SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
tiffany_marciniak

climbing roses behind hydrangeas??

Tiffany
3 years ago
last modified: 3 years ago

Ok ok I know what everyone is going to say- Roses need full sun, Hydrangeas like shade.... But hear me out. I love the look of blue hydrangeas in the front yard, with climbing blush colored roses growing up the front of the house behind the hydrangeas. I've seen photos of this combination, particularly from the east coast/ Nantucket. I live in zone 5b (chicago suburbs) and have found a couple of types of roses that may do well in partial shade (Generous Gardener and St Swithun- both David Austin roses). My question: have any of you had luck with this combo and please share photos or let me know if you would recommend a better option than the GG or St Swithun for a light pink or cream climbing rose that can get up to 10+ ft tall on a trellis/ side of house, big blooms, repeat blooming and fragrant would be a bonus. This is for the front of my home which is East facing and although has only morning direct sun, seems to stay pretty well lit throughout the day, never feels too shady until late afternoon/early evening. I will add a photo of the front of my home if it helps. Also, both the David Austin and Heirloom roses websites are out of the Generous Gardener which seemed like the best option. Any advice on a reputable seller who still has in stock would also be helpful.

Since I have the pic here: my idea was to take out the boxwoods, put a trellis on either side of the window and then maybe a horizontal one above the window to eventually have the roses grow above the window, since I am really bothered by the empty space between that window and the roof. it feels like something needs to be there. I also like this flower combo because I think it would add a romantic, cottage feel to the house which sometimes feels too angular and masculine to me. I am open to ideas.

Thanks in advance if you've read all of this and are able to give a helpful reply

Comments (15)