SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
publickman

Gift for neighbor who has been watering my plants

Lars
4 years ago

My next door neighbor in Los Angeles has been taking care of my back yard while we are staying in Cathedral City/Palm Springs during the quarantine. A lot of the plants get watered by sprinklers, but then there are a lot that have to be hand-watered, although it doesn't normally take more than 20 minutes once or twice a week to do this. She is also checking the front of the house to make sure that no mail is left, but I had already put in a forwarding notice to the Post Office, which will expire May 30, unless I extend it. We don't know how long we will have to stay here.

Anyway, I decided to make a present for Sara, but I can never know whether she will like it. She is probably around 30, not very feminine, teaches yoga, and generally seems to wear yoga pants. I bought her a necklace in Fiji, but she told me she does not wear jewelry, and so I gave her a vase instead, which she did seem to like. Her husband collects Tiki items, but I'm not making this for him - otherwise I would have used cotton fabric that I bought in Fiji. Maybe I will use that to make masks for them.

Anyway, here are photos of the pillow I made for her.

The fabric is 100% silk, which I got from the textiles department where i used to work. Unfortunately, the colors do not show up that well in these photos, and I do not have good photo editing software on my laptop here.

Here is a detail of the face fabric, showing the black rib detail:

Both of the fabrics are yarn dyed, and the pattern comes from the weaving. The back is a satin weave and while substantial, is not as heavy as the face. I chose these fabrics because I thought they were not too feminine (I have some prettier silk that I considered too feminine for her), and I used different fabric for the back so that the pillow would be more versatile.

I was thinking that if she does not appear to like it that I would tell her that she could give it to someone else, like her mother, who lives nearby.

I know that many people say not to give home decor items as presents, but I have made silk pillows as presents for others (including some of Kevin's co-workers), and he said they loved them, but then perhaps they were only being polite.

I do plan to make Sara and her husband a pair of masks as well. BTW, they have both a dog and a cat.

Do you think it is okay to go ahead and give this pillow to Sara? It did not take me that long to make - putting in the zipper took the longest time. The masks take a lot less time, however.

Comments (59)

Sponsored
NME Builders LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Industry Leading Kitchen & Bath Remodelers in Franklin County, OH