SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
nicoleradams

Need help with Lacanche and Miele combi steam oven decision!

nicoleradams
4 years ago
last modified: 4 years ago

Hello, fellow Lacanche lovers! I have decided that I want a Lacanche range and a Miele combi steam oven. We don't use a microwave, so I think the Miele will be a great alternative, and also will work well for having a separate oven in a separate space for my daughters to use for baking while I'm cooking a meal on the Lacanche. For my space, I need a 39-40 inch range....I'm considering the Volnay or the Chagny. I absolutely love the Chagny, and love the idea of the small broiler and two bigger ovens. My concern there is will I miss the warming cupboard? It seems like the Miele can double as a warming cupboard and has a lot of similar functionality such as bread proofing, yogurt making, and slow cooking. Also, I am concerned about the ovens not being large enough. I know I have one large Lodge cast iron skillet that won't fit in the cluny sized ovens, but maybe its worth the sacrifice. I like the Volnay for the warming cupboard and larger oven, but honestly miss the versatility of having the three ovens on the chagny. Perhaps having the Miele will suffice plenty for having an extra oven and I won't miss the extra ovens on the chagny? Especially if I go for the XXL Miele? One more question...is the XXL Miele worth the extra money, or is the XL plenty big enough for what I want it for...especially for baking? Does anyone who has owned either of these appliances have a suggestion? Thank you!

Comments (35)

• megs1030
    4 years ago

Hi @nicoleradams! We own a Cluny 1400, it was installed this past September / October. We LOVE it! Our Cluny is set up with the Classique configuration, with an induction hob and has 1 electric oven and 1 gas oven, and the warming cupboard. I understand that this is an overwhelming decision, there are so many options on the market and it's difficult to home in on what you want vs. need. The Cluny has the same size ovens as the Chagny, but no small broiling oven. However, I can broil in the electric oven when I need to, which is rarely. I preferred the Cluny over the Chagny because 1. we rarely broil but when we do we could in the electric oven and 2. for the extra storage drawer, which I know sounds weird, but I felt it was necessary with all the extra accessories the ranges come with (wok ring, cookie sheets, etc.).

I think you first need to really figure out how you cook. Do you really need an oven that proofs bread, can make yogurt, and use as a slow cooker? Or does it sound enticing since many of these ovens are capable of these things? I don't mean that to be rude, but make sure you're not getting caught up in the excitement of all these functions if you don't actually cook that way.

Two, I don't own a MSO, but did look at them at a local appliance store. Can you define which models you are looking at? I don't know what XXL means in terms of their sizes. A range? Or the steam oven that looks like a microwave? A bunch of readers on here have a MSO so they are better equipped to answer your questions.

Three, when thinking about the Lacanche, you will need to change some things around. The ovens are smaller and you cannot fit a 1/2 sheet pan in the oven. Your regular cookie sheets probably won't fit. I did purchase 1/4 sheet pans from WS and use those for roasting veggies and baking cookies with ease! I have made pizza on a pizza stone, and that fit fine... it is 14x16. I don't have a cast iron pan, so you may need a smaller one. How large is yours? If you have the larger All Clad roasting pan, it will fit in the oven. My large roasting pan from Costco did not, simply bc of the way the handles are shaped and turned outward rather than in like on the All Clad. I have baked a ton in my Lacanche... cookies, brownies, cakes, pies, sourdough bread, etc. I have roasted turkey, chicken, filet roast, fish, etc. I use the induction burners almost daily. The gas burners are plenty powerful at 5-18k BTU. Service has been great, we had one minor hiccup with the gas hookup, but that was not Lacanche's fault. They came down to check it out and get me up and running again.

Let me know if you have any questions! Lacanche has been a dream to work with!

