SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jb721

Insulating an old home bang for the buck

JB721
12 years ago

My north Florida home was built in the 50's or 60's. It is mostly cinder block with a gable roof, one story. Unfortunately, the previous owner was a DIY'er who believed in shortcuts. The home is about 1200 sq ft in the main part but with additions the total area is about 1600 sq ft. One addition used to be a carport and doesn't have any insulation in the ceiling but I think it has some in the walls. The other addition (I believe) is the opposite. I haven't had occasion to confirm that 100% but that is my best guess based on some of the repairs I've had to do. The main part of the house has fiberglass insulation in the attic. The additions are a combination of stick built and cinder block. There are soffit vents all the way around and two vents (not sure what they're called) about 3 ft long near the peak of the roof. Being a big guy combined with the way the trusses are built and where the ducts are run in the attic, I can't get up there. I can see that at one point there was a vent or a fan in the gable above my bedroom but it is gone and has been covered over with vinyl siding but the plywood was not patched. There is currently no attic fan. My A/C unit is about 30 years old but has had some serious service/parts replacement done to it so I expect it to last a few more good years. As you might imagine, our electric bill is pretty high in the summer. I'd like to make some insulating upgrades but I'm not sure where to start. I don't want to pour a huge sum of money into it but we'll probably be here 5-10 years so an investment in insulation would have time to pay for itself (I would think) before we sell. The additions get extremely hot during the day from about April - December so I was thinking of starting there but I was also thinking of adding a powered attic fan on a thermal switch (or maybe solar since the hole is on the south side). Not sure what would provide the most bang for the buck. Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

Comments (5)