SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
megamav

Musings of an amateur apple gardener

megamav
12 years ago

Im bored tonight, so I'm here to write about some of my thoughts on whats going on with my backyard, whats been done, and thoughts on what im going to do in the spring. I would like feedback, correction and experiences from you guys, especially scottfsmith and harvestman if you're out there. You can skip to my questions at the bottom if you dont have time to read all of my experiences.

This will be a LONG post, so buckle up.

-- My Jonamac is 1 season in the ground now, came in on G30 as a feathered maiden. Its grown probably about 3 feet, up to about 7 feet. Im wondering how tall this tree is going to get, im guessing about 10-12 feet. I kinda screwed the scaffolds up when I planted the tree, instead of making all of them the same length, I cut them all in 1/2. In hindsight I should have made them all 3/4" nubs and let them all grow out. I headed the tree after planting, and it really took off. In the spring, I'll be heading it back again, about 3 feet above the highest branch, and cutting the branches back to the length of the shortest branch, hopefully that will even things out. I've received that advice from Alan at Cummins Nursery.

-- 2 More plantings are coming in in the spring, Kidd's Orange Red on G11 and Orleans Reinette on G202. I have a 10 foot area for the Kidds and a 12 foot area for the Orleans Reinette. I put a layer of top soil down, then tilled the area about 5 inch deep to mix it all in. My soil is sandy and acidic, so I want to start treating it if possible after the trees are established, more on that later.

-- Flavors and such. Kidd's I can imagine what it tastes like. I've had Gala from California, I've had September Cox and October Cox from an orchard here in NY, Samascott's. September Cox's trees looked pathetic but the fruit was outright amazing. October Cox didnt have that kaleidoscopic flavor the September did. Anyway, Orleans Reinette, I've read so much about it, and I absolutely wanted it based on its flavor profile. However I've never had it or had the opportunity. Its slightly biennial and a light cropper, perfect, because I dont want a ton of apples out of it. Flavor, I've heard its really amazing, citrusy tangerine, walnutty, possibly vanilla undertone. Great all around for cooking especially baking. Anyone back this up? Scott I think you have some trees. G202, not a huge tree, but im thinking its going to be on the 10 foot tall 5 foot wide scale.=, G30/M26 class.

--Pre-winter

I am only tending to the Jonamac at this time, its been easy so far. No treatments this year, but by the end of the season I did see some apple scab popping up. I've picked up every leaf I could find on the ground. There cant be more than 50-60 leaves, so it hasnt been hard. I've dug out the mulch and laid down a 2" deep donut of compost keeping it away from the actual trunk. I have a cloth mesh tree wrap on the bottom 6" of the tree to protect it, is there any reason to remove it at this time? Ive done nothing to the other part of my yard where the other 2 trees are going in other than the topsoil and tilling. I was thinking since I have acidic soil, that I should start liming, but I dont want to harm the tender tree roots in the spring with alterations. I think at the very least, I'll put bone meal down on top of the soil where the trees will be planted.

--Spring Planning

Start minimal treatments of Spectracide Immunox. I've read about people doing 2 sprays. Once after petal drop and once after 10-14 days. I do have cedar apple rust in the area, and scab isnt avoidable. My crab apple got the tentacles of CAR this year from miniature Junipers in the neighborhood. Nothing I can do about it other than preventative measures on all trees including the crab. Any other things I should be doing in the spring in terms of treatments? Traps?

--Plant the trees, and pray they take. Im getting trees removed from my yard, and all trees based on my observations should get sun from 7:30AM to about 3:30PM during peak season. Orleans Reinette will be in a warm cutout near my house, I've heard this tree likes warm spots. KOR will be about 12 feet from it, up against another wall, all south facing. I think about 8 hours of sun is enough, diminishing as the days get shorter.

These are my musings.

4 trees (No more to be planted in the future):

Ornamental Crab

Jonamac

Kidds Orange Red

Orleans Reinette.

Fresh Eating, Gourmet, Pies, Cooking, happy taste buds and prying neighbors. :)

Skip to my Questions:

I have a cloth mesh tree wrap on the bottom 6" of the tree to protect it, is there any reason to remove it at this time? I plan on extending it up the tree about 2 feet to protect it from rabbits and mice over the winter. I also have "hardware cloth" which is a metallic mesh I plan on encircling the tree to keep small animals out. I'll probably anchor it in the ground before freezing.

Any additional information, advice, tips, flavor profile on Orleans Reinette?

Any other things I should be doing in the spring in terms of treatments? Traps?

What can I do to safely condition my soil over the long haul? Im sandy and acidic here at the forest's edge. Keep mulching and compost with lime and bone meal?

If you made it this far, thanks for reading.

Your comments are appreciated.

-Eric in NY

Comments (19)

Sponsored
Kitchen Kraft
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars39 Reviews
Ohio's Kitchen Design Showroom |11x Best of Houzz 2014 - 2022