• nicoleradams
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Thank you for answering megs1030! The steam oven is a wall oven...it can either be steam, convection, or a combination. The XL is very similar in size to a Cluny oven, and the XXL is the same width and depth with a much bigger depth, so more racks could fit....with the ability to cook more at once. I definitely love the idea of the steam oven....more for having a microwave alternative to warm up leftovers and for having a separate oven in our Butler’s pantry for my girls to have as their own space to cook on when I’m using the Lacanche....which will be all the time since I homeschool and we cook three meals a day much of the time. I also love the lacanche warming cupboard, but not sure if it is a bit redundant with the CSO and if I might rather have the three ovens offered in the chagny. But what if the chagny ovens are too small and I would miss the warming oven? It’s such a tough choice!

• Related Discussions

Miele Steam/Combi Steam ovens - plumbed vs non-plumbed?

Q

Comments (45)
    I don't know the answer but I am curious. if I were you (and having the benefit of hindsight) I wouldn't hesitate to call any of the Miele USA "Experience Centers" and ask to talk to any of the design staff. If you are in the US start with the Princeton, NJ center, their US headquarters. Even better if you can get to a center. The staff at these centers are a world apart from anyone you'll encounter at any appliance dealer, they use the products for demos and classes and typically have the appliances in their own homes. And it's their job to know the details on what you are asking. And report back and let us know. P.S: A little searching and I found this: https://www.mieleusa.com/media/ex/us/PressReleases/2021/9.2021_Generation_7000_Launch.pdf. Food View sounds interesting. There's also this thread: https://www.houzz.com/discussions/6229141/miele-7000-series-speed-combi-steam#n=10 Advice on calling the experience centers still stands.
    ...See More

Buying Miele Range & Combi-Steam. Would you also buy a speed oven?

Q

Comments (11)
    I had the exact same dilemma as the OP. We opted to go with the speed oven over a regular microwave which is located under my combi steam. We also have the M touch wall oven with moisture plus. With the two of us - we use the speed oven quite frequently in conjunction with the combi steam as it heats quickly and has full oven capability. This allows us to avoid heating the large oven for just one dish. We have used the speed function a handful of times and it works well but speed cooking is not something we have a need for at this point in our lives. I can also use it as a "warming" drawer if needed. It depends on your budget and if you want to spend the extra $$, but we are happy we went with the speed instead of a microwave.
    ...See More

installation of Miele combi steam oven and 30" convection oven

Q

Comments (11)
    Hi Grace, I love my Poggenpohl kitchen!! I worked with Ellen Mclean at the 23rd street showroom i NYC and she was amazing. The design and craftmanship are outstanding.The kitchen both looks great and functions really well. I have the Segmento model with integrated refrigerator and dishwasher which I recommend.I have the Miele combi steam oven and the 30 inch convection. Both fantastic. I have the Master chef oven that has the rotisserie capability and have used that often. The auto roast function is well worth the oven-have made perfect roasts.I have gone to some cooking classes at the Miele Exoerience center and they are so helpful with information and recipes. I am so happy I went with the Miele appliances. I have the 36" wolf contemporary cooktop which is flush with counter- looks good in my kitchen island. If I can, I will post some photos. What are you considering? Happy to answer any other questions.
    ...See More

Choosing Miele XL or XXL combi steam and second oven

Q

Comments (14)
    If your CSO is your only option for broiling, then sooner or later you won't be able to perfectly clean the oven cavity. You will have some splatter than won't come off. That's just the nature of broiling. Presumably, you're ok with that. But it's one of the reasons why I use the gas range when I need to broil something. I'm less annoyed by that oven getting dirty. Also, my gas range has a much more powerful broiler (it's almost as good as a commercial salamander). So, I'd feel limited by using the broiler element in the CSO. On the other hand, compared to a toaster oven, I would expect my CSO to do better. It is plugged into a much higher-power circuit than a counter top oven. In fact, I have both a Miele SpeedOven and a Miele CSO, and I know that he latter has a much better broiler
    ...See More
  • nicoleradams
    Original Author
    4 years ago

I meant to say that the Miele XXL combi steam oven is the same width and depth with a much larger height. Sorry for the confusion!

