SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
lilyfinch

Spring : 2020 : new beginnings part 3

Hello friends!! I noticed our other thread was long ( although full of gorgeous eye candy and so many friendly posts!! ) . Thought it was time for a fresh one . I hope you all are holding up well . Our weather had switched to summer and I’m so glad we have a pool to relax in ! Thougg the sun is frying some blooms pretty good it sure feels so nice !

heres a few blooms from me !! Looking forward to everyone sharing what’s happening in their gardens and homes!

State of grace: who grows it ? what does it smell like ? I can’t pinpoint it but it’s so familiar and fruity

Pretty certain Chicago peace

First Abraham Darby

Comments (229)

• pippacovalent
    3 years ago

Finally I have my first rose bloom and it's Morden Sunrise...

There's a lot of other prettiness in the gardens too..

• Lilyfinch z9a Murrieta Ca
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Happy Mother’s Day !!!

I can’t wait for my husband to be off tomorrow so I can break out of this house alone . lol

Wow !!! Ok loveeee compassion Stephanie. Thats so beautiful!!!

Jim , sorry bout your snow and not sorry you get another month to be secure in your home for now . You’ll see Gods plan on this when you look back !

Carol , I am in need of a nice pot for a geranium I find extra special. So I’ll be looking too ! I understand the desire to have some kind of order with them .

Jc - do you think that rose is moonlight in Paris ?! Lucky find if so .

Sylvia , beach looks so beautiful!!! I’m so glad we can go again .

Jj , sorry you are still so cold too! My mom lives where they make you wait also in line . I can’t imagine. Hopefully they will die down after the excitement wears off .

Garden nut , I love all your pics!!!! That weeping cedar is so beautiful. I’ve always admired them in gardens . They can get so large and look like creatures coming out of the ground with their drapey limbs ! I love them !

Pippa congrats on the first bloom and gorgeous iris !!!! Iris really have spectacular color don’t they ?!

Sara Ann ,

Lavender lassie looks so so good !!!

I’ve never seen a baby praying mantis! Isn’t he a cutie ?

Leonardo da Vinci

Sigh ... this little guy is so crazy . His teeth are sloooowwwwly coming up . He’s pulling up on everything he can To stand and tearing up my house and generally If he’s awake I have to be next to him or buy myself 15 min of time in the play pen before he gets mad . Lol

and I’m Lucia’s only friend right now so my hands are full and my garden time is short !! But that’s ok , they are such gifts , I imagine if I was in Tennessee my large garden would be an absolute wreck . Lol

• Related Discussions

update: update: mnf jan 2010 swap - new beginnings part 2

Q

Comments (2)
    Hi Dawn, please thank your hubby as well will you, i am excited about getting my herb garden started,and about the poppy seed,your hubby actually gathered the seed for you?How nice. Wayne is really nice also, he does not glean seed for me, but he would if i asked him,he does pretty much any thing i ask of him. I understand about the excitement of putting the box together, i think we all try to do the best we can,any way i do,and its proof, you do.ha ha Where did you ever find them garden gloves?They look like they will work out great.Can't wait to try them. I hope your box will be as nice as mine,and i hope every one will go read the last posting,so they can see what all you sent. cAROL
    ...See More

Spring : a time for new beginnings Part 2

Q

Comments (278)
    Oh, she is really beautiful!!! Truly! Great job on getting through the hard part. I like what Kristine said...may you always be the best of friends!! Try and take it easy...get lots of rest.
    ...See More

2020 Blooms Part 3 For All To Add To

Q

Comments (120)
    Passion seems to be a new variety yes, grown for cut flower production (a mislabel for Ambiance this season) About the 2nd Belladonna, I am not sure. Even Charles from Hadeco could not say much about it, he did confirm that the 1st one is Belladonna indeed. I mean, if I happen to have had a complete white Thai Thai, perhaps it is the same for the 2nd Belladonna, no idea. We shall see how it blooms next season
    ...See More

