SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
barplants123

Unwrapped fig early, buds froze=no fruit? older branches no insulation

hi, zone 6-7 new jersey.

We've had a fig tree in a rather shady spot for about like 8 years. I think it's a brown turkey fig. We never insulated it. I don't think it was even mulched.

Often after Winter, the branches would be all white and killed by frost, so in Spring we cut all the branches down to the stump and by the end of Summer it grows back many 6ft branches and does still produce plenty of fruit. But often some/most of the fruit gets cold-damaged just a couple weeks before it's ripe and is lost.

Lats year was the first time I insulated it (so that the branches don't die and thus the tree doesn't have to waste all that time and energy producing new branches , it should hopefully fruit and ripen faster this year). I really insulated the heck out of it, because it was easier this way too, I tied the thin 1-year 6ft branches all together, stuffed the center with leaves, then stacked full leaf bags all around it and put a garbage pail lid on the top so the branches wouldn't poke through the tarp, tied a tarp around it and laid wood along bottom of tarp so wind wouldn't blow up it.

This mid March I unwrapped it. There were some very warm days and I thought Spring was here, so I unwrapped it because I read if it gets too warm in the tarp (esp a dark colored blue tarp not a grey/white tarp sun doesn't hit as hard) that it'll cause heat and fungus inside. I did have the tarp able to open and air it out I did a few times but have to make sure close it before rains or gets too cold, so anyway I just figured it was warm enough and unwrapped it. BTW it was much more moist inside than I expected, I know I made a good rainproof envelope with the tarp but there was more moisture inside than I thought, a few branches were a bit fuzzy like mold but it cleared up a week later.

Question: I think I heard along the way that if you unwrap it too soon, and it freezes the buds that those buds won't produce that year. True? It already had new buds starting to green and leaf out when I unwrapped it, then it got cold couple weeks later, the buds turned hard and brown, then it re grew them a second time from same locations and again they turned brown and hard.

Also this is new to me, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ESRcQOsH_oU

This is in Switzerland said -18 degree weather, a lot colder than New Jersey. Must be a very cold tolerant fig species, but he says the older mature wood becomes much more cold tolerant, and so I don't think they even insulate it. I have seen HUGE fig trees in videos in areas colder than New Jersey too ( Massachusetts I think) that obviously weren't insulated either. But he says most of the fruit and the faster growing fruit is from the young 1-year branches coming off the thicker older ones. He cuts them in video and shows they're still green and alive which is baffling to me they're alive in Switzerland. Brown Turkey is cold hardy but maybe his type is that much more?

IOW, depending on the species and climate, you can insulate it for a few years so it grows like an actual tree not a bush, then it gets thicker and you don't have to even insulate it? And somehow the young heavily producing branches also don't freeze?

I don't mind insulating it but would much rather an decent sized actual tree, plus am giving some away I air layered and will suggest they planted in space that might end up an actual tree rather than shrub (which still produces a ton of fruit for a small shrub but the more the merrier.

Comments (3)

Sponsored