SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
patty_sonnenschein

simply white, Acadia white or white dove

I need to pick ASAP. Worried simply white too bright with 92 LRV. White dove too grey and Acadia BM 925 too creamy antique. Have transitional home that’s very open . Kitchen has north facing window with attached dinnette area also with north window. The family room that is off of dinette area has a southwest exposure . I know articles discuss taking your exposure into consideration...Never sure what my true exposure is since the house is open . I have samples and still am unsure

Comments (39)

• patty sonnenschein
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Sorry! My cabinets. Floor is dark brown wood. Trim including doors and columns are a bright white( don’t plan to repaint).

• Related Discussions

White Dove vs Cloud White vs Simply White

Q

Comments (4)
    I painted my cabinets last summer, my house faces south, so I get lots of sun too. I got samples of White Dove and 3 others that I cannot recall (probably what you mentioned or close). I did not like White Dove on the swatch at all, but I kept an open mind. I painted all 4 on poster boards and looked at them for a few days and did a process of elimination. White Dove won! I LOVE the way my cabinets look.....white without being stark, but no undertones. I used Cabinet Coat paint from BM and they tinted it White Dove for me. Hope that helps....
    ...See More

Need Benjamin Moore paint color between Simply White and White Dove

Q

Comments (6)
    I wonder what she ended up using. I have Simply White kitchen cabinets and I love the white. I’m getting ready to paint the walls in the front of the house (open concept) which is Revere Pewter right now. I love the color but it’s time for a glow up 😀to brighten the space. I’m wondering if going with Simply White on the walls as well as my cabinets will be a mistake. After the Revere Pewter tone for several years I just need some brightness.
    ...See More

Simply white (BM) or white dove(BM) for kitchen cabinets

Q

Comments (11)
    You can’t go wrong with either Simply White or White Dove for kitchen cabinets. Both look great with dark countertops and gold accents. Some of my favorite projects have been Simply White, especially with dark countertops. But if you are feeling stuck or need more ideas for white kitchen cabinets and how to pair them with countertops, we’ve written posts on both to help you decide.
    ...See More

Exterior white paint - Simply White, Cloud White, White Dove?

Q

Comments (3)
    See this thread and links: Looking for a crisp, white paint color for the exterior of my home. (houzz.com) Also here: A few more links to possibly help, although they might not include your two choices. So many nice whites. Simply White is a good one, too. https://myoldcountryhouse.com/the-white-house-great-exterior-whites/ https://lifeonvirginiastreet.com/2018/04/the-best-exterior-white-paint-colors/ https://www.gardenista.com/posts/10-easy-pieces-architects-white-exterior-paint-picks/
    ...See More
  • PRO
    Beth H. :
    4 years ago
    last modified: 4 years ago

Ok. kitchen cabinets. I used a shade brighter than Simply White (they converted it to lacquer) when I had mine sprayed.

The light through that sink window is a covered patio entry. (and it's north facing). above in the picture that light is coming through a side door. So, not a ton of light. This white is perfect.

• patty sonnenschein
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Will paint walls a warm gray. Was looking at revere pewter, repose Gray, griege, edgecomb Gray,agreeable gray . Have Loved some colors in one room but then gets washed out in south facing room.my open floor plan makes sticking to one color the easiest( I think )

• PRO
    Beth H. :
    4 years ago

If it helps, here is a pic showing the connecting room. I also did Simply White on the walls and all of the crown/baseboard, window trim. (semi gloss for that, eggshell on walls)

Does this help?

I painted these walls White Dove first, and then realized how dingy it looked. So I completely repainted w/the Simply White. It's a beautiful shade of white without having yellow tones or that too Bright of white tone.

next to Light Pewter in the pantry area. you can see how nice it looks next to the gray walls

• PRO
    Beth H. :
    4 years ago

What are your countertops? what does the style look like? any pictures?

for cabinets, here is

Oxford White

Cloud White

and Alabaster (notice the diff between natural light on the right, and regular lighting on the left side)

Alabaster is SW's match to White dove.