Spring : new beginnings part 4

Q

Comments (325)
    Minshin - I'm in Calgary, Alberta. The hail capital of Canada! LOL Oooh! Your CPM looks heaven-lit!!! Kristine - Good heavens!!!! If my ORA had looked even a tiny, wee little bit as good as yours...it would still be here. Totally, off the charts amount of glorious flowers!! I can' believe it!!!! Ooooh!!! I've always loved the look of CRM!!! The lavender color is exquisite!! Stephanie - beautiful yard...and your path is wonderful!!! I want that in my yard! jc - is it a kingsnake? It sure is long!! Deborah - holy sh*t!!!!! That would scare the bejeebers out of me!!!! It's a wonder I didn't hear you screaming from way over here!! I love your picture with the blue chair...the colors of your roses are amazing!! White Licorice is such a wonderful rose...yours does you proud! Wowza! Your Julie Andews is awesome!!! What is the fragrance like? Wonderful roses!!
    ...See More
  • pippacovalent
    3 years ago

It looks like Distant Drums will be blooming soon too!

I'm really amazed at how many large buds are on my tiny baby Reines des Violettes.

• Kristine LeGault 8a pnw
    3 years ago

Pippa, is this your first year with Distant Drums or have you had it a while?

• rosecanadian
    3 years ago

Merlena - yup...Your Lavender Lassie is a performing savant!! :) Looks wonderful! :)

Kristine - yeah...I agree Parole is not better. LOL Oh wowza!!! Another space for a rose!! What a wonderful husband!! Course he may not have known that he was creating another rose space...but hey...good husband regardless. That was a great idea to wish Happy Mothers Day to single dads! Yup, we had snow today. But it melted...all is good.

Sylvia - Your Flamenco Dancer looks great! Great job! And cowabunga on the surfing!!!

Sylvia - your OLOG flower looks incredible!!! What a great shot of a lovely, lovely flower!!

jj - yeah...spring is pretty awful this year. We had snow too. And I think my husband will be schlepping my rose pots in and out of the garage until June. Sheesh!

Gardennut - I thought that was a larch. Shows how little I know about trees. LOL I love your Jubilee Celebration...the color is amazing!

Pippa - Congratulations to your Morden Sunrise! It has very pretty soft colors. Your irises are lovely...such wonderful markings! And I love allium!

Lilyfinch - awwwwwww....it's adorable!!! I've never seen a picture before of a baby praying mantis! Soooo cute! Oh my...your Leo DV has such a striking color and the bush looks amazing! And I love the delphs! Yup...I remember the days...not much time for what you want...and I know you know this...and I know it's been oversaid...but they grow up quickly and you'll love the memories you're making with them.

Thanks, Jim! That's a beautiful rose heart wreath! How do you copy pictures from the internet and put them here...I've tried...and I can't do it. :)

• totoro z7b Md
    3 years ago

Hope everyone had a lovely Mother's Day. Update on those peonies. Looks like their blooms will coincide with the salvia Caradonna this year.

• jjpeace (zone 5b Canada)
    3 years ago

I am having my breakfast while I am admiring the snow. Wow this is crazy. This will definitely kill all the new growth on the roses. Sigh.

• jc_7a_MiddleTN
    3 years ago

My Austin’s are the first ones blooming in this cold.

Boscobel opens so so slowly. I like it.

my first Abe Darby bloom worth a photograph.

I know heritage shatters quickly but I like that. will check in again this afternoo.

• lkayetwvz5
    3 years ago

I am so envious of all you persons with roses blooming! There's too many to individually comment but I've enjoyed them all so much! Thank you!