• megs1030
    4 years ago

So, you are considering a Cluny that has 3 ovens and then adding a MSO for a 4th oven? To me, that seems like a lot of ovens. I don't typically homeschool (except during this crazy time). Whenever the kids return to school, I will be home all of the time as I do not work out of the house. I use both ovens frequently but have never wished for a 3rd or a 4th.

Here's how I use the warming cupboard. 1. Keeping side dishes warm during large holiday dinners. Just did this on Easter even though it was only my family of 4 eating. But I kept mashed potatoes, asparagus, bread, carrots, and 1 other side in the warming cupboard while the ham finished cooking. 2. Keeping my husband's dinner warm during the days he actually commuted to work while I was schlepping the kids to after school activities. 3. Slow cooker, although I don't do this a ton. I'm not a big slow cooker in general. 4. I have used it 1 time as a bread proofer while messing around with sourdough starter.

We do use a microwave to reheat food unless it's better to just reheat in a pan on the cooktop. I don't know if any of this helps you at all. If it were me, I would not get an MSO with the same size oven. But I honestly don't know if you need it. Are you able to fit a 1400 model in your space as opposed to 2 smaller models? I also have a BP, but put a beverage fridge in there instead.

Have you reached out to Lacanche directly? Elisa and Blair are great, I'm not sure where you live, but Elisa works with buyers on the East Coast, Blair works on the West Coast. Also, if you are not close to one of their showrooms (not that you'd be able to visit during these times) they can get you in touch with an owner so that you could work out a time to see a range in person.

• nicoleradams
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Thank you! Yes, I am working with Elisa, and my sis-in-law has a sully. However, I have not seen a Cluny sized oven in person, so I guess that’s my concern. The MSO would be used as more of a microwave alternative since we don’t have one....but could be used for baking if my girls needed a second space to work. It can also work as a warming oven.....so maybe a Cluny with a MSO would be better....I love that petite broiler and was hoping it could replace my toaster oven....but maybe it’s excessive?

• megs1030
    4 years ago

Elisa is the best, love her! She will help you determine what is best for you. If you need any pics of anything in the smaller ovens, let me know.

• nicoleradams
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Megs1030, yes she is! Quick question for you....if you had to give up one thing about your range, would you prefer to give up the warming drawer, or give up the double ovens and have one bigger one? (Especially if you were adding a wall oven into the mix that could double as all of those things....including warming)

• megs1030
    3 years ago

If your wall oven doubles as a warming oven, then I would not need that on a range. But I'm not sure I'd need 3 ovens either. Honestly, if the MSO does all of those things, I feel like the configuration of MSO and Lacanche is a tad overkill.

If you are intent on having both, and I can't say that I blame you because each is great in their own right, I'd go for the MSO and a Sully. Probably not what you wanted to hear... lol. This way, you don't have to purchase any new cookware to fit in the smaller Cluny ovens. All of your cookware will fit in the larger Sully ovens.
    You have warming and reheating capabilities in the MSO.

Have you figured out your cooktop configuration?

• nicoleradams
    Original Author
    3 years ago

I just plan on doing the standard 5 burner cooktop....I’ve decided I only want one of the 40 inch ranges....,probably going with the Cluny at this point. I don’t really have room for the Sully. Luckily though, I only have one thing that will need replacing....my turkey roasting pan. Elisa has shown me the one she has and how it fits in her Cluny oven, so I feel ok about that.

• megs1030
    3 years ago

Oh i didn't realize you had 40 inches to play with. I'd agree with the Cluny.

• M
    3 years ago

Let me try to provide a slightly different perspective. I have only ever had a single oven in all of my kitchens -- until we remodeled a few years ago. I was very clear on wanting a Miele CSO (best decision, ever!). And the kids insisted that they needed a microwave. I didn't want to commit all that much space to a highly-specialized appliance. So, we got a Miele Speedoven instead of a plain-old microwave oven (i.e. our second wall oven).

