SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
tealou

Looking for a WOW front door color

tealou
4 years ago

Want to brighten up our home by painting existing front door with a lively new color. Storm door will be removed, and if replaced, would use a full glass type of storm door. House faces west/northwest and gets alot of late sun (in our Alaskan summer anyway). Aiming for a boost in curb appeal as hope to list home for sale next year. Snowy picture is most current of front door, also attached some pics from past summer to give a "feel" for our home. Was thinking bright yellow or purple pink or soft blue - open to all suggestions. Thanks!

Comments (30)

• PRO
    Hamda
    4 years ago

Beautiful home!
    I’d go for white or off-white and decorate the space with colorful pots and beautiful flowers to make the space glow!!

tealou thanked Hamda
  • Related Discussions

Front Door Colors!!! Pinboard of Lots of Doors and Colors

Q

Comments (4)
    Fun to look at... thanks for posting There was an interior front door pic too and just today that thought crossed my mind for my foyer. That pic nailed it. I'm on it!!
    ...See More

Looking for a great BM Red Front Door color!

Q

Comments (17)
    My son wanted a deep red for his room two years ago--in fact that's where I got my screen name "Colorfast."= So...we found the best reds to choose from were Ralph Lauren. We had a RL color mixed into a Devine paint. Our paint store had done our favorite Red before and already had the formula for it. Yes, it's a little dicey asking for a color match, but people on the paint forum said RL is known for great colors and less-than-great paint quality. So essentially, you would not be the first. I believe we got the RL Hunter Coat red but also really loved Dressage Red (and some of the other Thoroughbred collection) and a few of the Island Brights. Note that the Paint forum advised me to do a GRAY primer over my already white-primed walls. With a white primer, your red will need coats and coats or it will look pink. Check the Paint forum. I don't know if your door is raw wood or already painted and they can tell you best.
    ...See More

Please help me choose a garage door and front door color(s)!

Q

Comments (5)
    Hi there - thank you for posting! For some added curb appeal, definitely update the color of the garage, front door and two peaks in the front. Make the peaks a fresh, bright white like PPG's Delicate White. The front door and garage door would benefit from a nice, rich navy/gray - like PPG's Silver Blueberry. Best, Meghan
    ...See More

front door Entrance style & Color for a new front door

Q

Comments (2)
    I hope the walkway planned is at least 4’ wide. With a white house, I think you could really play with a front door color. You need a landscaping plan and the plants can echo the door color.
    ...See More
  • tealou
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Hello, quick update on search for front door. We need to replace our door (probably with a Codel door product) so what style of door for the style of our home (which I believe is contemporary?). The sidelights will remain unchanged. Considering a panel door with small window in upper 1/3 of door or modern with horizontal slivers of glass. Thanks for any additional help - was not sure how to append or bump original post.

• chiflipper
    4 years ago

If you need a storm door, have it painted to match. Electrostatic paint method will eliminate any chance of rust.

tealou thanked chiflipper
  • Rebekah Gibbs
    4 years ago

Here are some renderings of bright door colors...I like the aqua the best (sherwin williams spa)

sherwin williams lilac

sherwin williams intense teal

sherwin williams classical yellow

sherwin williams center stage

tealou thanked Rebekah Gibbs
  • PRO
    Flo Mangan
    4 years ago

Can you post the exact color of your trim. Important to understand it’s Hue for best match.

• PRO
    Flo Mangan
    4 years ago

I meant best coordination of colors.

tealou thanked Flo Mangan
  • Denita
    4 years ago

You have a wonderful home!

I love the fresh apple color posted by Irene - I think it looks terrific with all of your greenery.

A couple of minor tweeks to get max curb appeal:

Is that a large tree you have by the front door in pic 2? If so, do trim the trees - they need to be limbed up (lower branches removed). Bring an arborist to your home so you have it done right the first time. Some landscapers don't know where to start and stop (talking about landscape maintenance here). If it isn't a tree, what plant is it and does it flower?

Do replace your current garage coach lights with larger ones - modern style.

Do replace your address numerals with modern style numbers in either vertical or horizontal location and not slanted from left to right.

I don't see your walkway. Put in a modern walkway that is wide - similar to this style:

Iconic Eight-Foot House - 2960 S Gilpin St, Denver, CO 80210 · More Info

tealou thanked Denita
  • PRO
    Beth H. :
    4 years ago

I like these colors

and any of these doors

tealou thanked Beth H. :
  • tealou
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Thank you all for all your input! The renderings are so helpful.

Rebekah - thank you for the sample of colors - the last one illustrates how the pretty apple green

color that Irene had suggested would look. The aqua is similar to a couple of colors I was considering -B Moore maybe - one was Wyeth blue? the other called something like Watery?

Flo- I took a pic of trim paint can (hopefully I can upload) it was SW "AS-738 Sheridan" trim. Its as if our home's colors are grayed (like when a shirt is a heathered color?) which might be my laymen's way of recognizing the hue has to be right - as you indicated.

Denita - great suggestions. The out of control tree/shrub was a lilac that had been trimmed to emphasize a tree like growth (and it broke up the expanse of the house with the vertical T11) however the limbs did not survive the weight of the blossoms or the snow in the winter. It really

needs to be removed. Love the walk idea however replacing the current plain concrete walkway is not in the budget. Do plan to swap out exterior lights and new house numbers - I would welcome your suggestions on lights.

