SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
denise_boyce1

The bones of it all choices too overwhelming.

denise boyce
4 years ago
last modified: 4 years ago

My home is old, 1932. I am redoing my kitchen to try and recover an "updated original" look from an unfortunate redo back in the early 80's. Blk gold and beige. It's horrible. Everything else in my home is original, all woodwork, baths, floors, doors etc. Nothing about my house says modern, trendy or popular. It is a little cottage that some may say looks vintage grandma - which I love.

Here lies my trouble. I have managed to pick out a new cabinet layout, light fixtures, sink, and faucet. It all works. Where I am stumbling is the color choices - cabinets, tile, counter. I'm afraid of painted cabinets - I have no painted wood anywhere. I want to use the type of materials they would have had available back then. I don't though, want to go so far as tiling my counters due to upkeep. I cook every meal I eat. This will be a working kitchen.

When I started this process I looked into a few design firms and found it required a large chunk of budget I just couldn't afford. (Pros - please don't be offended I know your worth the money.) This is a 70 square foot galley and my budget is 20,000 which puts it at $285.00 at foot which for a home that's only worth 165k I think is substantial. Anyhow...back to my question. Are there "decorators" or designers that would just put 2 or three colors choices together using only the 3 materials needed. Stain, tile, stone? Isn't there somewhere like when you buy a new house the builder has a wall of finish choices available and you pick say bath 1, 2, or 3 with kitchen 1, 2, or 3 and floor plan 1, 2, 3 ,4? I can customize the paint and fabrics myself if I could just get help choosing "the bones" I just don't have the confidence with the three things that matter the most.

Photos are my home, my living area.

Comments (18)