SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
annegriet

My sewing machine broke...

Annegriet
4 years ago
last modified: 4 years ago

So, I've been sewing up a storm. Started a quilt. Making masks. I've really been enjoying myself! I even got out some skirt patterns. But then, the machine went kaput. It's a Singer Fashion Mate 3342. I've had it 4 or 5 years. It's always been finicky. I've tried everything but the top thread gets all tied and bunched up in the bobbin tray. It's a hot mess. I've cleaned it and rethreaded it a dozen times. Most of the parts seem to be plastic. I have my Mom's Singer from the 60s. I had it "tuned up" for her right before she passed. I have no idea how to use her machine. It was expensive to get the tune up. This summer, my friend who is a sewing whiz is supposed to teach me how to use it. I'm looking to buy an inexpensive machine just for my "corona-cation." I'm not sure my broken machine is worth fixing. Or, maybe I should bump up to a better machine? Any recommendations? Brand? Model? Thanks! Appreciate any help/advice.

Comments (39)

• socks
    4 years ago

Since you sew, why not give your moms machine a try? How tricky can something from the 60’s be? Nothing ventured, nothing gained, right? There might even be a users guide online, or the sewing forum here would probably be happy to help you.

Annegriet thanked socks
  • Aglitter
    4 years ago

You can try adjusting the tension on the bobbin holder itself. It might be too tight. There is usually a little screw yo can turn. You can tell when the tension is right if you hold the thread and can make the bobbin move downward if you jerk the thread slightly after having put the bobbin into the bobbin holder. Too loose and it won't hold its position on the thread, too tight and it won't jerk downward with a quick flick.

I have a Bernina machine and love it. Any of the newer models should be fine. I wouldn't waste money on a cheap machine unless you really are only going to have it out one day per year. They tend not to be very smooth with their operation.

Some of those old machines are still running to this day, so it never hurts to pull out the old one and give it a try.

Annegriet thanked Aglitter
  • Related Discussions

How much is my sewing machine worth?

Q

Comments (1)
    A straight-stitch of that vintage, unless it's the Singer Featherweight, sells for $15-50 depending on the area. It has to be in working condition.
    ...See More

invisible thread broke my machine!

Q

Comments (7)
    I'm so sorry for you and your machine! I used invisible thread on some hankie quilts, but then someone said they would be afraid that the thread would tear through the hankies since it was much stronger - I had not thought of that, so I've been hesitant to use it since. Karlene
    ...See More

Buttonholes and my old Kenmore Sewing Machine

Q

Comments (6)
    My late MIL had an old black Kenmore - she had a buttonhole attachment that came with hers and it worked like a charm. Call a sewing repair centre and have your model number ready and inquire if they can order you an attachment OR ask if they have a generic one that would fit (take the machine with you and get them to show you how it would work when you go pick it up). Check local thrift shops and see what they have..sometimes you can find exactly what you need for little cost. This means you would have to know if your machine is long or short shank....if you had another attachment like a zipper foot, you could hold it against the buttonholer and see if the shank is the same and screw is on the same side. I would definately call some repair places and get some prices or ask about old machine parts - some trade in machines are stripped of parts and attachments and you can get some great bargains. If you have a manual it should show you what the attachment for your machine looks like at least. I think if you need it soon, generic maybe the way to go. Budster
    ...See More

help with my pfaff sewing machines bobbin

Q

Comments (0)
    When writing about my bobbin problem on my pfaff it was mis spelled
    ...See More
  • morz8 - Washington Coast
    4 years ago

I have my mom's Singer from the 50's, 301A. It sews like a dream. For anything a little different, like a zig zag or buttonhole, you have to fiddle with attachments but for plain straight sewing whether a lingerie strap or denim hemming, nothing easier for tension and smooth seams.

I have a little Bernina that I wouldn't be without either, but I can't thread it blindfolded like I can the Singer ;0)

Don't get me started on the Baby Lock serger I bought used from a SIL - we have never become friends. I don't seem to have the patience to develop a relationship with it.

Annegriet thanked morz8 - Washington Coast
  • User
    4 years ago

Anne, when you say you cleaned it, does that mean removing the foot plate, bobbin case and cleaning and inspecting down under there and all around the feed dog? Is the top thread by any chance hanging up for some reason? Have you tried another spool of thread? Could the needle be in need of replacement? If you can say yes none of this is an issue, I say be brave and try the old machine. You can possibly find stuff online about the machine if you don't have the user manual, sometimes the old ones are online. I'd give it a try because those old machines sew like a dream.

