Houzz Logo Print
shopperpicky

What are your favourite songs to sing?

6 years ago

I am currently recovering from a surgery that I had 12 days ago. Thankfully, the pathology results were early Stage, contained, and with clear lymph nodes, so I won't need any further treatment.


The nurses had directed me to walk slowly around the hospital floor, to get circulation going and to prevent blood clots. They also suggested deep breathing exercises, to ensure I was getting sufficient oxygen. I mentioned that I loved to sing, and asked if I could sing as I walked, (once home) in place of deep breathing exercises, since singing requires lung expansion and good breath control. They agreed that would work just as well, so I'm doing 'musical walks' around my main floor, 3 times daily.


My DH goes for three 30 min. walks a day, for exercise. One is after breakfast, one after lunch and one after dinner. I'm not up to joining him yet, so I decided to coincide my in-house walking, for the same time DH is outside walking. I can say that I inherited a nice singing voice from both my parents, (and choirs and musical theatre in college) so DH actually likes to hear me sing, but not necessarily when he's trying to read, or watch something on t.v., lol!


My 'walking' songs this weeks have been Hallelujah, Bridge Over Troubled Water, Yellow Brick Road and American Pie. I find that once I start to feel a little breathless as I'm walking and singing, I've done enough, and that walking session ends, which is usually after about a half hour, just in time for DH's return. I'll pick some different songs next week. What are your favourite songs to sing?

Comments (33)

  • 6 years ago

    Good for you! My favorite songs to sing are more suited to sitting at the piano than walking--standards from the 30's and 40's. But I also like to sing Judy Collins and others, including Linda Ronstadt, and I could see walking to some of those. Is "You're No Good" too negative? ;-)


    amicus thanked Alisande
  • 6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

    Country Roads Take Me Home. Lots of looooong vowels! And Free Man in Paris, because the wistful melancholy suits my mood the last couple of years.

    amicus thanked bpath
  • Related Discussions

    Earth Song Is Not Singing

    Q

    Comments (9)
    Hi Ingrid: Own-roots can be wimpy for 1st year. I bought 12 tomatoes plants this year.... roots are wimpy like band-size roses. I planted some in my clay mixed with perlite (BAD idea), some in clay mixed with sand, and some in clay mixed with MiracleGro moisture control potting soil. MG moisture control potting soil is sold cheap at Sam's club, only $10 for HUGE BAG. The best performer is in clay mixed with potting soil, the worst performer is in clay mixed with perlite. MG moisture-control potting has cococut coir to hold moisture, but coconut coir itself is sold really expensive at Walmart, $20 for a small block ... I think fixing the soil with MG moisture control potting soil is cheaper, it would hold moisture, and MG-MC potting soil is fluffy and allows best root-growth, plus slow-released fertilizer. My Golden Celebration was a stingy-bloomer for 2 years in hot sun ... I'm so glad that I moved it to partial shade, it gives twice more bloom after the move, and less watering. I dug up Deep Purple that wasn't doing well, and found rock-hard clay underneath ... I fixed it, and it's OK now ... I wish I had done that sooner.
    ...See More

    Sing a little song ... Weekend Trivia -- Saturday

    Q

    Comments (10)
    This was nice for my brain today, TM. I didn't have to do much thinking! Loved them all! I remember watching the last one when we lived in England. Daddy had rented a TV(!), and the first night we watched TV, every kid in our small village was looking in our window. Of course they got invited in, and we usually had company to watch TV every night after that. Good Grief! That was really a long time ago! ~janie
    ...See More

    What is your favorite song of all time

    Q

    Comments (53)
    Way way too many to list, or even to bring to mind! My top one is probably Canon in D - My heart turns over when I listen to that song. Second, maybe River Dance. I love so many that are already listed in this thread. Someone mentioned Oh Danny Boy and in that same category is Loch Lomand, two ancient songs that I've sung thousands of times. Used to sing them to my kids when they were babies and still sing them to myself from time to time. I have some favorite hymns... Amazing Grace and This is my Father's World are a couple. Unchained Melody - Wonderful song mentioned above. Many others. I love country western and old time rock. My list would be dozens if not hundreds!
    ...See More

    At first, YUCK, how gross, now singing a different song!

