Along the lines of Nycefarm’s retirement thread
6 years ago
Featured Answer
Sort by:Oldest
Comments (10)
Related Discussions
Retired Racing Greyhounds
Comments (69)Willow is so beautiful!! saltidawg, just a note that after years of living in big kennels with lots of handlers and greys around, greyhounds can get lonely by themselves in a room. If she's still minding the crate you could try putting a radio in with her, putting the TV on or putting her in with you at night :) I used to volunteer for a grey rescue up here in Nova Scotia. Here's a picture of my parents' two greyhounds Frank and Molly. Molly has since passed away. Grey hounds are like pringles, it's hard to stop at just one! Especially since they enjoy each others' company so much :) Frank enjoying his in ground pool Frank getting not only a bed but a comforter on top (he likes to nest) This post was edited by robotropolis on Thu, Nov 20, 14 at 11:51...See MoreAlong the lines of the dental thread by Sooz
Comments (19)I have my teeth cleaned every 6 to 8 months, because that's what my insurance covers. X-rays are once a year, but I push it back to every 1 1/2 years. My first dentist, when I moved here decades ago, retired when he had a health scare and I'm happy for him, but sad for me and his patients. He took his time trying to find the best person to take over his business, and he was successful! Everyone also loved the new dentist--but the new dentist lived an hour away and just had twins and his family decided to not move closer. He didn't last long because of the travel time (longer than an hour when there's traffic, and there always seemed to be traffic), so he sold the practice to this other dentist. And now we get to the other dentist. I have really good insurance...REALLY GOOD insurance, and I got the idea that they saw dollar signs every time I walked in there! Oh, he said, I needed this or that done, and I politely declined. Then he had his office staff try to pull a fast one and someone called me to schedule that procedure we talked about doing. I set them straight and said I had NOT talked about getting this done, and was going to wait on it, as I had said the last time I was there. About two months later, another office staff person called and said she was following up about when I wanted to schedule that procedure! I told her that she was mistaken, and at that point, I decided to get a new dentist. I'm pretty happy with my new dentist--I've had him for about 2 years, and the office staff people and dental hygienists are also very kind!...See MoreDH's Retirement Party: I Need Advice (& Hand-holding)
Comments (55)By the time you read this, I hope you will have had a wonderful experience, filled with friends, colleagues and best wishes for a wonderful retirement!...See MoreHelp with Retirement home plans, please!
Comments (62)Thank you ever so much, Felix. I am sure that BIL will all of your and everyone’s suggestions this week. Felix, you have gone way beyond he norm in providing ideas, schematics etc and it is throughly appreciated. My computer skills consist of ‘googling‘, I am sure you have spent considerable time and effort in doing these drawings. Hopefully, others will benefit from this as well. May I ask your background, and out of simple curiosity, approximately where are you located? I am at a loss for words at the generosity of folks on this thread and in fact on this forum itself. I have followed and commented on this forum for a few years now and am always awestruck by the collective wisdom and kindness of home building “forumites.” Many of you have an awesome sense of humour as well, which is sorely needed and welcome in these difficult times. Sincerely, thank you! Paula...See More- 6 years agolast modified: 6 years ago
Related Stories

LIFEData Watch: What’s Great, and What’s Not, About a Smaller Home
Houzz asked more than 200 U.S. homeowners about life in 1,000 square feet or less. Here’s what they said
Full Story
MODERN ARCHITECTURETour a Celebrated Modernist Landscape Architect’s Final Project
See the art-inspired design, showcased at Palm Springs Modernism Week, that pulled Robert Royston out of retirement
Full Story
LIFEWhat I Learned About Moving a Loved One to a Retirement Home
Setting up an elderly family member’s apartment in an assisted-care facility is a labor of love for this Houzz writer
Full Story
HOUZZ TOURSHouzz Tour: An 1850s Ancestral Home in Texas Rises Again
See how exacting research and meticulous renovations gave a retired couple their dream home on a regained family plantation
Full Story
KITCHEN DESIGNA Cook’s 6 Tips for Buying Kitchen Appliances
An avid home chef answers tricky questions about choosing the right oven, stovetop, vent hood and more
Full Story
EXTERIORSWhere Front Yards Collide: Property Lines in Pictures
Some could be twins; others channel the Odd Couple. You may never look at property boundaries the same way again
Full Story
TRADITIONAL STYLEDecorating With Antiques: Silver’s Legacy
Learn how to tell sterling from plate, ways to display pieces and why silver is so darn special to begin with
Full Story
LIFEOh Yeah, There’s a Snake in the House
A Houzz contributor lives through her worst nightmare and comes out the other side with lessons learned and new footwear
Full Story
TASTEMAKERSTake a Behind-the-Scenes Tour of Netflix’s ‘Grace and Frankie’
Set decorator Beauchamp Fontaine explains the design decisions behind the home sets featured in the new Netflix series
Full Story
MODERN ARCHITECTUREHouzz TV: This Amazing Lake House Made a Couple’s Dream Come True
Step inside a dream home on Lake Austin, where architecture celebrating gorgeous views has a striking beauty of its own
Full Story
User