Annegriet thanked User
  • hallngarden
    4 years ago

Try the 60's machine. It may surprise you. My 60's Singer is a great machine. Look online for the manual if you have issues. Here's wishing you happy sewing.

Annegriet thanked hallngarden
  • mindshift
    4 years ago

Problems with the bobbin thread are usually caused by tension issues of the spool thread. Even a dull needle can cause problems. Start by making sure the spool is positioned so the thread comes off the side away from you. It doesn't seem like this should make a difference, but experts say otherwise. Here is one SITE with a checklist of things to go over, and here is ANOTHER. Do a search for "sewing machine bobbin thread bunching up" to find more sites. Most will repeat reasons, but some will have new info and may explain the fix better. You should very rarely change the bobbin thread tension, and if you do so don't turn the screw more than 1/4 turn. Changing bobbin thread tension is usually because you used a thicker thread, so be sure to set the screw back to normal as soon as you finish the thick-thread project.

Annegriet thanked mindshift
  • Sherry8aNorthAL
    4 years ago

I love my Singer. I got it in 1970. I think it is a 68 model. It fills the bobbin in the machine where you use it and has a built in button hole maker and several zig zags.

Post a picture of both machines and their models. The model plate on mine is on the front right. This is a good web site for parts.

https://www.singeronline.com/

Annegriet thanked Sherry8aNorthAL
  • Lars
    4 years ago

A lot of the older machines (from the 60s, or so) are better than modern cheap machines, and so sometimes it is better to buy a good used machine. I also recommend avoiding anything that is computerized, as they are expensive (and sometimes impossible) to repair. My sister had a Bernina from the 60s that I used to use, and I wish she had given it to me when she got rid of it. I now have a Husqvarna 230 that I've had for 20 years, and it was expensive ($750) when I bought it, but you can buy used ones for much cheaper. I do need to replace the power cord, but otherwise I've had no problems with it.

An old Singer from the 60s or earlier should be a good option, if you already have one. I think they started going downhill in the 1970s, using cheaper parts and materials. I've had problems with their bobbins on the newer models when I tried to use a friend's machine.

I have a new Brother serger, and while I do not recommend Brother sewing machines, their serger is very good and very affordable. All sergers are difficult to thread, however.

Annegriet thanked Lars
  • nicole___
    4 years ago

After you've taken it ALL apart...cleaned everything, new needle...like ritaweeda said...I'd buy another "new" machine.

The needle on my Bernina jams if it gets pushed too hard. Glitchy! So I purchased a Brother Project Runway $128 @ Home Depot. I use it for mending construction clothing...or if I have the Bernina set up for embroidery...I'll switch machines. Joannes had a basic Singer for $99.99. You can't get YOUR machine serviced for that!

JMO Buying a 2nd machine....NEW.....isn't a bad idea.

PS....I purchased my $6k Bernina used...and inherited someone elses problems.

Annegriet thanked nicole___
  • abbisgram
    4 years ago

One thing I've learned is both your upper and lower threads must be the same weight. I used an older machine for small projects and repairs til last summer. I checked into getting it repaired but the best price I got was $100 just to look at it. I bought a Brother cs6000i, a different model than nicoles above. I love it. I have intentions of quilting but that hasn't happened yet. So far I've patched jeans and put a new zipper in a Carhartt coat. It performed wonderfully. I ordered from WM for faster shipping, can't remember exact price, it's priced at $150 now but also out of stock.

Annegriet thanked abbisgram
  • bee0hio
    4 years ago

I would definitely recommend giving your mom’s 60’s Singer a try. It’s pre computerized so I wouldn’t think it would be that complicated.

i have a 1948 Singer Featherweight that I love. We Featherweight owners are like a cult. They are favored especially by quilters. I have a high$ computerized Babylock machine also. It is fine, but I know it will never stand the test of time like the Featherweights do.

Btw, I would never by a $99 Singer. Way to much chance of nuthin but a headache. Singer quality took a dive many years ago is the prevailing opinion of many sewists.

Annegriet thanked bee0hio
  • Alisande
    4 years ago

If you don't have instructions for your mom's machine you might be able to snag an owner's manual on eBay for not much money.