    Q

    Comments (31)
    I just couldn't bring myself to make these! I know if I did my blood sugar would be over the top.I love Cheetos,add caramel and I'd be dead meat!LOL Just wanted to add something about substituting margarine for the butter as mentioned on the other thread.Someone had used margarine instead of butter and they didn't turn out as well.In a recipe like this switching margarine in any amount will alter the results.Margarine contains water which will make a big difference.Ever melt margerine?About half of it will be water.Nix the margarine and go for the butter.In a recipe like this I really doubt substituting margarine for butter is going to make much of a difference healthwise!LOL
    ...See More
  • 6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

    Congratulations, Amicus. I wish you a speedy recovery. You must be so relieved.

    I don't sing, hum a little occasionally. My voice is bad, cannot carry a tune. I even embarrass myself if singing little while alone.

    amicus thanked socks
  • 6 years ago

    How about Edelweiss? It’s probably the only song that I know all the words, except for things like happy birthday and row row row your boat.

    amicus thanked dedtired
  • 6 years ago

    I'm prohibited from singing where anyone can hear it but if I'm by myself I occasionally break out in Janis Joplin's "Mercedes Benz" or Muddy Waters' "Baby Please Don't Go". I have a bluesy raspy voice that only I can tolerate and I can carry a tune but have no range, can't go high at all. I used to try to sing Joni Mitchell and Judy Collins style and just didn't have the range or the clear voice for it. :(

    amicus thanked User
  • 6 years ago

    I wish you a speedy complete recovery. I would sing along to most any Broadway soundtrack.

    amicus thanked maddielee
  • 6 years ago

    LOL!! I tend to be a die-hard rock and roller, so my choice of songs might not be everyone's :-) I am much better at singing along with than going solo, so I sing along with my favorite radio station. Yesterday we had a rousing rendition of the Beatles's When I'm 64, Maxwell's Silver Hammer and Rocky Raccoon. Other faves are Bohemian Rhapsody, Killer Queen, Jethro Tull's Too Old to Rock and Roll, Too Young to Die and anything by AC-DC or Supertramp. I also like musicals - Cats, Jesus Christ Superstar, Don Quixote, Les Mise, etc.

    And to be excruciatingly honest, I am no spring chicken!! 72 next birthday. I grew up with rock and roll and it remains to this day my favorite kind of music.

    amicus thanked gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)
  • 6 years ago

    My music preferences overlap somewhat with Gardengal a bit plus some and minus a few she mentioned. Mid-60s to late-70s. Songs with a beat and a groove, not too many ballads or sugary sweet ones. The only so-called show tunes would be the rock-influenced ones, like from Hair and JC Superstar. I also like to sing (and play) songs from the Folk revival of the late-50s through mid-60s. Kingston Trio anyone?

    amicus thanked Elmer J Fudd
  • 6 years ago

    We need a little Christmas

    The sun'll come out tomorrow

    Somewhere over the rainbow

    "Belt 'em out" kind of songs!


    amicus thanked Elizabeth
  • 6 years ago

    Same here Judy, I sing Amazing Grace everyday of my life. Precious Memories, Last of the Silverscreen Cowboys.

    amicus thanked hallngarden
  • 6 years ago

    Have to add, because I just heard it, Leavin’ on a Jet Plane. Also Ticket to Ride (slow, like Karen Carpenter did it). California Dreamin’. And a great belt-it-out song, Oklahoma!

    amicus thanked bpath
  • 6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

    Lion sleeps tonight.

    Day-o I like to sing it with the Beetlejuice version. It makes me laugh :-)

    I love singing Jesus Christ Superstar's Everything is all right. I enjoy Yvonne Elliman's style. I sing Judas and Jesus Christ's parts as well LOL.

    Cyndi Lauper's girls just want to have fun.

    Won't you stay just a little bit longer. I can't quite do all the notes but I love trying and I love how long that song goes for.

    Third me for Bohemian Rhapsody. I absolutely adore singing this one.

    Although I'm not very good in the pronunciation I also really enjoy singing guantanamera.

    One more because I could probably keep going forever and ever. I Will always Love You as sung by Whitney Houston.


    amicus thanked yeonassky
  • 6 years ago

    And my music preferences overlap with Elmer and gardengal. Except I can't carry a tune to save my life. But when I'm by myself singing, I don't care. I sing at home and in the car. But I have a friend who can't sing any better. When we're together, we sing together. But never in front of anyone else! Because we both know we suck ;>)

    amicus thanked sephia_wa
  • 6 years ago

    I know a lot of folk songs and even some medieval stuff. I have a fair voice now though it was pretty good when I was young. I used to know a lot of voice majors who sang parts and you need a person with pitch and I have that. You have to start at exactly the right pitch for all the voices. It was lovely to stand in that group of wonderful singers.

