Good News OT or is it? (off topic that is)
6 years ago
Featured Answer
Sort by:Oldest
Comments (12)
Related Discussions
Sad News)off topic
Comments (7)For those who want to see some of her work, I just entered 'flagtruck' in the search at the bottom of the main page for the junk forum, and there are 19 hits. Some lead to her flicker page. I did not go to all the posts now, but in memory of her, I will in the next few days....See MoreOT: Good News - Not Bad! Trust Me!! :))
Comments (44)Mike! That is such awesome news. I guess Arrant (and God) knows that you need him in your life awhile longer! I could not be happier for you. On a side note... I think Aleve is the miracle drug... I love it! Have a great weekend. Bob...See Moreoff topic/ help with choosing new home
Comments (20)As I read your post it seemed to me that you pretty much said which house you want. And it sounds like a beauty ready and waiting for you to make it your own. I don't quite understand why you're waiting! I realize open ceilings are popular, but personally, I can live with or without them. I inspect homes so I've seen all there is to see. Our house doesn't have them and sometimes I think oh well that would have been nice maybe. I just tend to be simple and practical. From a monetary perspective, I didn't want to pay to heat or cool dead space just because it was the most popular trend of the moment. I also agree with Sweeby that lower ceilings can make an environment feel more cozy and not so cold. If given a choice between a new neighborhood or a mature neighborhood, I'd always choose older. Not only because I love mature trees and landscape, (which is obviously a concern to you since you mentioned it) but because they have character that newer neighborhoods seem to lack these days. From an investment perspective, you can see how the people around you have cared for their homes and that helps to give some insight on how well the neighborhood will stay maintained in the future. I'd also opt for a finished yard as opposed to having the expense to install a new one. I'm just not into gardening at ALL so that project could not/would not be DIY for us! :c) When we bought our house, we looked at homes for months but I couldn't ever see us living in any of them until we happened upon our house. I knew our house was "the one" because it was the first house I felt at ease in and wasn't in a hurry to leave. It was a fixer (in need of a lot of work) but when I looked around, I saw it fixed in my mind and I felt at home. You'll have to let us know which one you end up choosing! Good luck!...See MoreOff-topic: Attention everyone who has a good "mouser" kitty
Comments (7)I have had excellent mousers of both genders. My advice would be that you go to a local animal shelter or humane society, and tell them that you would like to adopt a semi-feral cat. A semi-feral cat will be used to being an outdoor cat, and also used to hunting for a large proportion of their own food. My current feral cat is a 14 pound tuxedo named Charlie, and although he's rather wary of most strangers, he greets me every morning and evening and demands a good petting. Also follows me around the garden, lets the dogs tease him gently, and he is death on vermin. He always leaves his prey on the main pathway to the house, so I get to see his trophies. Then after 24 hours, he eats them, so apparently he prefers his meat slightly aged. About once every 2-3 years, he will kill a bird and leave it on the path. I scold him firmly for this, grab him by the scruff and show him the bird and tell him "NO" and "BAD CAT" with a finger shaken in his face, then put the poor bird in the trash can so he can't eat it. He will then ignore birds for a couple of years. In addition to voles, Charlie has cleared out the local chipmunks, field mice, deer mice, wood rats, ground squirrels, and he even catches adult rabbits. Also the occasional squirrel. But he never goes more than about 40 feet from the house, so the wildlife on the rest of the acreage is safe. He ignores snakes and other reptiles and amphibians. I feed him twice a day, more food in the winter than in the summer, and he is allowed in the house whenever he wants to be there, which is rarely and briefly. He comes when he's called, will jump up on the hood of the car for his petting, and allows himself to be held very briefly. But he's definitely not a lap cat. Had Charlie not found a home like mine, he would have been euthanized, so by getting a feral or semi-feral cat, you are also saving it's life....See More- 6 years ago
Related Stories

GREEN BUILDINGOff the Grid: Ready to Pull the Plug on City Power?
What to consider if you want to stop relying on public utilities — or just have a more energy-efficient home
Full Story
PETSHow to Help Your Dog Be a Good Neighbor
Good fences certainly help, but be sure to introduce your pup to the neighbors and check in from time to time
Full Story
KITCHEN DESIGNHave Your Open Kitchen and Close It Off Too
Get the best of both worlds with a kitchen that can hide or be in plain sight, thanks to doors, curtains and savvy design
Full Story
ECLECTIC HOMESHouzz Tour: Good Vibes for a Hollywood Couple in Laurel Canyon
Actor Ian Harding and artist Sophia Hart’s personalities shine in a house nestled in the trees
Full Story
DECORATING GUIDESThe Hottest Houzz Discussion Topics of 2012
Discussions rocked and rolled this year with advice, support, budding friendships — and oh, yes, a political opinion or two
Full Story
GARDENING GUIDESThe Poop Scoop: Enrich Your Soil With Good Old Manure
Get over the ick factor already — this natural super-ingredient for soil has so many benefits, you'll wonder why you ever went chemical
Full Story
MOST POPULARDesign Debate: Is It OK to Hang the TV Over the Fireplace?
In the spirit of the upcoming political debates, we kick off a series of conversations on hotly contested design topics
Full Story
LIFESlow Down and Ease Up: A Sanity-Saving Approach to Life
Why not take the pressure off and live a little more consciously in 2017? The challenging goals can wait
Full Story
GARDENING GUIDESRoses: Crowning Touch of Gardens
Whether you're the Miss or Mister America of gardening or take a hands-off approach, roses can be a winning addition to your landscape
Full Story
MOST POPULAR11 Nominees for the ‘She Shed’ Hall of Fame
These special sanctuaries let busy women get away from it all without leaving the backyard
Full Story
carolyn_ky