One of the few appliances that we decided to keep from the pre-remodel kitchen was the 30" Bluestar gas range. That left us with three ovens. I went through a similar thought process that you did, and I was second-guessing my decision wondering whether I really wanted this many ovens.

It takes a little getting used to the fact that all of a sudden, oven space is no longer a limiting factor. All these ovens can be used at different temperatures and with difference features (i.e. low temp bread proofing, warming drawer, steam cooking, broiler, ...). But very quickly I adjusted and discovered that cooking gets so much easier, if you do most cooking hands-off and in the ovens, rather than hands-on on the stove top. There is a reason why many commercial chefs make ample use of ovens in professional kitchens.

Call me a convert. I now use my three ovens quite regularly, and I find that cooking is much friendly to the chef. I don't see any problem in getting a "lots of ovens" LaCanche and an additional Miele CSO. On the other hand, I am not sure I see a strong need for the XXL oven. The XL is working great for us.

On the other hand, if you never expect to cook complicated multi-course meals on a regular basis, all of this is moot. Any old range will do just fine, in that case. It's not that you need these appliances to cook good food. But they sure do make it more fun.

• nicoleradams
    Original Author
    3 years ago

M, thank you so much for responding...I really appreciate your input. Do you use your Miele CSO as a warming oven, and is that enough space? I guess that is the main reason I'm thinking of going bigger. Since it would be our microwave alternative, I would rather go smaller, but as a warming oven alternative, I'd rather go bigger. For holidays I do have lots of side dishes that I have trouble keeping warm. I've heard that the drawers under the Lacanche make nice warmers too...although I might want to actually use that for storage.

• waverly6
    3 years ago

I have had a separate warming drawer in my primary home for almost 20 years. I absolutely love it and use it all the time. I really missed that function in my beach house kitchen which is currently being remodeled. So my vote is to have an appliance which has that and it will be something you really use a lot. Especially given the fact that you are home so much. When I was researching CSO's (and M was a valuable source of advice), I was going to go with the XXL. Someone had pointed out that if you want to use the shelves to make multiple things. like lasagnas or casseroles, the XXL was a better fit. I also love the idea of having an oven which works as a slow cooker. (one less countertop appliance.) My warming drawer which I picked out has a slow cooker feature.

M has made a good point about the convenience of being able to cook multiple items at different temperatures.

I have a small countertop steam oven while renovations are being done and I use it all the time. I feel you will use it a lot and then wont be able to use it a warming oven at the same time.

• nicoleradams
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Waverly6, thank you for your input! Would you then recommend that I get the Lacanche with one bigger main oven and the warming cupboard along with the Miele CSO, instead of the Lacanche with two smaller ovens?

• waverly6
    3 years ago

Gosh, I am the worst at decision making.

A couple of questions. With the chagny, what is the lowest temperature that the smaller ovens can go to and can it be used as a warming oven? Do you have the option and space to put in a separate warming drawer elsewhere int he kitchen ( like under the CSO)or is there a spot near your eating area where you could fit one in?

Here are my random thoughts, in no particular order.

Most important is your kitchen has to function best according to the needs of YOUR family and circumstances. I can only speak of my experiences. My kitchen in my main home functioned beautifully for a family, for entertaining large crowds and now that my family are grown and have left, still functions beautifully, even after 18 years. My beach house kitchen (reno in progress )has to function for a couple or tons of visitors and possibly as a full time year round home.

I loved my large convection ovens but now I prefer the idea of multiple smaller ovens which have convection. While planning and waiting for my reno, I used air fryers, a
    steam ovens and a Brava oven. I love the speed of smaller ovens and not waiting for ovens to heat up. I have chosen an AGA else induction range which looks very similar to your chagney ( but is 48 inches wide including the side panels.) I haven't used it yet and I know that I have to get rid of my large baking trays and sheet pans etc but seeing that i have multiple ovens and can cook on different levels, I don't see it as a problem for me. I believe it can fit a turkey in but if i ever have to cook a huge turkey I also have a barbeque I can use. It's not a priority for me.