    Get well soon. Sing is good for the soul.

    amicus thanked patriciae_gw
  • 6 years ago

    No suggestions as what I usually sing ... please no one listen...it's bad! ... is due to or becomes an ear worm.

    But did want to say how happy I am for your results and wish you happy and rapid healing.

    amicus thanked Annie Deighnaugh
  • 6 years ago

    Hope you have speedy recovery. I started my own version of the Figure Eight dance moves. Songs I sing, along with videos, are More, More, More by Andrea True Connection and Boogie wonderland by EWF

    SamKaren Your resident dj

    amicus thanked samkarenorkaren
  • 6 years ago

    I don't have a good singing voice, so the only times I sing out loud is when I'm alone -- then I sing along with whatever music I'm listening to -- generally American roots music, but I've got wide ranging taste. Bob Marley's 'Three Little Birds' if I'm in an especially good mood: "Don't worry, about a thing, cause every little thing's, gonna be alright...." ! Or in church, where my voice is drowned out by everyone else.

    amicus thanked User
  • 6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

    Generally mine are the same as Gardengal and Elmer. Some favorites lately have been on my mind from John Prine though like Angel from Montgomery. And then I will get something seasonal for the summer like Sheryl Crow’s Soak Up the Sun, or some Jimmy Buffett song. And one of my favorites, Southern Cross.

    amicus thanked OutsidePlaying
  • 6 years ago

    Thanks for your responses, and for your wishes for my continued good health. I was very grateful to learn my cancer was caught so early, as they had no idea of the Stage, until I had my surgery.

    I'd swear you're all 63, as we have many favourite songs in common! But clearly the 60's/70's was a great musical era for many of us. I grew up across from Detroit, loving Motown music from childhood. Then, from my teens to mid twenties, I got to go to many concerts in Detroit, with a relative who was a DJ.

    So I was lucky enough to have seen Queen, Led Zeppelin, Rush, Journey, Pink Floyd, Grateful Dead, Foreigner, Supertramp, Simon and Garfunkel, Chicago, Bee Gees, Fleetwood Mac, The Who, Eagles, ELO, Doobie Brothers, Blondie, REO Speedwagon, Aerosmith, Hall & Oates, Eric Clapton, Elton John, Billy Joel, David Bowie...well, just many, many great concerts!

    The only band I didn't go see, that I could have, was The Stones. They do have a few songs that I like, but I guess I just didn't like enough of their music for a whole concert. I know that millions upon millions of fans, (and their extreme longevity) would beg to disagree with me, lol!

    My daughter's MIL stopped singing at church, after the person sitting next to her, laughingly told her that she should never sing. 'Linda' is the first to admit that she can't carry a tune very well, so she always sang softly, to join in, but not to throw off the 'decent' singers nearby. I was so sad to hear that Linda now feels she needs to remain silent, when everyone else sings, and am trying to convince her otherwise.

    Singing is an expression of joy, and often a means of de-stressing. If one hates their voice, they don't have to belt out songs so loudly, that they overpower everyone else with whom they're singing. But I'm so disappointed in how that person's thoughtless comment, affected my friend so deeply. He may as well have told someone 'You don't have a pleasant laugh, so never laugh.'

  • 6 years ago

    That person was thoughtless and a thoughtless person shouldn't be listened to. So glad your mending is going well... meant to say that before but forgot.

    amicus thanked yeonassky
  • 6 years ago

    Monday, Monday (The Mamas and the Papas) -- ooops, wrong day. Dang this quarantine, I forgot what day it is! For reasons I am unsure of, I frequently find myself singing Mack the Knife while I shower.

    amicus thanked jupidupi
  • 6 years ago

    Thank you Jupi. My earworm of the day is Louis Armstrong's version of Mack the Knife. :). Guess what I'm listening to now...

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S-lHrDPjGfQ

    amicus thanked yeonassky
  • 6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

    Southern Cross by Jimmy Buffett is a cover recording. The original was by Crosby Stills and Nash. It started as a song of a different title by two song writers that Stephen Stills took and adapted and significantly rewrote to become Southern Cross in its current form.

    For those who like Mack the Knife, you might be interested to know that the song comes from a German light opera called Three Penny Opera that was written in the 1920s. This particular song from the show is called Mackie Messer (Mack the Knife) and I think it was about a killer in the story. Here's an adaption of the original version in German, sung (by of all people) Sting and with an accordion as the principal instrument, as in the original. . The song was written for Lotte Lenya to perform, and a version of her doing so (audio, no video) is also available on YouTube for anyone interested. I like this show version of the song much better than the adaptions of the 50s and 60s.




