Good News OT or is it? (off topic that is)

skibby (zone 4 Vermont)

DH told me today that something from the past is being brought back into vogue. Drive-in movies! Perfect for a time that encourages personal distancing, I hope it's true - I loved those. Oh happy day!!!! I'm getting it all ready now - jammies, pillow. No longer have a stuffed animal so I'll buy a new one - a giant sock monkey for me!!!! Bring it on. Remember?

SaveComment12Like1
Comments (12)
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
roxanna7

Hoping the audio equipment has improved over when I last went to a drive-in -- about 58 years ago! My town has a drive-in but I don't know if it is still in operation...

Save     Thanked by skibby (zone 4 Vermont)
vee_new

I've never been to a drive-in movie. In fact I don't think there were ever any in the UK . . . but I could be wrong!

yoyobon_gw

Not sure if drive-ins would translate to the viewers today, who have plasma HD TV with 60 inch screens in their homes with all the amenities.

carolyn_ky

Um, Yoyo, did you go to the drive-in to watch the movie? Just kidding, of course.

1 Like Save     Thanked by skibby (zone 4 Vermont)
msmeow

Ah, fond memories of being eaten alive by mosquitoes while watching the movie!

phyllis__mn

....and the kids in their pajamas going sound asleep!

Rosefolly

I last went to a drive in movie about 40 years ago. Even then it was considered quaintly old fashioned. You tuned your AM radio to get the sound. People used to drive off with the wired speakers still in their windows. Constantly replacing them was a great expense to the theater owner.

I'd be pleased but still surprised if this takes. Land is just too valuable for other purposes these days.

merryworld

They have always been part of Cape Cod summers and still are. Not really practical for New England winters: https://www.wellfleetcinemas.com/

Rosefolly

In my part of California the cost of land makes it impossible. In Silicon Valley (SF Bay) land costs well over a million dollars an acre. No one could justify the return on investment from a drive in theater. When houses are advertised for sale, the land is described in square feel, not acres.

annpanagain

I looked up details of an outdoor cinema called The Sun Picture Gardens which has been going for over 100 years in Broome, Western Australia.

The story was quite interesting, but the racism! Seating was very selective with even white patrons being classified. However all got wet feet from the constant flooding so the patrons must have been keen!

I remember going to a drive-in about fifty years ago but I don't know if there are any here in Western Australia now. Open air shows are more likely on occasions, take a blanket to sit on!

carolyn_ky

My favorite memories of drive-ins are of children. When my daughter was eight, I took her downtown to see Mary Poppins. She loved it so she wanted to stay and watch it again. When I said we had to leave and go home to cook Daddy some supper, she thought a minute and said, "Maybe it will come to the drive-in and Daddy will take us to see it again."

Later, my sister and I had gone to see Debbie Reynolds in The Unsinkable Molly Brown. We took the children, my niece was small, got tired, and wanted to know when that long 'mercial would be over. (Commercial, of course.)

1 Like Save    
sheri_z6

I saw this article today and immediately thought of this thread. Looks like CT is bringing back the drive-in movie.

https://www.wfsb.com/news/mansfield-drive-in-preparing-to-reopen-with-new-restrictions/article_b0bf0ac0-981d-11ea-bc7a-b7570a438d84.html

Save    
Browse Gardening and Landscaping Stories on Houzz See all Stories
Green Building Off the Grid: Ready to Pull the Plug on City Power?
What to consider if you want to stop relying on public utilities — or just have a more energy-efficient home
Full Story
Pets How to Help Your Dog Be a Good Neighbor
Good fences certainly help, but be sure to introduce your pup to the neighbors and check in from time to time
Full Story
Eclectic Homes Houzz Tour: Good Vibes for a Hollywood Couple in Laurel Canyon
Actor Ian Harding and artist Sophia Hart’s personalities shine in a house nestled in the trees
Full Story