SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
originalpinkmountain

Meditation garden musings

l pinkmountain
4 years ago

I'm in the process of creating a garden in my back yard. It's in a spot surrounding a red oak tree on one side, and the well cap on the other. The previous owners of the house, who built it, put a massive pile of rocks around the tree, with landscape cloth underneath, creating a virtually unmanageable mess of rocks. I am slowly but surely removing the rocks, slowly because I am washing them and reusing them to crate a fire pit. Also slowly because underneath the large rocks are piles and piles of tiny pebbles which interfere with creating a good soil environment. It's like a little glacial outcrop basically, the spot where all the tiny pebbles drop out of the meltwater . . . but that's another story I guess.

The spot is right in the middle of my yard, visible from the window in my office, my porch and deck, and the new fire pit area. I'm hoping it can eventually be a show piece. There are minimal things I can plant there, due to tree roots and also this whole pebble issue. I'm imagining it as a Japanese garden in honor of my late mother who lived and taught in Japan for a year before marrying my Dad. Two things that will be there already are a shinto lantern shrine, and a small Japanese maple. It's shady. I live in the Midwest. Zone 5b or 6s, depending on the year and where Lake Michigan decides to drop the air.

What else do you think would be fun to look at? I'm thinking spring crocus and maybe some paperwhites or grape hyacinths, maybe something called "foamflower" if I can find it or a heuchera with interesting foliage . . . maybe some log stands with pots of colorful fun stuff like lobelia or dragon's wing or other begonias . . .

What shady garden plants and views give you pleasure and calm?

If I had any luck with dwarf pines or hemlock that would be once choice, but so far I have managed to kill most of the ones I plant . . . most likely not my fault, rootstocks are very touchy with those kinds of things. Good ones are hard to find. The place I buy most stuff hasn't proved to me to have good rootstocks. They sell a lot of stuff, but most of it isn't hardy. But that's the nature of the grafted dwarf coniifer business. A success comes along every once and a while, and they are gorgeous. But not guaranteed.

Comments (19)