  • 6 years ago

    Do Re Mi....that song from the Sound of Music sung by Julie Andrews is an almost daily ear worm for me. I sing aloud with the ear worm when no one is around to hear me. Other than that, I sing many of the hymns I learned growing up. The Old Rugged Cross is a favorite and Whispering Hope another. My Mom and Dad sang together when working around the house and as teen, I joined them in the mostly hymns that they sang.

    amicus thanked lgmd_gaz
  • 6 years ago

    Amicus, your story about the one who was told they couldn't sing dredged up an episode I'd not thought about for over 60 years! As a child I had a neighbor kid who unfortunately had a voice just like the kid in the "Little Rascals" series called Froggie. Seriously, it was extreme. We went to Sunday school together and after that of course there was the church service. One day she told me to follow her and she headed for the seats in the choir up in front behind the Minister and she proceeded to belt out singing along on all the hymns, she knew all the words and didn't even have a hymnal. We couldn't have been moe than 7 or 8 years old. Well, the looks from all the people in the choir was classic shock and awe. I remember the Minister looking over quite a few times. This went on and nothing was said. The next Sunday she was all set to do it again and we were on our way up to the choir seats but suddenly (I don't know what because I was a kid) we weren't sitting up there like we did the previous Sunday. I don't know how I would have handled this as an adult, how in the world do you tell a little child that loves to sing they can't?? But really folks - it was so bad!

    amicus thanked User
  • 6 years ago

    I have a dear friend who is entirely tone deaf and she always volunteered to sing, would sing right over other people and all because she has never been told she cant sing. She even sang in a church choir which she only sang in because she believed she was a great singer. I don't know how she can listen to a recording of herself singing and maintain that illusion but apparently she can. We now live far from each other so it no longer could come up but I would never tell her of course but it has been trying from time to time. Still friendship is more important than harmony.

    amicus thanked patriciae_gw
  • 6 years ago

    I love Mamma Mia Here We Go Again. This song might speed up your recovery. :-)

    amicus thanked summersrhythm_z6a
  • 6 years ago

    Yes, Elmer, the original is my favorite version too. I didn't intend for it to sound like JB's version was the one I listen to or sing to. There was another more recent band who covered it too but can't recall who at the moment.

    Speaking of CS&N, Ohio is a favorite and I just heard it this morning on my way to the grocery. The announcer reminded it was just a week away from the anniversary of the Kent State shootings, which led to the song. Wow, it still seems like just weeks ago in some ways.

    amicus thanked OutsidePlaying
  • 6 years ago

    rita, that is heartbreaking, to think that a child's joy of singing was squashed because their voice would 'ruin' the trained melodious voices of the choir. I can understand that a theater arts teacher obviously wouldn't give a tone deaf student the lead, in the school musical. But in a place of worship, it's disappointing to hear that anyone would ever feel shamed into not singing hymns, which are supposed to be about the words you sing, and not how skillfully you sing them.

  • 6 years ago

    Elmer, I went to see Threepenny Opera once, because I knew that song was in it, and I figured I'd like the show. Whoa! Not what I expected!

    amicus thanked bpath
  • 6 years ago

    My poor mom could never carry a tune in a bucket. She and her sisters used to sing while washing dishes, but they teased her and told her to hush. Mom loves music, loves to dance, enjoyed the Opera, made sure her children learned music, took some piano lessons herself, but she just can't sing.

    I can't sing, either. At a Do It Yourself Messiah at the Lyric, I sat in the front row of the balcony, between the altos and the tenors. The group behind were, I think, from a convent choir. Since I was in the front row, I sang whenever I wanted (I can at least read music), assured that no one could hear me. I could switch between alto and tenor parts, my range is pretty limited. And sometimes I could just sit back and be Swept along by the glorious voices around me.

    amicus thanked bpath
  • 6 years ago

    patriciae, my former boss was totally tone deaf, and she joined our city's choir, which performs at different events throughout the year. I can testify that it isn't easy on the ears to hear someone belt out songs that are always very pitchy and totally off key. Whether she didn't realize she was tone deaf, I'll never know. But I just felt she wouldn't have joined the choir, if she didn't love to sing.

    And bless his heart, the choir director never raised an eyebrow, nor did anything to indicate she was any less talented than everyone else. It was really touching to see her children and grandchildren in the audience of our Christmas concert. Her family was surely aware of their mother/grandmother's less than pleasant singing voice, but clearly supported the joy that she found in singing.