Beth - it is so helpful to see the different doors - I liked the first one the best style wise although with the sidelights we don't really need alot of glass in the door. The 2nd/yellow one was almost exactly what I was thinking except without the mullions (?) on the glass so it would lean more contemporary.

• PRO
    Flo Mangan
    4 years ago

That is old color. Like 14 years old. I will see if I can find it in my databases tomorrow.

• jbtanyderi
    4 years ago

Paint the entire indented area (above and below the porch roof) teal/bittersweet/sage/white.

tealou thanked jbtanyderi
  • Sonja Suitor
    4 years ago

You have a great house and the comments you’re received on Houzz will boost its curb appeal. I do agree that I would paint the whole entry area, not just the door. I do a lot of landscape design consultation. The tree on the left of the walkway to the door is beautiful but it overwhelms the space. In addition, any vegetation that close to the house invites mold and creatures into the house structure. I would have it removed. That will also make the tree to right of the walkway more impressive & that’s a great tree too. The one thing that for me detracts significantly is the guttering system. The drainpipe leading from the gutter over the door is a real distraction. As I studied the larger system, it appears there is a gutter pouring upper water on that entry roof which I would object to on several levels. As a property manager, we would never direct water to a roof. Water coming down in unusual places were usually handled with a French drain directing water away from the foundation. The solution isn’t a huge one or an expensive one but will tidy up the appearance and protect the foundation significantly. P.S. Alaska is our favorite vacation place.

tealou thanked Sonja Suitor
  • plf12652
    4 years ago

Just make sure that whatever door you replace with....that it is paintable. Some factory finishes do not allow for painting.

tealou thanked plf12652
  • housegal200
    4 years ago

Big Horn Residence · More Info

tealou thanked housegal200
  • User
    4 years ago

What a pretty house! I love a red door or a navy blue door. My own house has a black door which I love and decorate with a yellow wreath.

tealou thanked User
  • decoenthusiaste
    4 years ago
    last modified: 4 years ago

Maybe if Flo finds that SW trim color you can track down some of their coordinating suggested colors and use one of them. I would think keeping it toned down would be best for resale.

tealou thanked decoenthusiaste
  • PRO
    Flo Mangan
    4 years ago

Still hunting but have some ideas. The color analysis I have done (and on screen color analysis is not a method I would normally use because it isn’t true color) is to get a fair approximation as a starting point. I think the trim color is in the neighborhood of a green/gray Hue. You can get some color chips from Sherwin Williams the verify. They might be able to match to a color in their current line. But if I am close, I believe two colors Hues can work best. A grayed purple or a yellow/grayed. Here are a couple. I prefer a color in the purple/gray myself. I think it works best with the body of your home too. Get some sample chips you like and post those and I can color analyze them. Your landscaping can repeat your front door color for added punch. A group of 3 flower pots on your porch in similar colors will integrate the color. Some flowering plant material too.

• PRO
    Flo Mangan
    4 years ago

3 different height and shaped pots overflowing with greens and purples.

• decoenthusiaste
    4 years ago
    last modified: 4 years ago

I think this will work nicely with the trim color. It is Crisp Romaine.

• PRO
    Flo Mangan
    4 years ago

WE cannot tell for sure the tone of the trim color. I think a more complimentary color is the direction you should take.

• tealou
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Another update. Thank you again for all of your previous comments/guidance. We are slow to make decisions. However we are leaning toward the 3 panel glass modern door that Beth H. had shown in a previous rendering. The door manufacturer Codel will paint the door so asking for some input as to color selection. The colors I am narrowing in on are artichoke, denim, ballard or magnolia. The first two seem to have the gray tone/hue similar to the trim color of the house. Hopefully I have attached the Codel color sheet and another brighter picture of trim color. Thank you in advance for any additional input.

• tealou
    Original Author
    3 years ago

We finally had our new front door installed, along with new lights and house numbers. Wanted to share a couple of photos and thank everyone again for all of the helpful comments. The door is not yet painted but we have decided to keep it the white as it seems to go with the colors of the house. Plus probably best for resale value.

• PRO
    Beth H. :
    3 years ago

looks great! I like the lights and numbers too. nice work!

tealou thanked Beth H. :
  • PRO
    Flo Mangan
    3 years ago

Looking good. Are you going to paint the door?

• PRO
    Beth H. :
    3 years ago

Flo....

The door is not yet painted but we have decided to keep it the white as it seems to go with the colors of the house. Plus probably best for resale value. "

tealou thanked Beth H. :
  • Mrs Pete
    3 years ago

I can't believe it took so long for someone to show a RED door.

Red is the best color. It just is. Red would look great with all that gray. The door would stand out /would draw the eye in.

Once the door is red, then you need a red mailbox (or maybe just a touch of red on your mailbox) and some red flowers (perhaps mixed with other colors because a little red goes a long way).

tealou thanked Mrs Pete
  • PRO
    Beth H. :
    3 years ago

I believe op said she's leaving it white. it's not bad and I don't think it will make a diff in sales.

but here's the red, and a few other colors

• PRO
    Flo Mangan
    3 years ago

Think about the white. It looks unfinished to me. If resale is in your future a deep red is great resale color.

• tealou
    Original Author
    3 years ago

A final thank you to all, especially Flo and Beth, for all the responses about our door/ curb appeal improvements. Slight chance I will revisit door color next Spring as it is now too cold in AK to paint outside; however now I need to tackle the inside renovations/flooring decisions and I'm soooo slow to make a decision.