I am placing my warming drawer out of the main cooking area and closer to the dining area so it is easily accessible for visitors to serve themselves and keep them out of my main cooking area. In my main kitchen, it is in my primary cooking area and while I keep food warm there I can't use it for serving as it is inconvenient and I use warming trays in my buffet serving area.

I researched convection steam ovens extensively and loved the Miele XXL. I then happened on a closeout deal of a new Thermador CSO with all the accessories for $400 so it was an offer I couldn't refuse. I have plumbed there and the cabinet can be remade so I have the option to change it out in the future if I want.I would definitley go with the XXL. It just gives you more flexibility.

If you can put a warming drawer elsewhere, I would consider the Lacanche with the smaller ovens ( it has a grilling drawer too, doesn't it?) I often find I have to make something at 350 and then I'm roasting something else at 450. But you have to assess what's best for you.

And ps, your choices are gorgeous.

• nicoleradams
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Waverly6, what warming drawer did you choose? I had ruled out getting one....but you’ve made me rethink it!

• megs1030
    3 years ago

@nicoleradams, the storage drawers under the Lacanche are residual warming drawers only. They only stay warm while the oven is on and then slowly cool down after you shut it off. I have so many Lacanche accessories stored in there (make sure you know what comes with your range) that I would never take it all out to use those drawers as warming ovens. I can tell you that the warming cupboard holds a TON. It has 4 racks with the ability to add 2 more. Depending on the size of the dish, I can hold 4-8 different dishes on those racks.

If you have any questions, please ask Elisa to give you my email address or phone number. I don't feel comfortable sharing it on a message board, but I am an ambassador and she has asked me to speak with clients before. There's only so much I can fully articulate in writing. :)

• nicoleradams
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Thanks megs1030! I wish my kitchen were bigger! I could fit a 1400....but with the size fridge I want, there would barely be any cabinets other than in the island and butlers pantry....😕

• megs1030
    3 years ago

Oh gosh! I hope it didn't come across that I am trying to steer you to the 1400. I'm so sorry, I did not mean to come across as pushy. My apologies if I did.

@waverly6, the smaller broiler oven on the Chagny is not a warming cupboard. It is a petite roasting broiler. To get a warming cupboard on a Lacanche in 40", @nicoleradams would be looking at the Volnay or Vougeot. If she does not need the warming cupboard, then the Cluny or Chagny.

• nicoleradams
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Oh no, Megs1030, you didn’t come of pushy at all! I have thought about it....just not sure it makes sense in our kitchen design! I really appreciate all of your insight!

• M
    3 years ago

As others have pointed out, we can only give general advice. The specifics really depend on your available space and cooking style. In our case, the XXL would have been a little awkward, as we were stacking two units (CSO and SpeedOven). And making one of these units an XXL would have had consequences for the rest of the cabinet design that we didn't really like either.

And for our type of cooking and with the available oven space, the XL has always been plenty. But then, we do have the extra large oven cavity in the 30" range.

To answer your question, the CSO has great temperature and humidity control over a really large range. It is very stable at these temperatures; great for bread proofing and for sous vide cooking, where even small temperature fluctuations can be problematic. And it can reach low temperatures; something my gas range can't. So yes, it makes for a great warming drawer. I haven't felt constrained by the size of the cavity, but it might require more planning which containers to use for your food than if you got a larger oven. So, I can understand why the XXL exists.

We use the broiler a lot in our cooking -- even if it is just to make great toasted English muffins. The broiler in the Miele CSO is passable, but nowhere as good as the one in our gas range. Also, I don't like cooking splattery foods in my CSO, whereas I don't mind that as much in my gas range. If that one gets a little more dirty, it's not as noticeable.