The freezes as taking their toll here. Three already this past week and another tonight and tomorrow night. It did indeed snow on Saturday! My hubby called on his way up to get plumbing parts to tell me and just shortly after it started flurries here. And it rains constantly. As a consequence we have had hardly any sunshine all spring and I don't see very many buds on my overgrown spindly roses. My peonies are 4' tall already and the buds are still a week or two away from blooming. I must put something around them or they will all be flopped on the ground. We've had an awful lot of high winds also.

jc - my first thought on that bloom of 'Heirloom' was that it looked like 'Evening in Paris' but if I remember you bought Heirloom as a body bag? Usually you don't get that new of rose in body bags but in my opinion it's a keeper no matter what it is! Oh and love your Boscobel.

Stephanie - I have a bud right now on my Compassion cutting that I just planted out before this wicked weather. I hope it makes it. Yours is gorgeous!

Sara ann - My Lavender Lassie cutting made it through the winter and I hope grows up to look like yours!

Keep the pictures coming!

• pippacovalent
    3 years ago

Kristine this will be my second year with Distant Drums...I loved it so much I already have a second one I just planted.

3 years ago

Every day is full of surprises

Easy does it

At last

Julia Child

3 years ago

More thrills

Lady of Shallot

Darcey Bussel

Desdamona

3 years ago

Gruss an Aachen

Bolero

Olivia

• pippacovalent
    3 years ago

Wow Kristine!

Here is my Distant Drums in a pot. It's my second year with it and it's own root. The blue pot next to it will have Desdemona when it arrives.

• Adelaide (Z8b Canada)
    3 years ago
    last modified: 3 years ago

Not quite roses since my rose shrubs are new, but I thought I'd throw in a fresh peony photo here seeing there maybe some peony lovers here... Some of my buds have had some pest damage this year but some survived

Now patiently waiting to see if my roses will give me blooms this year :)

• oursteelers 8B PNW
    3 years ago

Oh I hope, I hope, I hope my Bolero looks like yours Kristine. So pretty.

And Pippa, just one more reason for me to get Distant Drums!

• oursteelers 8B PNW
    3 years ago

Adelaide your peony is gorgeous! Do you know the name of it?

• jc_7a_MiddleTN
    3 years ago

lkayte that’s some memory you’ve got!

yes, it was a body bag I planted for sure. Even if it wasn’t heirloom the only other ones I would have put there were lavender crush or meredith.

i thought it would blow fast but it’s still hanging on today. I like it.

• sara_ann-z6bok
    3 years ago

Enjoying everyone’s pictures! Pippacovalent, you have some beauties!

So good to see your beautiful roses Kristine! They all look great! I’m definitely going to put Bolero on my list!

My OUT OF ROSENHEIM began blooming, this is the first time I haven’t seen that orange cast in the blooms, I think these are the prettiest I’ve had so far.

This is my newer POSEIDON, third season, it’s about 4.5 feet, the other one is 7 feet tall, it’s in the background.

• Adelaide (Z8b Canada)
    3 years ago

@oursteelers 8B PNW Thank you! I want to say they are Felix supreme? It was just a big box store find, but extremely healthy and prolific (it has been transplanted from my parent's old house and survived!) and is now crowding my Festiva Maxima (yet to bloom) next to it

• jc_7a_MiddleTN
    3 years ago

merlena, more pictures of that out of rosenheim please! Wow i need that one for sure

3 years ago

Merlena, Out of Rosenheim has been one of my favorites and fortunately it has always been a true red with the prettiest leaves.

Everyone should have a Bolero. That sucker blooms all the time, stays petite so it fits in a small space or a pot.

I am seriously so excited to see what everyone is growing.

Good luck on a very bloomy bug and critter season.

• sara_ann-z6bok
    3 years ago

jc, I hope I can get some good pictures of OOR, so far it hasn’t been a huge bloomer for me, but I hope that changes, I’m sure Kristine and others can come through with some good pictures too! I’m also looking forward to seeing what everyone is growing. I’m very excited about my new Twilight Zone, it has lots of buds, also Summer ROMANCE and INGRID BERGMAN will be blooming soon, but it’s so cold right now not many new blooms are going to be opening at least for a couple of days! It sure doesn’t seem like May 11th!

