SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
webuser_775359195

Feedback on basement walkout for small residential home.

HU-775359195
4 years ago
last modified: 4 years ago

Images Here: https://imgur.com/a/ogSe4jz

I’ve been hesitant to post this. I’m more self-conscious and insecure than I probably should be, but I’ve been struggling with small residential project for a while now, and could use some outside input. I have a lot of respect for the work that is posted here and the opinions of many of you so I would kindly ask that you be charitable/constructive if you offer feedback on this.

The project isn’t grand, it's a small home with a walk out basement, attic truss & bonus room upstairs. It’s on a very restrictive lot, there are budget issues, setback issues, the options are limited. I’ve had to get creative to get some of the desired features and maximize the utility of the lot/space.

The goal is to add roof over a basement walkout, there will be snow issues I’m aware, and plan on placing snow guards and engineering the roof to withstand the loads.

My primary concern right now is the appearance of the outside retaining wall which also serves as a 36-inch (above grade) “railing” for the 6-foot drop into the basement walkout below.

The inside and outside are very different. It’s not immediately clear that there is a walkout from the exterior and the concrete wall resembles a landscape wall. Adding some “posts”/”newels” to the exterior really helps break up the wall and gives the posts for the roof something to terminate into.

This does not, however, look good from the inside where the same posts would need to drop 8 feet.

I’ve searched for reference to see how others have handled similar problems but can’t seem to find much. Most of the time I just see metal posts resting on walls anchored by brackets into the top.

Maybe that’s the way to go, but my gut tells me I need a little more to tie this together.

My primary concern now is if I do have the decorative concrete posts on the exterior and not on the interior how do I resolve that? Right now I’m stopping the posts half way into the wall and having them “key” together ( see images ).

Any thoughts would be appreciated. I really want to do the right thing here and don’t want to produce something that looks gaudy, fake, or overly-complex.

Comments (7)