SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
madamemarsh

What can I do to get rid of nutgrass in a newly planted out flowerbed?

Allison Marsh
4 years ago

I still consider myself a beginner gardener and did not know the "grass" in my flowerbed was actually the invasive weed nutsedge, and though we tilled it up and dug out as many roots/nuts we could find and let them all dry out and die, I have new nutsedge popping up between in my bed. I now know we weren't diligent enough at removing all of the nuts before replanting and that this is a very hard weed to get rid of. We had a very wet winter and though we added some sand for improved drainage in the flower bed (it has a great amount of earthworms just inches in and deeper so the soil quality seems good,) I'm having to hold back on watering my flowers to take away the extra water source from the nutgrass. I have petunias, marigolds, and hostas freshly planted so I don't want to kill or damage them and do not want to use any toxic herbicides either. I have read that mulitple applications of vinegar or sugar may do the trick by starving the root system of nutrients eventually, but is it possible to do apply either carefully enough between plants?

I live in Southeast Louisiana, zone 9 where it is already hot in the 80's and humidity levels will be rising soon.

Comment (1)