SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
kenny_adams80

How to address load bearing wall with vaulted ceiling?

Kenny Adams
4 years ago

My house has 6 bedrooms squeezed into a small-ish footprint. The space is not used well overall and it feels like there are too many walls in the house. There is a second floor addition and a door at the top of the stairs that lets you walk right into the attic space over the half of the house without the addition. We'd like to:

1. Give up the smallest bedroom on the 1st floor and open up the wall between the kitchen and living room.
  2. Get rid of the attic space described above and vault the ceiling in the new open space (there's a garage, unfinished basement, and more attic/crawl space over the addition for storage)
  3. Reconfigure the windows and general layout in the kitchen
  4. The stairs that go to the second floor are currently walled off with a door. We would blow open that wall to create an open staircase.

The wall between the kitchen and living room is load-bearing. Adding a beam may be cost-prohibitive and generally we don't mind the look of support pillars if they're done right. I can't find any pictures showing what this may look like with a vaulted ceiling, or if it is doable at all? I should also note that we're open to different styles of the vaulted ceiling (exposed rafter ties and walling off up at the collar ties, or walling off the raised rafter ties which still buys us an extra couple feet of ceiling height).

I hope everything stated here makes sense. Layouts showing everything described above are attached. Interested to hear any ideas regarding the load-bearing wall and the vaulted ceilings, as well as any other feedback on the plan.

Current floor plan (1st Floor)

Current Floor Plan (2nd Floor... the storage space will become the open ceiling and we'll wall off the door leading into it)

Proposed Floor Plan (1st Floor)

Comments (23)

Sponsored
Rodriguez Construction Company
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Industry Leading Home Builders in Franklin County, OH