So, what I want to say is that I would probably look for a range that has a good broiler. My personal preference would be for the Chagny. In an ideal world, I'd love to see a model that had a main oven, a broiling oven, and a tall warming oven. But I don't think that particular combination exists. Good thing I am no longer appliance shopping; I'd go crazy trying to find the optimal combination :-)

• nicoleradams
    Original Author
    3 years ago

M, that is exactly what I wish existed, but doesn’t! I’d love the chagny with a warming oven instead of a second regular oven, paired with the Miele CSO!

• nicoleradams
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Corrie, thank you so much for your perpective! What size are your Lodge skillets that you put in the oven? I have a very large one, that I am pretty much certain would not fit. I also have a turkey roasting pan that would not fit, but I'm not as concerned about that one.

• slsunrise
    3 years ago

@nicoleradams - we have a chassagne with 2 induction burners on the way and a wolf steam oven. I wanted the Miele, but it didn’t work w the plumbing situation. I think this is going to be a great combo, and I can’t wait for it to arrive! Keep us posted on what you pick. :)

• PRO
    Deck The Halls
    3 years ago
    last modified: 3 years ago

My skillet is a 12" and about 18" with the handle. I just googled Lodge; I didn't realize they made a larger one! Wow, I need to buy one! No matter what you decide, I I hope you love your Lacanche as much as I do. It's a beauty and an amazing workhorse!

• M
    3 years ago

Don't forget the Lodge also make great rolled carbon steel skillet. They handle very similar to cast iron, but are lighter and easy to lift. Also, being lighter, they respond faster to changing temperatures. If seasoned properly, they clean within seconds and are virtually non-stick. And in fact, they arrive pre-seasoned.

• nicoleradams
    Original Author
    3 years ago

M, I have a crepe pan made out of carbon and I absolutely love it! I didn’t think about skillets made out of that!

• waverly6
    3 years ago

I typed a LOOOOONG answer yesterday but it obviously failed to post.

I went with a Kitchenaid with a slow cooker feature. I think it is this one. https://www.kitchenaid.com/major-appliances/warming-drawers/p.30-slow-cook-warming-drawer.kowt100ess.html.

• Mike
    3 years ago

Hi Nicoleradams, Just curious - what did you end up choosing? We are in a similar decision point right now, planning on a Lacanche Vougeot for our kitchen and thinking of a Miele CSO XXL for the spice kitchen. Based on reviews, it seems like the Miele is fantastic for re-warming food, but the online manual suggests that it doesn't actually have an official keep warm setting (beyond a 15 minute default after food is done cooking). I guess people could just turn it on to a fairly low temperature with some steam/humidity to keep things moist?

• M
    3 years ago

You can program your own favorite recipes. Just program a setting that keeps a constant low temperature. One of the nice things about this oven is the ability to steadily maintain low temperatures in addition to reaching high temperatures. Many cheap consumer grade ovens have trouble with that.

• Mike
    3 years ago

Thanks, I did not know that! The Miele CSO keeps looking better and better! Do you have any recommendations for a good temperature/setting for keeping things warm?

• nicoleradams
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Michael, we went a completely different direction! We ended up getting an Ilve Italian range which has two ovens and we are planning to get a Wolf combi-steam oven.

• Mike
    3 years ago

Nicoleradams - Great! The ILVE was on our shortlist as well, although we couldn't find much info on servicing in Canada. Have you installed it already? How are you liking it?

• nicoleradams
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Michael, it’s not installed yet! We got the slightly older model and purchased from the old distributor, Eurochef, at an incredible discount. The older model is all mechanical....only thing digital on it is the clock. So knowing that, and talking it over with some local repair places, I feel confident that nothing that could go wrong would be too complicated or difficult to figure out.

Sponsored
NME Builders LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Industry Leading Kitchen & Bath Remodelers in Franklin County, OH