SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
texas_gem

Pineapple sensitivity

Texas_Gem
4 years ago

Anyone else have a mild sensitivity to pineapple?
I only realized it a few years ago. I noticed anytime I drank punch, (made frequently for wedding showers, baby showers, kids birthdays etc) all of which feature large amounts of pineapple juice, I enjoyed the punch but my mouth always felt really "dry" afterwards for lack of another way to put it.
I noticed nothing else I drink makes me feel an unquenchable thirst afterwards. Coffee, tea, sodas, alcohol, other juices, none of them make me want to drink large amounts of water in an attempt to make that raw feeling in my mouth and throat go away.
But if it contains large amounts of pineapple juice, including cocktails with a lot of pineapple juice, my mouth and throat feel dry.
So I started researching and found that I'm not alone.
Some people get a weird feeling in their mouth when they have pineapple. It can be due to the enzyme bromelain which is also used as a meat tenderizer.
So my mouth feels weird and dry because the enzyme is working on the soft tissues of my mouth.
It isn't severe but it has made me more aware and willing to avoid large amounts of pineapple.
I'm curious if anyone else has this or has otherwise discovered that they are mildly intolerant to something?

Comments (20)

Sponsored
Dream Baths by Kitchen Kraft
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars12 Reviews
Your Custom Bath Designers & Remodelers in Columbus I 10X Best Houzz