I used a Kenmore for years. It was the top of their line when my DH bought it for me in the 1970s. I didn't have a dedicated spot for it, and at some point it got to be to heavy for me to lug up and down the stairs. So I, too, bought a Brother, the XR9500PRW Project Runway -- a different model from Nicole's, but similar. I love it!

Annegriet thanked Alisande
  • jemdandy
    4 years ago

When the upper thread bunches up in the bobbin area, its usually something wrong with the tension on the upper thread. We have a relatively new machine that began to have problems like you describe. I found it was the upper tension. The problem was that the upper tension mechanism is hidden. When threading the machine, the upper thread is passed into slots and you hope that ti gets into the tensioner. That wasn't happening on our machine. Also, some spools of thread give trouble, notable thread made of synthetics. That thread can be slippery. Watch out for any lubricants that may have gotten between the tension discs.

Annegriet thanked jemdandy
  • Elizabeth
    4 years ago

I have had good luck with manuals on this site:

https://www.manualslib.com/brand/singer/sewing-machine.html

Annegriet thanked Elizabeth
  • Cavimum
    4 years ago

Presser foot is in the "up" position when you thread the machine? I never knew that trick until 1991, and now think it's why I often had tension problems before that.

Annegriet thanked Cavimum
  • User
    4 years ago

Anne, I'm so glad for you. That has happened to me before, did everything I could think of and over again 3 times and then walked away. The walking away is the charm. But seriously, if you have an old mechanical machine you should seriously try to find instructions somewhere and try it. I still have my old 1970 Kenmore (avocado green) heavy as a ship anchor, all metal, all mechanical, no electronics. It runs like a well-kept old-lady Cadillac. Good thing to have for when the fidgety new one needs to go for a fix.

Annegriet thanked User
  • Elizabeth
    4 years ago

I too have a 1970's Kenmore that is an old workhorse. Beige. It is still humming along and can do zig-zag and buttonholes. No complaints. I have no need for a new one as I am not too much of a sewer.

Annegriet thanked Elizabeth
  • User
    4 years ago

I suspect that it was something to do with the top tension. Either it was not sitting properly between the tension discs, or it was slipping out of the take up lever, or your needle could have slipped down and out of place. When you changed needles and rethreaded you, obviously corrected that.

If it fails you I strongly advise what others have said to bring out that old Singer. There was a time when Singer put out some good machines. I still have and do use my moms old Singer from the 50's. It is light years better than any cheap one that you could buy. And all shopping is so complicated now. Most mechanical machines operate very much the same.

I also have a mechanical Bernina from the 70s. If it goes, I will break out the Singer again. It is just a matter of setting it up on the table. It is ready to go and I do use it once in a while.

Those old machines are great and most are very heavy. Some of these little lightweight cheap machines will just bounce all around the table. Not good!

Annegriet thanked User
  • hallngarden
    4 years ago

So happy you are sewing again. Hope you find time to check out your mother's old Singer. Mine is a model Singer 347 in a wooden folding desk made in 1968. It sews beautiful. Used to make all of our clothes, suits for myself and hubs , kids jeans, dresses, undies. There was never a day that I did not sew. I do one thing my sewing friends think is unnecessary . I clean my machine each night after sewing with a machine brush. Change needle each time I start a new garment. I oil and thoroughly clean every 4 months . All started when we bought as it was the first machine I owned that was not a treadle. At this point I continue as I think my extra care has kept it going for the past 52 years. Can you tell, I love my old Singer. It gives me many hours of joy.

Annegriet thanked hallngarden
  • Lars
    4 years ago

I have used a new sewing machine in over 10 years, and so my knowledge is somewhat dated. I did find this review of sewing machines, and they seem to like some of the newer Singer machines and also love the Brother. I used a Brother machine back in the 1980s and did not like it, but that was over 30 years ago, and they have obviously improved. I guess they have also improved the computerized machines since then as well.

One thing I did notice is that there has been a run on sewing machines, and so a lot of them are now unavailable - that is something I did not expect.

Annegriet thanked Lars
  • woodrose
    4 years ago

Be careful with old Singer machines from the 60's. That's when they began to replace the metal gears with plastic ones. I had a 1960's Singer that I absolutely loved, sewed like a dream; until a gear broke. That's when I learned about plastic gears and how they deteriorate with age. The gears can be replaced with metal gears, but I didn't know that before I got rid of the machine.

I still love vintage Singer machines and have two, a 301A long-bed and a 401a in a cabinet. I haven't sewn much on the 401, but every time I use the 301a, I realize again why I love this little sewing machine so much.

