SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
bedefan

Question on leaf chlorosis & mottling (meyer lemon, potted)

Mike George
8 years ago

Hi all, I'm attempting for the first time to grow potted citrus. I live in Zone 6. I've got experience with large-scale outdoor vegetable gardening but haven't tried to grow, well, anything indoors before.

I ordered a 3 or 4 year-old meyer lemon from Four Winds to get myself started. It arrived in August and I kept it outside until about 7 weeks ago (beginning of October). Since bringing it inside it's put out a lot of new growth and started flowering. I keep it beside a north-facing window for some ambient light, but its main source is a 4-ft. bank of 4 hi-intensity T5's, which the tree is directly under.

As for soil it's in a homemade mix of sphagnum, perlite, and pine bark fines. It's very well-draining. I'm using Foliage Pro 1 tsp./gal. of H20 about once per week. (I don't give it a whole gallon every week, more like 1-2 quarts. I'm not watering otherwise. I've been waiting until the potting medium is just damp at about 3-4 inches down before watering again.) Soil pH sits at about 6.1 when moistened with distilled water, so I'm guessing it's a bit more acid than that.

In the last week the new growth started showing chlorosis and some of the old growth started showing mottling. I thought the mottling might be burns from an organic insecticidal soap I'd used to control some annoying fungus gnats, so I gave the tree a rinse in the shower. But the mottling has continued to appear.

Anyway, that's a lot of info. Here are some pictures of mottled leaves (there's only a couple on the tree now; half a dozen or so have fallen off) and one of the new growth showing chlorosis.

Comments (6)

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!