SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
cindy_niklas

Help with 1970's Kitchen with Monster Soffit

Beautiful Living
4 years ago

Hi,

I am looking for suggestion for how to handle my hideous 1970's soffits. In a perfect world, I would remove them, but the cost would be a huge hit to my budget. I have toyed around with the idea of extending the ugliest soffit that is over the sink to the edge of the window because we will be adding additional base cabinets below the window that extend to the right edge of the windows. If I do this I plan on also adding a bookcase or open storage in between the window and fireplace that extends to the bottom of the soffit, but that is only if I cannot find another solution to my soffit problem.

These suckers are a whopping 24" deep on the window wall where there are no cabinets and they extend to the ceiling. I have cathedral ceilings in this room which peak at the beam above the windows. The soffits extend 12" out from my cabinets to house recessed lighting.

I am willing to paint or refinish the cabinets if needed. They are not my favorite finish but I would consider leaving them the dark brown stain if I can make it work. Replacing or refacing the cabinets are out of budget at the moment.

The flooring is a rustic natural finish red oak floors. The island is on wheels and has a black granite top. My current countertops on the rest of the cabinets will be replaced because I think they are ugly and they do a great job of hiding food and sticky spots. I will likely replace them with natural stone such as a light granite or quartzite countertop. In my area it costs the same to install stone countertops as it does to install a high-quality laminate.

I'd love to hear your suggestions. Thank you in advance for your help.

Comments (2)