Here‘s a better picture of LAVENDER LASSIE.

• jc_7a_MiddleTN
    3 years ago

I can’t remember now but have i read that Ingrid Bergman is your favorite red?

now that I’m more experienced I’m wanting to try more of the red hybrid teas.

oklahoma and crimson glory are my favorites so far.

• pippacovalent
    3 years ago

Oh my goodness you guys...look what just bloomed! It's my new baby Love Song.

• sara_ann-z6bok
    3 years ago

That’s a flawlessly beautiful bloom of Love Song, pippacovalent!

jc, I think I’ve probably mentioned that I think IB is the most beautiful red, but I haven’t grown it for a long time, it could become my favorite, I’m not sure. I also planted Papa Meilland and Crimson Glory.

Here’s my red Hybrid Tea/Grandiflora roses that have bloomed so far, I guess I love them all! Firefighter is definitely the most fragrant! Liebeszauber and Dark Desire are the most dependable.

LIEBESZAUBER

DARK DESIRE

ROYAL WILLIAM

FIREFIGHTER

3 years ago

Merlena, holy moly what a group of glorious reds. I really love Lieberzauber .

Pippa, congratulations on your new baby. Whoo hoo, what a fabulous color.

• rosecanadian
    3 years ago

Totoro - your peonies look wonderful...so strong and healthy! Can't wait for the blooms!!! Peony blooms are incredible!

jjpeace - I don't think the snow will kill your roses' new growth...at least I don't think it will. Let us know how they handled it.

jc - ooooh!! I love your Boscobel!! The color and shape...what's not to love. :)

ilkay - oh darn...sounds like you're having a crappy spring too. I hope our summer will make up for it.

Kristine - your Julia Child is a bloom machine!!! And the color and blooms....wowza!!! I really love your Lady of Shallot! And man, you have lots of buds! Your Bolero is such a wonderful little bush...the flowers really stand out! Olivia is looking good!

Pippa - DD looks healthy and raring to go! Oooooh!!! I love your Love Song!!! It's exquisite!!

Adelaide - I love the bud that's just opening....it's such a lovely stage of development! Love it!!!

Merlena - Ooooh!!! Yes! I agree...your OOR looks amazing!!! The color is Wunderbar!! Oh yes!!!!! Your LL is happening!!! :) Oh for goodness sakes!!! You take glorious pictures of reds...your Lieb and DD are amazeballs (can't remember who started that expression...but I love it!). There are no words for the beauty of those 2!

So I had 11 new roses come today...but it was 4C/39F with wind...what a terrible day...and overcast to boot. I hate this spring. Thank heavens my hubby is taking care of bringing them in and out...or they would have zero new growth.

I got

- Fragrant Plum

- Queen of Elegance

- Pink Peace

- Chrysler Imperial

- Sedona

- Julia Child

- White Licorice

- Life of the Party

- Lady Emma Hamilton

- Firefighter

- Neil Diamond

So exciting!!

• totoro z7b Md
    3 years ago

Eden finally opened. I think this year is her best show ever. Previously only scattered blooms. She is 5 years old. The wisteria that shaded her died over the winter and we had a mild winter too.

• totoro z7b Md
    3 years ago

I think we need a new spring thread. I cannot load the most recent comments in Houzz and that was the way I could upload a photo. I have not been able to upload directly from Chrome browser on my android phone.

Anyone have suggestions on what works other than Houzz on an android phone?

• jjpeace (zone 5b Canada)
    3 years ago

Beautiful pics of all your little slice of heaven. Keep them rolling in. It helps cold climate gardeners like me inspired.

3 years ago

Carol, you got some really great roses. My 1 year old Plum perfect is blooming her sweet little head off. At first I wasn't sure about her color but it is so rich and saturated that it is really growing on me. It also has such lovely foliage.

Ooohh you also got Neil Diamond. Some day maybe I will find him a spot.

