SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
webuser_163966134

Roof Design for new Screened Porch

HU-163966134
4 years ago

We can't be the first people with this problem... but for the life of me I cannot find a logical solution!

So I have a 60's brick ranch. Sometime in the 70's, an addition was put on the back to give us the lovely L shape with a deck on the inside corner. See below for image. For reference, the green is our front yard. Existing deck has been sketched in yellow.

Our deck is in desperate need to replacing and I would love nothing more than to expand it and screen it in. The problem is figuring out how to tie in the roof? I do NOT want to create a gable-to-gable situation with a huge valley with inevitable drainage issues.

We want to walk straight into the screened porch, if at all possible (note the door in on the inside corner). To complicate matters a bit more, we would love to have the exposed rafter gable-style looking out into our backyard. So that would rule out a large shed roof. Plus, the pitch would prevent it from being shingled anyways... I guess standing metal seam is still an option.

I have thought long and hard about this and come up with a possible solution. Would love any feedback. Specifically, am I crazy? Will this be one of those weird additions that detracts from the value of the home? Do you have any other suggestions for how to design a screened porch in this area? Do I just sacrifice our desires and go with a low-slope shed roof?

Here's the proposed design:

Summary: Gable roof built over a 16x16 screened porch. A screened in "hallway" connects the screened porch to the door and is covered with a smaller shed roof (metal roof may still be required here due to slope). Stairs and upper landing are all exposed to the elements.

Thanks in advance for your feedback!

Comments (7)