SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
originalpinkmountain

Most bang for buck with seed saving options for new garden?

l pinkmountain
4 years ago
last modified: 4 years ago

I cut down a diseased blue spruce this week so now for the first time have a small sunny patch to start a vegetable garden on my property. It's about 8 feet square. I'm going to do two raised rectangular beds 3 feet wide, with a path in between. I kind of want to save seeds although not sure if I can get all open pollinated stuff this year. Too late to start seeds indoors, not sure what will be available ultimately in garden stores.

What plants will give me the most nutrition for the space? Also possible canning or other preserves. Already thinking peas, string beans, maybe small pickle cukes, dill . . . and then I'm not sure. Maybe carrots or beets. What are some smaller, seed saveable varieties? Not doing lettuce, I can grow that in some big pots on the deck. Maybe kale and or chard or collards. Tomatoes and peppers would be the ideal, but not sure about what kind I can get that I could save seeds for. Jalepeno, do those breed true? Whatever tomato I can get will be fine, wondering if I can save Rutgers seeds? That's my fave tomato. Also can probably get Brandywine, they are very popular here.

Any other easy varieties for seed saving recommendations would be great. I've saved seeds before but all from flowers like cosmos and marigolds and coneflower, and some herbs. Never vegetables other than dried field beans.

Comments (21)