• patty sonnenschein
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Mine will be Ilva lacquer but I can select Any color to match. When u say a shade brighter what do u mean? The 92 LRV of simply white had me concerned I would need sunglasses 😀 . Painter suggested chantilly lace. I believe way too stark. Want warmth but not antique white or too creamy. My friend used BM 925 ivory also called Acadia . In her house it shows as a very calm relaxing white

• patty sonnenschein
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Thx. Not fan of alabaster so probably should avoid. The reviews are off the chart this I kept considering

• patty sonnenschein
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Avoid white dove^

• patty sonnenschein
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Counters tbd

• PRO
    Beth H. :
    4 years ago

when I asked them to do Simply white, they painted a sample w/it and it wasn't a match for the sample I gave them! I painted a piece of wood in simply white and gave it to them. said I wanted my paint color to be exact to it. So when they did their sample of the lacquer, it wasn't quite the same shade, so they upped it a notch.

It's not a blinding white. Chantilly Lace is a very cool white. (almost a minty white)

Simply White is considered a warm neutral. But you won't see any yellow in it, which is what I wanted. Did you see the pics I posted? does it seem too bright white?

• patty sonnenschein
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Thx! Chantilly lace out. Re your house pics- very pretty! Not sure if I want a tad less bright.

• PRO
    Beth H. :
    4 years ago

I haven't heard of Acadia being a common white used, so I looked it up and here's a few

it's obviously a warmer, creamy white. That's fine. but if you're going to pick a white countertop or a white subway tile, then the cabinets will look dingy in comparison.

Why don't you just grab a few samples and paint a few of doors with them?

• patty sonnenschein
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Thx! That is what I will do!

• patty sonnenschein
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Very kind of you to help

• PRO
    Beth H. :
    4 years ago

countertop tbd? what are you leaning toward? what is the style of the cabinets? the layout?

do you know what kind of tile splash you want?

• patty sonnenschein
    Original Author
    4 years ago

They are traditional . Crown molding and top has rope trim. Would take pics but they are being primed. L shape with stainless appliances

• patty sonnenschein
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Floors have been stained antique brown. A beautiful warm true blond that shows dark grain

• PRO
    Beth H. :
    4 years ago

So here's White Dove, which of these 5, is prob the brightest white.

SW Shoji White (a creamy white)

SW Creamy. (and Willow) LRV 81%

SW Panda White (LRV 77)

Grand Teton White (LRV 77.4)

• patty sonnenschein
    Original Author
    4 years ago

I liked both cool and warm counters so I am waiting until I decide on cabinets.

• patty sonnenschein
    Original Author
    4 years ago

True brown!

• patty sonnenschein
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Floors are no longer this yellow color!

• PRO
    Beth H. :
    4 years ago

I had similar style cabs. I had them remove all of the rope trim and the fluted trim. (all along the crown, the sides above the stove, all around the island,,,,couldn't take it anymore!)

So, if you really want to update, have them remove all of it. It's not that difficult for them to do

(I also moved my micro under the wall oven and had a custom hood vent made. Don't know if you're doing any of that.

• PRO
    Beth H. :
    4 years ago

Make sure they fill in all of you holes so you can get new hardware. something larger would be more appropriate for the handles (by larger I mean a bit longer. you have tall doors that can take something a bit bigger. That will mean new holes)

I also like the upper w/the glass

I would do without the rope trim

have you thought about evening out the cabinets and filling in the top portion?

you could do a taller crown like shown above, or like these below, do add on boxes w/glass

similar before and afters

This one is Chantilly Lace

• patty sonnenschein
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Thx!!!!! Yes planning to have whole filled in and do all new handles. Similar to your style:-). Silver family. Saw polished nickel faucet. Not sure if faucets need to match hardware

• patty sonnenschein
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Budget doesn’t allow new construction . Will need furniture updates once the kitchen done!

• PRO
    Beth H. :
    4 years ago

Patty, it's not new construction. it's simple building of boxes or a higher crown molding. If you're painting, now is the time to do everything. But, if you have to pick the boxes or moving the micro, I'd move the micro.

As for the rope trim, it's easy to remove. (the painter guys can do it when they prep) . it's held on my a small nail.

You could easily move your micro to the drawers below the oven like I had done. I had that opening in the island converted to the drawers to replace what I lost. much bigger too.

