SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
elizabethjdunbar

Exterior Paint Color Suggestions for Schizo-80s Contemporary!

elizabethjdunbar
4 years ago
last modified: 4 years ago

Hi all, I posted a pic 3 years ago when we first bought the house--after lots of inside work, we are finally ready to paint the outside. While I appreciate the suggestions from way-back-when, we've changed our strategy and now want to paint the whole house, including the variegated brick. I am leaning toward a very dark gray/charcoal for everything but the stone-clad pillars in front, but my husband thinks I'm nuts. And while not in the budget now, I'd love to replace the wood siding and clad the columns with ipe (or we could; just not the back of the house since it's 3 floors and entirely wood siding and windows). And, yes, the front doors and light fixtures have to go well. The giant brown roof, however, must remain, for the foreseeable future. The brown/bronze window trim and gutters are ok so could remain and tie into the roof color.

Am I crazy? My husband swears it will look terrible to have a black & brown behemoth on our street! We've driven around several neighborhoods to scout colors--nothing like it around us. But I love contemporary and our entire interior is very organic mod/contemporary--gray stone, natural wood, clean lines--and I think the outside should reflect it. Once we get the painting done, time to address the landscaping which is equally schizo/hodepodge!

All ideas and suggestions welcome! Thank you for looking and commenting! The first photo is the oldest and I can't seem to remove it!

Comments (19)