Google the model of your Mom's sewing machine and you will probably find a copy of a manual that will show you how to use it.

I'm so glad you were able to get your machine going again.

Happy sewing !

quiltingboard.com has a lot of info about all brands of vintage sewing machines.

Annegriet thanked woodrose
  • jemdandy
    4 years ago

cavimum: That's right, pressure foot UP for threading. Raising the pressure foot also relaxes/opens the upper tension parts and allows the thread to enter between the tension parts; Lowering the pressure foot closes/tightens the tension parts on the thread.

Annegriet thanked jemdandy
  • hisown
    4 years ago

I don't mean to hijack, but since you ladies all know about sewing machines: Since yesterday my presser foot can be lifted and lowered, but I can't get it to stay lifted. Any ideas on what I'm doing wrong?

Annegriet thanked hisown
  • nicole___
    4 years ago

Lars.....Thanks for posting that link. I book marked it! :0)

I too had a Kenmore sewing machine. It had cams that did simple embroidery or smocking. I wore it out after 27 years! I remember on my days off from work, I'd spend 8 hours repairing his blue jeans. New zippers. Holes. Ripped off belt loops. I swore....if we ever had enough money....I'd NEVER repair HIS jeans ever again! lol

Annegriet thanked nicole___
  • MizLizzie
    4 years ago

Yay! Do try the old Singer, though. All those old Singers are excellent, in my albeit limited experience. I have my husband’s grandmother’s Featherweight, and it is a truly awesome machine. I am so grateful to have inherited it.

Annegriet thanked MizLizzie
  • Cavimum
    4 years ago

Annegriet - Isn't it amazing how walking away from the sewing machine and coming back hours later can be magic? That is a lesson I learned ages ago. I'm so glad your machine is cooperating now.

hisown - If your presser foot won't stay in the lifted position, it might need to go to the hospital (sewing repair tech). If it is an older mechanical machine, there might be info online about how to open the machine up and have a look, especially if it is an older mechanical Singer.

• Cavimum
    4 years ago

... another thought ...

Many people are currently sewing masks for COVID19 protection. Lots of sewing machines have sat in a closet for years and are just now getting plugged into service. (pun intended ;-) ) Be sure the machine is oiled per the owner's manual first. Lubrication and oil can dry up or harden over time, just like a vehicle. YMMV

If you own a Janome machine with the horizontal bobbin, there is a small 1/8" - 3/16" inch wick in the center, under where the bobbin sits. The Janome owners manual never says where to oil their machines (at least, none of the three I've owned did) but that is the place to put a drop of Sewing Machine oil, per my sewing machine technician.

• tami_ohio
    4 years ago

I'm glad you got it working. Sometimes walking away, taking a break is all that is needed for many things not going right. (My knitting included!) I found this on Facebook the other day. It might help anyone who is having trouble with their machines. http://quiltingdigest.com/basic-sewing-machine-maintenance/?fbclid=IwAR3ohY6gq9aFGIGw2JOA68Vhk6Kk6YJM3r6PRvVpvjLulstxkbu4DGGxJf0  

I have 2 old Treadle machines, one was my great grandmother's, a White. The other was my DH's grandmother's, a Singer. I learned to sew on my mom's machine, but don't remember the make. I would also use the White Treadle. I loved that machine, but am afraid to use it, as I don't know if parts are available anymore, though I did find the leather belt in an Amish dry goods store a couple of years ago. For high school graduation, Mom and Dad gave me a new Kenmore, 1977. I still have it, and it works great. I also have a newer Viking 500 computerized machine. It doesn't do the heavy work that the Kenmore will do. I like both machines, but use the Viking the most. I had a White serger that eventually something broke and it would no longer do a rolled hem. Unfixable, but everything else worked. I gave it to my SIL to give to her young granddaughter who was learning to sew. I bought a cheap Singer serger, and haven't been able to do much with it. VERY difficult to thread, and breaks the thread every time. I am very disappointed with it.

• woodrose
    4 years ago

Tami_ohio, The first sewing machine I ever used was my Grandmother's Singer treadle. I believe I sewed through my 8-year-old finger at some point. Ouch !

hisown, It could be a broken spring, or something in the lever mechanism is worn out. I agree with Cavimum, you need a professional repair person for that.

• tami_ohio
    4 years ago

Woodrose, OUCH!

