Thoughts on using Hoosier Hill Farm dry milk products?

rosewitch

I am looking at Hoosier Hill Farm dry milk and at the moment can get powdered heavy cream as a special purchase 1 or more product deal. Wondering if anyone here has tried or use these products? I like that they are produced in northeast Indiana and guaranteed fresh.

I live alone and as a pulmonary hypertension patient, I have been home bound since early March; before my state had any confirmed virus. Being 71 plus immunocompromised, Dr's said stay home and as I spend most time home as a rule, not too stressed. I get frozen food delivered and have stepped up my amazon pantry item orders. My daughter keeps me stocked with fresh stuff; eggs, cream etc. There has been a lot of crustless quiche making, using various veggies and herbs. Easy and makes several meals for me. But now thinking about getting shelf stable dry milk and wondering if anyone here has tried or uses Hoosier Hill Farm milk powders? I tend to use a lot of heavy cream for quiche, soups and diluted in a favorite sourdough farm bread. Having the dry milk on hand would sure be a help. I welcome any opinion or recommendation.

SaveComment5Like
Comments (5)
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
sleevendog (5a NY 6aNYC NL CA)

Oh, I recognize the brand. I almost ordered the blue cheese powder for popcorn snack topping last year and did a search on the company. Looks great to me but have zero personal experience.

I've stocked Peak brand milk powder, a goat, and a buttermilk for the last dozen years I keep in the freezer. Rarely buy fresh milk as we don't use it much. Mostly substitute yogurt.

We are making a crustless quiche, frittata, once a week now. Using up tons of fridge veg and slice very thin potato or sweet potato as the 'crust', heating up our small cast iron on the stovetop, searing/steaming the potato with a lid on, then adding veg, then into the oven after adding more veg and 5 eggs/milk/cream. Good for dinner then a next day breakfast or lunch.

Save     Thanked by rosewitch
rosewitch

Me too on the thin sliced potatoes! I have been layering the potatoes with sliced shallots or onion and baking them first till tender and then adding other veggies, egg/cream mix and lots of cheese. I also love adding thyme. I got some freeze dried kale and used that a few times as well. Each quiche is sort of winged on what I have and or feel like using. All have been good and joyfully eaten! Having lost too much weight due to my PH treatment drugs, I don't have to worry about using lots of full fat ingredients. Love having leftovers for a quick breakfast!!

Save    
sleevendog (5a NY 6aNYC NL CA)

Kudos to winging it. I have asparagus ends I slice very thin, and some chard. So miss shallots but have to let that go for now. (can't get them). I do have some leeks I need to use. And some mushrooms. Plan was to make a frittata this morning but we had plenty to snack on....so tomorrow with be the 'kitchen crispers drawer' frittata.

2ManyDiversions

I've never had any experience with either the Hoosier brand or powdered heavy cream. I'm mostly responding to bump up and see if anyone else will pop in and know about either. I'm sorry - no opinions or recommendations other than why not give it a try? I think having a shelf stable source of milk - and cream, is a good idea. I was homebound for a very long time and though I never used it, having powdered milk was something of a comfort. Doesn't take up much room, and it's there if you need it. Of course, the moment I tossed it, I needed it for a recipe, but that's another story!

By the way, I'd never thought of using blue cheese powder on popcorn. Will have to give it a try. Yeah, I have some, thought it interesting, and it has been : )

Anyone else familiar with dry/powdered cream or Hoosier Hill Farm?

rosewitch

I went ahead and ordered both dry milk and cream. Figured I would at least try them. I have quite a few bread recipes that call for dry powdered milk. And having it on hand along with evaporated milk will come in handy when I run out of fresh these days. It will be mostly used for using in soups and bread. Because my area is now the states hot spot for Covid; my daughter is trying to limit shopping trips to every other week. ;)

1 Like Save    
Browse Gardening and Landscaping Stories on Houzz See all Stories
Traditional Homes Houzz Tour: Connecticut Farm Restored for Generations to Come
A man renovates his extended family’s stately farmhouse and land. Sustainable practices are used in gardens, wetlands and recreation areas
Full Story
Farm Your Yard How to Set Up a Productive and Beautiful Edible Garden
These 8 design strategies will help you design a hardworking kitchen garden that’s as gorgeous as your ornamental beds
Full Story
Farm Your Yard Remake Your Backyard Into a Mini Farm
You can get a taste of country life by line-drying your laundry, growing some produce or going whole hog with the critters
Full Story
Ark Woodworking builds European cabinetry for any room in the house. Kitchens, libraries, mudrooms, and bars to... Read More
The Mission of USA Cabinet Store and Design Center is to provide the best customer service, the highest quality... Read More