. :) I'm sure I've seen someone in this forum do something like it in their kitchen though. I'll try and find it. (I also found an Australian Houzz article on kitchen window treatments that mentions window film. Unobtrusive but not necessarily warm.)

ETA: Found a picture on this site of what I was imagining. The window is not the same size though but the look is what I was trying to describe:

• PRO
    Patricia Colwell Consulting
    4 years ago

A faux roman easy to do , I think a cornice is really something that needs to have that same formality in other windows covering too. I would never do wooden shades in that kitchen If you want some wood a huge free form wooden bowl would work

• Ellen Jackson
    Original Author
    4 years ago

tartanmeup - I like the second photo you sent. I can probably manage that in a faux shade and, since the fabric isn't too heavy, it may not block too much light. I did consider bringing the tile to the ceiling. I love that look, however, our kitchen isn't level (off by nearly an inch). The windows and counters are level, but the ceiling slopes enough in the span over the windows that bringing anything with a horizontal line that close to the ceiling would draw attention to it (hence, no crown molding and a light paint color).

I think I'll work on finding a light fabric and make a faux roman shade. The windows are each 37 inches wide by 40 inches long. I'll experiment with hanging them a few inches above the molding or an inside mount (tension rod) and see what looks best - I hadn't considered the length and how much that would potentially block. Pretty inexpensive, easy to remove, so low commitment if I don't end up loving it.

Thanks for the suggestions everyone!

• dianeski
    4 years ago

Beautiful kitchen. What color is the paint? It looks wonderful.

• Ellen Jackson
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Dianeski - The paint is Agreeable Grey. We used it throughout our house. In our lighting, it was the most neutral we could find (not too grey, not too beige).

• dianeski
    4 years ago

Thank you. I was wondering if it was AG. It’s such a beautiful color. They used it throughout my kitchen design showroom and its looked amazing with everything. Great choice!

• milney_51031
    4 years ago

I like the look without any window covering. Very clean looking. Your windows are very pretty. The Roman shades look heavy & dreary for my taste. But, each to their own.

• cbreeze
    4 years ago

Me too. I would not change a thing. Beautiful kitchen.

• PRO
    Defined ID Design
    4 years ago

You may also think about changing your barstools. Having a wood frame and neutral upholstery instead of metal you currently have will help warm up the space.

• Ellen Jackson
    Original Author
    3 years ago

I completely agree on the barstools - I don’t like the ones we have (mainly because they lift up and down and the arms get stuck under the counter apron) and I don’t think they match the decor. I would love to change them out!

• PeaceOfHome
    3 years ago

I have the same base on my barstools and they wore out the wood floors; have to refinish them in that area.

• nhb22
    3 years ago
    last modified: 3 years ago

Beautiful kitchen! Could you tell me what brand and size your cook range is? Also, do you like your dishwasher on the left side of your sink?

I vote for a long window header treatment or putting some sort of decor in the space above your windows. Like the below photo. Use items with black accents.

Ellen Jackson thanked nhb22
  • Ellen Jackson
    Original Author
    3 years ago

nhb22 - My cook range is a 36 inch Thermador. I love having 6 burners (this is a first for me and it really makes a big difference). I don't mind having the dishwasher on my left (I am right-handed). I thought back to the last several kitchens we've had and it has been on both sides. In our kitchen design it really made sense to have it on the left because it would have crowded/restricted the flow from the sink to the range if it were on the right. The other plus is that I barely have to move to unload the majority of our dishes. Our island has 3 sets of 3 drawers. The cabinet closest to the range holds our utensils, dishes, and Tupperware and the middle cabinet/middle drawer holds all of my kids cups and plates. I can unload almost everything (except for our coffee cups and some items I don't use as frequently) without having to walk back and forth.

• nhb22
    3 years ago
    last modified: 3 years ago

Thank you...very helpful! Do you have a name or model number for the range? I ma trying to price appliances. A range is a big ticket item!

• Ellen Jackson
    Original Author
    3 years ago

nhb22 - The model number is PRG366JG. I don't know what area of the country you are in, but I live in an area with a lot of appliance stores. I called around looking for an open box model. I was able to score this one for $4k - it was a floor model and I took advantage of an extra 20% of sale they were having. I was told by salespeople at multiple stores that several brands (including thermador) require stores to switch out their displays once a year. I was able to reduce my appliance budget by getting several of my appliances during the floor model switch out. If you are open to this, you can really save a lot!

• nhb22
    3 years ago

Interesting! Thank you for that tip. We are in East TN and have Best Buy, Lowe's, Home Depot, etc.

• PRO
    Niche Interiors
    3 years ago

I would do flat fold roman shades with a subtle pattern in light neutrals. Good luck!

• eam44
    3 years ago

Window treatments can be lovely but generally speaking, they just make spaces darker. You could go for a valance as others have mentioned.

• A T@Home
    3 years ago

Lovely kitchen! I like the idea of valance so you could hang it higher than the window and not block too much light. However, it looks like it might be a tight fit on the right window. I'm sure a pro could figure out a way to make it work. I also like the faux roman shade as long as you are ok with it covering the top half of the window.

I feel like the kitchen could some some wood or ceramic elements. Perhaps wood stools over the chrome. The pendants are traditional, but the stools are more modern. However, you mentioned children so perhaps the stools are such for their benefit/stability. I can appreciate the uncluttered counters, but perhaps ceramic canisters in a pale accent color that you like. Wood cutting boards. Wicker basket to hold the cords and doodads to the left of the coffee pot. Wooden fruit bowl. You have so much lovely counter space, I feel like it is ok to leave some decorative(yet functional) things out.