SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
gamingmousepro

HVAC turns on, blows, but not very cool (freon never low)

Last year we had an AC tech come out to inspect one of our 2 units. The one unit blows cool air and it's unmistakable that it is working well. However, the unit in question blows air but it's just not that cold.

After checking the freon it was fine, and he presumably inspected the attic portion and nothing to note. He said the coils outside were dirty and proceeded to wash them off with a wand. It definitely helped. But this year now, it's the same thing -- AC goes on, but cooling is weak.

So a few days ago I clean the coils with water and Simple Green. It seems to help a little, but things just aren't "cool cool". For example, yesterday the unit ran all morning and day, but the thermostat rose from 70 to 73 or 74 by the evening.

Next, I went in the attic to check things out. I didn't see anything egregious but there is an exhaust pipe area with PVC that has a rusted base area. This area blows out cool air although is that a problem? The PVC pipe is uncapped and seems to be the way it is supposed to? But there is a cap nearby just sitting there. Should this hole be patched closed somehow?

The other thing is this fan doesn't turn on while the cooling is on. I don't know if that means anything though. Maybe it's part of the heating portion? I went up again today and this fan is not spinning.

Also, I changed the filters less than a month ago.

Any advice?

Comments (8)

Sponsored
Trish Takacs Design
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars36 Reviews
Award Winning & Highly Skilled Kitchen & Bath Designer in Columbus