Today I am supposed to receive Peach Swirl. I haven't even gotten around to preparing her space and now it is raining.

We have a conference pertaining to the adoption. Personally I love staying home and doing court business in my own home with Azalea napping. I don't have to try to keep her quiet and entertained for 30 minutes. Yay for conferences.

• jc_7a_MiddleTN
    3 years ago

More Boscobel for Carol:

These blooms are lasting a very long time. Maybe it’s because of the mostly cool weather.

Heritage doesn’t get mentioned often, but I’m really liking it a lot. This is the second day this bloom has been open.

• Dillybeansown (6b in the Ozarks)
    3 years ago

Sooo many beautiful roses!! Wow! I am loving being able to enjoy seeing all of the lovelies in your gardens. :) thank you all so much for sharing! mine aren't quite ready to perform for me yet, so I’m having to content myself with the clematis, irises, etc. lol

3 years ago

Dilly, how are you feeling? Are you able to get any rest ? How is the baby ?

• rosecanadian
    3 years ago

Yes, Dilly...how are you doing? I can't remember (sorry) what your baby's name is. Can you remind me?

Kristine - your Azalea is sooooo cute!!! What a sweetheart! I could just give her a big hug!!! Oh, I wasn't sure about Fragrant Plum...I'm so happy that you mentioned that you have it...and that it's a bloom machine for you!! Yes!!! Score!!! Oh, darn...I just went back up and looked...and you said Plum Perfect. Dang. Did you get the name wrong...or were you responding to Carol from Portland? Yes...I got Neil Diamond to replace the one that died over winter. I'm so glad I could get it again.

JC - thank you for the Boscobel pictures! That is a really stunning rose!! It's extra special...so thank you so much for the beauty you've posted!! Ooooh!!! I also really love your Heritage! That's a fabulous picture!!

Well, the cold spell is over...we're getting up to 16C/61F!!! Finally a warm day! Roses still can't stay out at night...but at least they get some sun!

I'm still looking for a couple of pots. Good luck to all of you who are still looking. :)

• sara_ann-z6bok
    3 years ago

Kristine, i love seeing that sweet picture of Azalea, she’s adorable!

My Liebeszauber has been producing some huge blooms this year, I think the biggest ever.

jc, your Boscobel and Heritage are gorgeous!

Carol, I look forward to seeing all of your roses In bloom!

Dillybeans, I’ve also been wondering how you and your baby are doing, hoping all Is well for you and your family.

I’m ready for the weather to warm up here, is supposed to today.

Loving QUIETNESS

3 years ago

Merlena your Quietness is stellar. Mine has a ton of .buds. It is finally settling in after being moved twice.

Carol, you are right, I have Plum perfect. Geeze. all of these names with plum and lavender are so confusing to my old brain .

We were supposed to have rain for the last 3 days and not a drop but it cooled back down from 90 to 55 and cloudy so perfect for planting.

I have a few seed starts to get in to the ground , atleast the ones that the dang dogs didn't make a salad bar out of, and a rose coming today from Edmonds.

My husband bought a new truck yesterday so any of my pitiful flower orders are pretty much going unnoticed in the bigger scheme of things . Lol I am pretty much golden.

Blue for you

Plum perfect

Charles Renne Macintosh

Violets pride

Can you tell that I was on a lavender kick this year?

• sara_ann-z6bok
    3 years ago

Kristine, those blooms are gorgeous! I really do love that Plum Perfect! I hope my Violet’s Pride is the color of yours, it’s lovely! Are those lavenders all new? I think it’s okay to be on a lavender kick, I love lavender roses!

I had to bring in some Poseidon blooms last evening, they’re lightly fragrant.

I took this bush shot of Poseidon this afternoon, I guess it’s my pride and joy right now!

• ingrid_vc so. CA zone 9
    3 years ago

Kristine, your beautiful Plum Perfect is making me feel better about mine because I can now see what it might be in the future. I also love your Violet's Pride. You're not the only one with a weakness for lavender roses. Sara Ann, your Poseidon is gorgeous!