• gustaviatex
    4 years ago

If you have a machine that is working, hang on to it. There are hardly any available on line or in stores except expensive specialty machines. You can't even order black or white thread from Amazon without a wait.

I have been sewing on my 1975 Singer Genie until the bobbin winder broke last week. There is a rubber tire-type fitting that makes it engage the wheel when you push it over and I fear it has crumbled with age. Not sure I could find a part and who would repair it these days? So I ordered a new Singer One from Amazon and within hours the vendor cancelled it. Managed to get another Singer Curvey 8763 ordered and delivered. It is now "currently not available" as are most of the machines below $800.

And although the auto needle threader is awesome, I love the light and the ease of threading... it doesn't sew as well as the old machine. It is slower, the foot pedal is tiny and this "always stop with needle in the up position" sucks as it will take ANOTHER stitch forward or in reverse when you stop.

So I could probably send it back but who knows when they will get more machines in stock to choose from? I could keep sewing on the old Singer as I have learned to wind bobbins with my electric drill. It is a toss up!

• hisown
    4 years ago

Thanks for the advice on my presser foot. Presently I am still using it, just having to hold the lever up when I need it up. I want to make a couple more face masks for neighbors and family, so I'll deal with getting it fixed later.

• petalique
    4 years ago

Anne, I’m glad your machine is working again. It was wise of you to take a break from it before returning to change the threading and needle. Oftentimes, it is something simple, so it’s smart not to get frustrated.

” I have my Mom's Singer from the 60s”

I like playing with sewing machines — particularly older mechanical models. I am others here might be able to help you get your mom’s machine squared aware with you. It will be good to have a backup and it’s not always the best thing for a sewing machine to be packed away, unused.

How about sharing the model number or snapping a couple of pics of it and posting them? Depending on how long it’s been since it was tuned, you may need to give it a few drops of sewing machine oil, per the manual. Easy!

Great that you have started a quilt and that you’re making masks. Pictures?

Here is a link or two for your current Singer:

SINGER® FASHION MATE™ 3342 Sewing Machine - Threading

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wASqNKxvZqI

SINGER® FASHION MATE™ 3342 Sewing Machine Owner's Class

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zp_E_Hun0qE

• tami_ohio
    4 years ago

Also a thought with upper tension issues. I was told, and it might just have been a sales pitch, but it was at a high end quilting/embroidery machine store, but they said to stop using Coats and Clark thread, as it isn't the quality it used to be and sheds fuzz badly, which gets caught between the tension discs. I have switched to Guetermans (sp) thread as I needed to replace thread when I ran out. It is more expensive, but watch the sales. I don't really know if it's made any difference, or not. Just a thought. Oh, and I don't remember that store selling any thread except embroidery machine thread, so maybe they are right. I don't know, and they have retired and closed the shop.

• c t
    4 years ago

Nicole, I was told a "never again" story, but from the other side:

I worked with a woman whose Mom prepared her for wifely duties and motherhood (back in the fifties - sixties or so) She was a fountain of information on all things domestic. Her Mother had even taught her to darn socks. My colleague told us that she noticed thin areas in her husband's socks when they were newly married. She offered to darn them, and her husband was adamant that at the very least, **he could afford new socks when he needed them.** She was willing to do it as a newlywed trying to save money, but no.

Come to find out - - the groom's mother repaired socks, too. Apparently, she whipstitched pieces of scrap cloth over the holes. I can't imagine how uncomfortable those socks were! It was clear why he was willing to buy new ones.

• User
    4 years ago

gusta...., you can probably get a new wheel for the bobbin winder. Check out Sewing Parts online. I have ordered many things from them in the past.

• User
    4 years ago

gusta..., once again I advise you to look around. That is referred to as a "tire". There are some that are universal. If that is all that is wrong with your machine, it may cost you less than five bucks to fix it.

• wanda_va
    4 years ago

Definitely check out the Janome MC6600P! I have had mine for almost 9 years, and have never had any problems with it. The owner of the repair shop told me that the 6600 is the best of all the machines, and he services them all! I have never seen one negative comment about the 6600 on any of the forums I frequent.

It has the acufeed system, which is great for quilting (eliminates the need for a walking foot); automatic needle threader; automatic thread cutter; etc. It is much less expensive than Bernina, BabyLock, etc. Mine cost $1,400 new.

Sponsored
Daniel Russo Home
Average rating: 4.7 out of 5 stars13 Reviews
Premier Interior Design Team Transforming Spaces in Franklin County