SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
travisaz

Meyer lemon leaf droop and watering 101 questions

Hi all,

thanks in advance for your advice. It seems I ask a new question here almost daily.

My first question has to do with leaf droop. My Meyer lemon put out a lot of new growth in the last week or two. Several new branches flush with tender green leaves. At the same time, we hit a heat wave in Phoenix. Almost overnight we jumped from high 70s/mid 80s to upper 90s/low 100s. This seems to be too much for my young tree and it is drooping significantly, particularly among the new growth. I noticed this morning it was already drooping when I checked on it at around 9 AM (about 90 degrees outside). Overnight lows are mid to upper 60s, so I don't think the problem is the leaves warming up before the roots. It perks out of it in the evening as the temperature comes back down. I understand this is probably a normal reaction, but I'm wondering what I should do about it? Should I pull it out of the sun, or let it acclimate through experience? it typically gets morning and early afternoon sun, from about 6AM-2PM.

My second question has to do with the yellowing I am observing on some of the older leaves. I initially thought this was resource management, that it, the tree taking from old leaves to feed the new growth. But it continues to spread, and is now impacting a half a dozen leaves instead of the oldest one or two. They do seem to be concentrated at the bottom of the tree. I use Arizona's Best Citrus Food (CRF), about 1/8th cup around monthly. I also use Foliage Pro in every couple of waterings. So I don't think it should be a fertilizer issue, but that is what the yellowing pattern looks like to me.

My big fear is that it is a watering issue. I use a modification of Al's 5-1-1 mix--mine is 5-2-1 because I live in a hot and arid desert. It drains fast, the pots have good drainage. I water deeply (until I see good flow out the bottom) at each watering, which has been every 3-5 days. My wife thinks I don't water enough, but I worry I water too much. I tell myself I don't have to worry about overwatering with this mix, but....

To test for watering, I'll stick my fingers in the top couple of inches and check for moisture. The surface is completely dry (as evidenced by touch and appearance--it looks dried out). But just underneath that the soil has a darker color indicating moisture. It will feel a little cooler, and be crumbly to the touch. If it doesn't feel "wet," I'll go ahead and water. Should I be waiting until it really dries out like the sky-facing surface (and looks dried out)? Is overwatering a real risk with this mix?

Thank you thank you thank you 😁.

Comments (14)