3 years ago

I still have Quicksilver and love song to bloom , but I am really pleased Plum Perfect. Ingrid, I bet that your Plum Perfect will be a Plum Perfect rose.

Merlena, I planted Plum Perfect last fall along with Violets Pride, Quicksilver and Distant Drums.

This year I added Love Song

3 years ago

Apologies for only popping in occasionally!

Kristine, thank you for the kind concern! I’m feeling really well. Everything went very smoothly and the recovery has been great. :) I rest when I can. Haha :) Baby is as sweet as can be!

Azalea looks like an absolute doll. Thanks for sharing that picture! What a sweetheart

Rosecanadian, her name is Lucy. :) No apologies needed! We are all doing so well! Thank you. My husband is working from home right now, so that’s has been huge blessing.

3 years ago

I can’t tell you all how much I enjoy stalking your roses, even if I don’t post much! That Poseidon is ethereal! I never used to like lavender roses, but you people have completely converted me. Sara-Ann, I have some baby Quietness roses. I hope they turn out like yours!

My roses are being held at bay by a wave of cold, wet weather. Trying not to wish for it to become warmer, because I know that once warm weather comes, it will come with a vengeance. Meanwhile:

• sara_ann-z6bok
    3 years ago

Dillybeans, Lucy looks like a little Angel! I’m glad everything is good. Your flowers are lovely, love the clematis especially!

Thank you, Ingrid.

Kristine, my Quicksilver has been blooming, but the blooms aren’t as pretty as they were last year, but I’m sure they will improve. I was totally in awe of them last year! I have 3 Love Songs, I hope between the three at least one will do good!

3 years ago

Dilly, oh, my goodness! Lucy is absolutely beautiful! What pretty coloring she has.

So glad that you popped in to show off your beauties including the prettiest of all Lucy.

Glad that all is well.

• rosecanadian
    3 years ago

Thanks, Merlena!! From your lips to God's ears...come on blooms! :) Your Quietness has a quiet beauty...very restful. :)

Kristine - I laughed when I read your comment about the danged dogs and the seeds. Dogs...we love them, but whoo boy! And too funny...your roses are "mice nuts" in the shadow of his new truck!! Love it! Oooooh!!! Your lavender roses are sooo pretty!!! I think that Charles is my favorite!

Merlena - oh wowza!!! Your Poseiden bush is glorious!!! What a fabulous bush shot! And the flowers...love, love!!!

Dilly - Oh!! Lucy is a sweet rose!!! She has a beautiful face and lovely little fingers!! Yes, it must be wonderful to have your husband home for this precious time. Lovely flowers!! Especially the irises!

Hubby and I went to a UFA feed store and got 3 big bags of alfalfa pellets! The weird thing is that my Barbra Streisand is the only rose I had that had a good foot and a half of cane that was left alive and green after the GGDO. It has done nothing for 2 months!!! Nothing! So I flung a bunch of alfalfa pellets on (as well as on my other roses)...come on Babs...get going! I have a question about alfalfa pellets...it's okay, isn't it to put them on bareroot roses? The pellets aren't in contact with the roots. Thoughts?

We had a glorious, warm day of 15C/59F!!!!! The sun was shining...the roses went outside after a few days of being left in the garage. Life is good!

• jc_7a_MiddleTN
    3 years ago

I’ve dumped way more than the recommended amount of alfalfa pellets/tea onto newer bare roots several times and it has never caused any harm.

its hard for me to tell if that’s what making them grow or if they are just ready to get started!

• Lilyfinch z9a Murrieta Ca
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Per request: new thread here !!!

So many gorgeous pics on this one especially that sparkling new baby ! ♥️

https://www.gardenweb.com/discussions/5916680/spring-new-beginnings-part-4

• rosecanadian
    3 years ago

Thanks, jc!!! Good to know!! :)