I had the 3 drawers like you do. they removed two of them and made a larger opening to fit the new micro. (GE Profile 1.5 cub.) you can see it right in back of the steps on the ladder.

then you could do a nice vent hood.

The cabinet painting people I had to do this did it all. They did beautiful prepping/priming and spraying of the cabs, plus they had a carpenter who did the modifications.

Do you have a good company? Did you ask them what their steps are for painting?

if you don't want a custom vent hood, then switch to something like this.

You have a large kitchen. the micro could probably be switched to a built-in version and put some place else without any trouble. A micro for venting is probably the absolute least that you can do. plus, my micro got so damn greasy from sitting above the stove for all those years it was just gross. there is no way to clean the vent portion.

I realize it's a bit more money to do this (maybe another 2.6 K if you go w/the new vent ($850) and a custom built piece around it.) The Profile micro is about $650.

the other option is to move the micro somewhere over here. Build it in the lower portion somewhere, Mount a smaller one from under the cabinets, or do a smaller one and place it on the countertop.

• patty sonnenschein
    Original Author
    4 years ago

What color is your granite or marble on island?

• PRO
    Beth H. :
    4 years ago

patty, my island stone is Calacatta marble. from Antolini. It has a factory applied sealant on it so that it won't stain or etch. (azerocare)

the other countertop is Silestone Eternal Serena in a matte finish.

• qofmiwok
    2 years ago

I have Acadia White in my Hawaii house and it's gorgeous. Everyone comments how they hate white walls but they like mine and I think it's because of the subtle warmth which looks white if you're not comparing it to a white white. I did put Simply White on the ceiling because it's low, and they go together nicely.

• teddas
    2 years ago

oh please tell me more about your acadia white. I have it as my trim and cant find a color for the walls that doesnt make it appear yellow/ivory. What did you do for trim?

• teddas
    2 years ago

oh please tell me more about your acadia white. I have it as my trim and cant find a color for the walls that doesnt make it appear yellow/ivory. What did you do for trim?

• Frankie Doodle
    last year

waiting for pics of the finish;)

• qofmiwok
    last year

This thread popped up again and I feel the need to comment. I said above that Acadia White is great in my house in Hawaii. It's a nice warm white. I tried the same color in my house in Idaho and it was VERY yellow. Looked completely different. In fact, Simply White in Idaho looks like Acadia White in Hawaii. Then I learned that the further you go from the equator, the more yellow is in the light. Very illuminating! In Idaho we went with Simply White everywhere, walls, ceilings and trim.

• Priya Kesavan
    9 months ago

I don't know if I got the wrong color. BM Acadia white in my house looks very green especially in yellow light!

• qofmiwok
    9 months ago
    last modified: 9 months ago

@Priya You just have to test. Acadia looks great in my Hawaii house and terrible in my Idaho house because Northern light is more yellow than at the equator. (I had to switch to Simply White in Idaho, which looks like Acadia in Hawaii.) When I needed a "white" for the exterior of my recent house I tested at least 10 colors to come up with the right one. Remember you really don't want a white outside because colors look way lighter outside. A white will be blinding. I ended up using BM Ancient Oak 940 which is is pretty close to the "almond" metal soffits, and on the house it looks white most of the time, at sunset caan look slightly yellow.

• Priya Kesavan
    9 months ago

I'm just painting whole rooms to observe before I make up my mind. These colors look nothing like the pictures or the descriptions in your home.  Now I realize that colors are not absolute but relative to the color scheme of the furniture, flooring and the lighting.

• Priya Kesavan
    9 months ago

For those following I just want to call out that simply white on my kitchen cabinets and trims is not the creamy white that I heard so much about. In my kitchen which is Northeast facing It is quite a pure white with a bit of blue in it. It looks great and I love it but it's not what I expected. I plan to paint all the trims and doors and ceilings in my home with simply right. I don't know if my local Benjamin Moore is not mixing the colors right. Or most probably because of the colors around it. I am dropping Arcadia white as a potential wall color due to the green tingine experiencing and now looking at Benjamin Moore pale oak and strand of Pearl.

• Priya Kesavan
    9 months ago

Observe how simply white looks so different on the top cabinet and bottom cabinet due to the morning sunlight